Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best BBQ restaurants you've been to.

Comments

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    edited August 2012
    At this point in the discussion, state-wise it appears that Texas wins!

I know when I was traveling a lot through DFW I was happy to get a slice of the BBQ brisket at whatever that airport Texas BBQ joint is. 
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57

Sorry, unable to recommend any place in Hawaii.

If you know of any, please let us know..........

Aloha

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    I haven't been to it, but for those of you in CO there is Moe's in Vail.  I think it's in Vail anyway.  They are from North Alabama.  One of my friends that owns 306 BBQ in Athens, AL did his internship there and modeled his place after Moe's.  Ya'll should try it out.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • ShedFarm
    ShedFarm Posts: 499
    In Virginia, Q Barbeque is Tuffy Stone's place. His first location is in Midlothian, VA, with others now open in Hampton and Glen Allen, and another under construction in Fredericksburg. 
    BJ (Powhatan, VA)
  • Archibald's in Northport, AL (just outside of Tuscaloosa). Amazing sliced pork butt sandwich. 
    Greenhawk - I agree about Big Bob Gibson's. I went there recently with very high expectations and was thoroughly disappointed in the meat.
    In Memphis - Rendezvous and Central BBQ
    Archibald's is the best.  I haven't been there since i moved from Tuscaloosa in 2004.  Hopefully I will find myself near there for lunch one day soon.  
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Wish I could remember the name, but the pics of Bryant's that come up on Google aren't it....too nice.  This place was a dump, old cafeteria trays, mixed matched second hand furniture, servers in white t-shirts.  I remember when you got to the end of the line they tossed about four slices of white bread on your tray.  Except that the food was pretty good, it was like an Army, or may prison, chow line.

Parking lot had a million dollars worth of cars in it.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• +1 on the Shed in MS. They have awesome baked potato salad!!!!
    LBGE 4/2012, MBGE 6/2012 & Mini 11/2013
    Rome, GA
  • eggteeth
    eggteeth Posts: 52
    Wish I could remember the name, but the pics of Bryant's that come up on Google aren't it....too nice.  This place was a dump, old cafeteria trays, mixed matched second hand furniture, servers in white t-shirts.  I remember when you got to the end of the line they tossed about four slices of white bread on your tray.  Except that the food was pretty good, it was like an Army, or may prison, chow line.

I'm thinking it was Gates.  Did they ask you very loudly "How may I help you"?

• BigC
    BigC Posts: 36
    Couple of others I really have enjoyed here in the Lone Star State:
    Angelo's in Ft Worth, TX
    Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just ate at Harmon's BBQ in Cibolo, an off-the-beaten-path hole in the wall in the middle of nowhere, based on a recommendation from one of the other eggheads on this forum.  I'm here in central TX on vacation and we don't have much BBQ in New Orleans, and I haven't tried Franklin's yet, but it's definitely the best Brisket I've had thus far.
  • Best I've had is a little joint off of I-95 in Brunswick, GA called the Georgia Pig. To this day, I wake up in hot sweats after dreaming of the Que I had there. Only had the chance to go twice, but I hope to make it back again soon.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Best I've had is a little joint off of I-95 in Brunswick, GA called the Georgia Pig. To this day, I wake up in hot sweats after dreaming of the Que I had there. Only had the chance to go twice, but I hope to make it back again soon.
    I've been to the Ga Pig a couple of times.  Food aside, it is an interesting place.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,666
    yankee smoke house in ossipee nh
    :D get yerself a pigs ear ale
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    There are a lot of good barbecue restaurants in the Birmingham, AL area, but my favorite for several years has been Jim 'n' Nick's.

Tim
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Pecan lodge in downtown Dallas. But since they filmed triple D with Guy there it's get there early or no soup for you. Opens at 11 line starts around 10:15. Only open Thurs-Sun, but weekends usually not as packed and also has burnt ends sometimes. Also want to try franklins in Austin, TX here it's insane.

I wasn't overly impressed. I went before the DDD days. Actually walked out back where the smoker was (before it was enclosed), met the owner and talked BBQ with him for awhile. Super nice guy, knew what he was talking about, so we went in and got some. When he spied me and Mrs. G eating, he brought over a bunch of stuff for us to try. It was good, probably best in Dallas, but that itsn't saying much.

I know some people are gonna groan and might get depressed, but I drove through Lockhart (and Luling) Thursday and Sunday. Didn't stop Thursday as I was by myself, had the dogs with me, didn't want to leave them in a black car and was in a rush to get to the ranch. Sunday, Mrs G and I just didn't feel like BBQ. Next time I will stop at City Market in Luling, though.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Never made it to Texas but I am sure they make great brisket.  We drove through Rochester N.Y. on our way to Boston and stopped at BBQ  place recommended by an acquaintance called Dinosaur BBQ and it was the best brisket that I had to that point.  I had made it myself on an offset smoker but never got why people raved about brisket, after eating there I understood.  I never really made anything comparable till we got the Green Egg.

Gerhard
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Dinosaur has great BBQ. They also have locations in:
    Syracuse, NY
    Troy, NY
    and Harlem, NY

It can be a little noisy due to the biker crowd buts its well worth a stop.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • City Market in Luling TX
    Large BGE and a couple non-greenies
    Roanoke TX
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Best BBQ joint.... :-? My backyard!!!!
    Mine too! However

Next best BBQ...Dreamland BBQ in Montgomery Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    When I was living in Illinois I went to Famous Dave's BBQ and loved it. They now have 2 spots here in Missouri where I live. One in Springfield and one in Branson and I still enjoy them both. I also like Hawgwild BBQ in Aurora, MO. I thought I would find some really good places here that were local but haven't so far. They have been okay but don't make you want to come back often.
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Well I ride a bike so maybe I am part of the problem ;) Gerhard
  • Before boarding a plane to head back home to Boston I drove a 4-hour round-trip for a pulled-pork sandwich in the middle of nowhere at Jones BBQ in Marianna, AK. It's the only thing on the menu. 

It was recognized by the James Beard Awards. 

You have to watch this video that ends with his first trip on a plane to NYC to pick up the award: http://www.todaysthv.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=210285

I say it's the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had, but after driving that far for a meal I have to say that. 
  • BGE4Life
    BGE4Life Posts: 34
    We used to live in St. Peters Missouri and always went to Super Smokers.  They used to have a bunch of restaurants but are down to a couple due to the bad economy.  Some of the best bar-b-que I have ever tasted.  
  • Austin folks, maybe you can help me. Was there for business a few years ago and the folks I was seeing took me to a BBQ joint up on a hill with a great view. Spoke to the owner who told us the place used to be a speakeasy back in the day. They are known for beef ribs, and they were quite good. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place, but I'd like to go back sometime. Anybody know what I'm talking about?
  • Austin folks, maybe you can help me. Was there for business a few years ago and the folks I was seeing took me to a BBQ joint up on a hill with a great view. Spoke to the owner who told us the place used to be a speakeasy back in the day. They are known for beef ribs, and they were quite good. For the life of me, I can't remember the name of the place, but I'd like to go back sometime. Anybody know what I'm talking about?

County Line. Beef ribs are good. Everything else sucks. Haven't been there in15 years but drive by it every week if that tells you anything. They have 2 locations. One on the hill and one on Lake Austin. Tourist place.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130

it was definitely arthur bryant's.
  • alynd
    alynd Posts: 130

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=643&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=tjDULK8YAjfOMM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:09-01-06-ArthurBryant-int.jpg&docid=4O4CUx76G1LmFM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/09-01-06-ArthurBryant-int.jpg&w=800&h=600&ei=2dMrUOTzIOXy2QX2lICIAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=332&sig=109163468771659471112&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:120&tx=94&ty=33
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Dinosaur has great BBQ. They also have locations in:
    Syracuse, NY
    Troy, NY
    and Harlem, NY

Never seen a biker crowd at the one in Harlem. 
    Lots of yuppies though.
    Couple of others I really have enjoyed here in the Lone Star State:
    Angelo's in Ft Worth, TX
    Salt Lick in Driftwood, TX
    I enjoyed the Salt Lick in driftwood as well. 

Saving this thread for my next trip to Tx. or elsewhere! 
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Doc_Eggerton
    edited August 2012

http://www.google.com/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=643&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=tjDULK8YAjfOMM:&imgrefurl=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:09-01-06-ArthurBryant-int.jpg&docid=4O4CUx76G1LmFM&imgurl=http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/ea/09-01-06-ArthurBryant-int.jpg&w=800&h=600&ei=2dMrUOTzIOXy2QX2lICIAw&zoom=1&iact=rc&dur=332&sig=109163468771659471112&page=1&tbnh=141&tbnw=193&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:14,s:0,i:120&tx=94&ty=33
    OK, if you Google Arthur Bryant's you get a different picture, but the new link you sent is it.  That's just how it looked, except I remembered it not being quite that nice.  Wasn't real pretty outside either.