Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Health Related green egg problems

Rubmyrock
Rubmyrock Posts: 266
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I've had my egg since April and it is directly responsible for two trips to the Doctor. I'm a powerlifter and work out on a regular basis but I've had three major gout attacks since purchasing my egg. Doctor says its from red meat and alcohol which I've probably tripled
in consumption since becoming an over the top egghead. No way I'm cutting back now. A friend suggested eating cherries and chugging baking soda water to cut the uric acid which causes gout. Any of you guys suffer from gout attacks?

Comments

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Had a couple but went to see my osteopath. He adjusted my kidneys and I have been good since.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    :-h

I used to have gout issues but I manage that by diet and exercise now.  Haven't had a flare up in 2 years.  Yes, I limit my intake of red meat which helps a lot....no steak is worth the pain i've endured from a gout attack.  Just throw in some chicken here and there and don't overindulge the red meat and put yourself in food coma.  I also don't drink sodas.

I've been told that Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar really helps.  A friend of a friend swears by it now as he no longer has gout flare ups after getting chronic attacks.  This fool is a slob, eats whatever he wants and doesn't exercise one bit.  He takes a shot every morning and claims it's been his miracle fix.  A co-worker was in the middle of gout flare up (in his knee) and pounded the apple cider vinegar after I told him about.  His knee was 80% better by the time he went to sleep and almost no remnants when he woke the next morning.  He know drinks their beverages once a day instead of shots.  Give it a whirl as it seems effective.

In addition, your PCP should be able to prescribe a preventative medicine like Uloric or Allopurinol.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    not too put too fine a point on it, those aren't green egg problems, those are eating problems.

we buy these grills, start cruising the forum, and our eating habits can take a real nose dive.

that said, there's plenty of good food that will give to time at the BGE without the same problems.
    a little moderation, and you shouldn't miss a thing.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike said:

not too put too fine a point on it, those aren't green egg problems, those are eating problems.

we buy these grills, start cruising the forum, and our eating habits can take a real nose dive.

that said, there's plenty of good food that will give to time at the BGE without the same problems.

+1

I couldn't figure out how to word it.

XLBGE 
  • @rubmyrock. I get your message. The Egg has also increased my alcohol and meat intake. Darn that egg
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    my alcohol intake increased my grill purchasing.  my grill purchasing increased my food interests.  my food interests increased my cooking.  my cooking increased my alcohol intake. deadly circle of consumption.  thanks OBAMA!
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Fellow gout sufferer here get it so bad I can't walk. I did an arthritis elimination diet in January in order to find my trigger foods. Soy, chicken, eggs, soda and chocolate actually trigger my gout. I have not totally eliminated these items now I just watch my intake. I have had one flare up since when I went on a week long chocolate binge and really paid for it. Doc has given me some little green pills that I take if I do get a flare up they clear it up in 24hrs. My Dad gets it as well his triggers are tomatoes and coke. Find out your triggers and your fine I would do it as every gout attack tends to be more painful
    Lynnwood WA
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    Yea well this forum (A direct result of getting my egg) has made me go out and buy things I only heard about before like Tito's Vodka, and Woodford Reserve. :D
    (wasn't a bourbon drinker, but figured, something has to be good about it for it to be mentioned so much here.)
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    Yea well this forum (A direct result of getting my egg) has made me go out and buy things I only heard about before like Tito's Vodka, and Woodford Reserve. :D
    (wasn't a bourbon drinker, but figured, something has to be good about it for it to be mentioned so much here.)

When you need to reload, try Woodford's new "Double Oak" bourbon-I find it noticeably smoother.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Lots of Bourbon talk around here lately...

I'm Canadian so bourbon really isn't the "go to" that beer or scotch are...  Before I go dig up a bottle at my liquor store... what's the fuss? 
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • stike
    well. what's the fuss about scotch?

directly analogous.
  • BRush00
    That's exactly the answer I was looking for Stike - thanks.  I don't get what the fuss about Scotch is either... I had a friend who drank it all the time... Me, I just plain ol' don't like it.

I'll stick with my cocktails and martinis.
  • I'll stick with my cocktails and martinis.
    I'm with you.

But Burboun is delicious in a cocktail. I like a finger of Maker's Mark (my girlfriend drinks it), a few ice cubes, and top of the tumbler with lemonade. Delicious.
  • acr
    acr Posts: 27

I'm Canadian so bourbon really isn't the "go to" that beer or scotch are...  Before I go dig up a bottle at my liquor store... what's the fuss? 
    As a Canadian, I prefer bourbon to scotch...  so it's that or beer (to be true to my home and native land)

• stike
    edited August 2012
    no one likes their first beer. i don't care who you are.
    thereafter, it's all learned.  all taste is learned, in my mind.

if your first sip of scotch (or beer, bourbon, gin) is some cheap crap your 13 year old buddy stole from the back of his dad's liquor cabinet, then you aren't going to become a fan.

but if you are sitting down with someone who knows their stuff, and they say "alright, try this one first.  this is... blah blah blah"  and they walk you thru exactly what you are having, and they introduce you to it, you have a much better chance at a lightbulb moment. then they say "alright, now try this one.  this is the same thing, but here's what the differences are", and suddenly you have something to work with and understand.

the distillers are all trying to make ethanol out of sugars and yeast.  they want to get sh!tfaced, and ethanol's what does it.

some dude lives where there is corn. fine, lets use that. another russian guy has only potatoes, or wheat, that'll work.  what about this rye? yep, if that's all we have around here, we can get drunk from that too.

if they did their jobs perfectly, they'd sell bottles of nearly 100% ethanol (EverClear, anyone?).  but that's a little tough to pull off. even that stuff is 'only' 90-95% ethanol. your 'best' vodkas may be the purest ethanol (thinned with water). near flavorless.  neutral for mixing into drinks, but simply designed for getting you drunk.  there's some rare few that can pick out differences and appreciate them, but vodka is basically 'neutral'. if you are a bored Englishman, you might throw in some herbs while you are distilling what would otherwise end up as vodka. and you can call that 'gin'.

the guy in scotland might malt his grain over peat smoke. so his will have flavors from the malt and the smoke, and he's either not expert enough to distill it to the point where all that is gone, so it ends up flavoring his alcohol.  later, maybe they start to like it, and then actvely work on distilling it in such a way as to get rid of the off flavors and keep the ones they like.  they call it scotch.

some dude an ocean away uses corn maybe, and he lives in a county called 'bourbon'.  his corn, maybe with rye added, because that's what he has, gets fermented.  they didn't use peat to stop the barley from sprouting, so they don't have the smoke flavor of peat like that unfortunate scottish guy ends up with.  but they do have these barrels here.  well, when you make an oak barrel, you burn the might char the inside of it while trying to get the staves to bend.  or maybe you don't want the flavor of whatever was in the old barrel to wreck your alcohol, so you burn it out and scrape it clean. whatever the reason, when they put their clear distillate in the charred barrel to store it, they find that the real old stuff in the back of the warehouse got colored by soaking into the wood and then leaching stuff out of the barrel, and so it picked up some flavors and sugars too from it.  damn. hadn't planned on that. now looks ruined, all brown, and smells a little smokey from the barrel too. damn. well, let's just taste it then before we throw it out...

aaaaaaand   bourbon

(oversimplified)

now, hand a glass of that to a 12 year old boy who is just trying to get into trouble, who isn't going to pick up on this flavor or that, and just wants to impress his friends, and he ain't gonna like it.  he'll pretend he does.  but it won't be til he's gotten out in the world and tried enough stuff, and can pick up on flavors in foods, appreciate different things and people, enjoy a cigar maybe, and appreciate slowing down and relaxing after dinner, that he )or she) may start to say "you know, i think there's something to this after all."

i never liked wine much. drank it, sure.  what's the big fuss? i'll stick with my box of cheap crap.  of course, that box of cheap crap was why i never liked wine to begin with. but if you don't like that, why would you spend even MORE money on wine? no thanks, if i am not going to like something, i'll just buy the cheap version. maybe mix it into stuff too, so i don't have to taste it.

but then, out to dinner, a great meal, great friends, and someone who knows something about wine orders a real bottle.  here, try this.

and then you're all "OH. so THAT'S what they're talking about..."

• BRush00

but then, out to dinner, a great meal, great friends, and someone who knows something about wine orders a real bottle.  here, try this.

and then you're all "OH. so THAT'S what they're talking about..."

Well put Stike - very well put indeed.  You're talking to somebody who enjoys wine, and is working on his wine knowledge/palate, so thank you for yet another light bulb moment over here. 

My friend always tried to feed me 12, 15, and once 18 year Glennfiddich Scotch... while it wasn't the worst taste in the world, I just didn't enjoy it.  More than likely I simply wasn't truly "tasting" it, just drinking it.

Perhaps, one of these days, I'll have to give it another "true" shot.

• BRush00
    Oh - and back to the Original Point of the thread...

BOO for the Egg assisting me in gaining weight!!! *waves pitchfork around*

More than likely the bigger contributor is that I haven't been on my bike in a month...
  • stike
    edited August 2012
    the problem with those scotches is maybe hitting the older stuff too soon.

by total stroke of luck, the first bottle i bought was cragganmore.  it's a lighter scotch. very little smoke, and pretty malty. i won't call it entry level, because it is a pretty cool little scotch.  but it is like the Beatles early stuff.  Or Mozart.  A great way to get hooked, catchy, but yet still grounded enough and a 'real' enough example to allow you a place to explore from and return to.

from there, i explored a little, and when i got to the older stuff, or the Islay scotches (very smokey), i had had some time with the BGE and really paying attention to what i was eating/drinking. 

i finally landed on Laphroaig 10 year. BOOM. 

making beer helped too.  oh THAT'S why beer smells the way it does.  etc.
    adding the ingredients and timing things really let you understand what was what, why things taste the way they do. made a HUGE difference.

otherwise, your first hit of a very complex thing (old scotch, fine wine, complex beer) isn't "wow, this is complex" it's more like "what the hell are all these strange flavors coming at me from every frigging angle". 

[the laphroaig worked out for me very well one night. had a gorgeous waitress serving us three meathead guys. of the three guys, they are taller, beefier meatheads.  I'm the bookish nerd. they are drinking scotch when i arrive. i order the laphroaig at the bar and head over to the table. one of my buddies says "what's that?" "Laphroaig".  He says "Yeah, I thought so. Can smell it from here. I tried it because you always talk it up, but i think somethings wrong with it.  seemed too strong, off. is that how it is?"  I give him some grief about being a pansy (he outweighs me by 60 pounds, maybe 6'-3" tall).  so over comes the stacked waitress.  MUST. LOOK. AT. HER. EYES.  she flashes a smile that guarantees a big tip, because we are that shallow, and says "good evening gentlemen. well. who's drinking the Laphroaig? That's my favorite scotch. Only real men drink Laphroaig."  I said, "well, that'd be me." and wink at my buddy who busts out laughing. Now.  I'm happily married.  and i don't think she'd have gone home with me just because of my scotch, either.  but i talked to her for a good few minutes while my two buddies stared at their menus and sipped the bud lights.]
  • galen
    galen Posts: 57
    Brandy.........................
  • stike
    yeah yeah ...insert joke here about her being a real man
    hahaha
  • ratcheer
    ratcheer Posts: 189
    edited August 2012
    I've had my egg since April and it is directly responsible for two trips to the Doctor. I'm a powerlifter and work out on a regular basis but I've had three major gout attacks since purchasing my egg. Doctor says its from red meat and alcohol which I've probably tripled in consumption since becoming an over the top egghead. No way I'm cutting back now. A friend suggested eating cherries and chugging baking soda water to cut the uric acid which causes gout. Any of you guys suffer from gout attacks?
    Yes, I'm afraid so. Cherries do help some. I like fresh dark cherries, but even the packaged dried ones and cherry juice help, too. I also take an inexpensive prescription drug, Allopurinol (sp?). And when it really hurts, I take large doses of Aleve (500 mg twice per day).

It is Catch-22. If you don't eat a lot of meat, you get fat. If you do, you get gout. However, my doctor says it is really more a matter of individual body chemistry than diet. On the other hand, I've heard that the very worst things for gout are sardines and anchovies.

Tim
  • ratcheer

The fuss is that bourbon actually tastes good. ;)

Tim
  • victim
    victim Posts: 23
    Powerlifting can"t be good for gout either I bet. Since you probably love all three I would cut back on your least favorite of the three. My order (3 being last to go):

1) Power Lifting

2) Rich foods

3) Alcohol

Just kidding around, good luck with the gout, I know people who suffer from it and it doesn't look fun.
  • ratcheer

My "Boom" scotch is The Balvenie 15 year.

Tim
  • ratcheer
    Hey! About 30 mins ago, I drank about an ounce of apple cider vinegar after reading through this thread. Right now, my gout pain is much reduced. Thanks for the tip.

Tim
  • lousubcap said:

When you need to reload, try Woodford's new "Double Oak" bourbon-I find it noticeably smoother.

+1

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    edited August 2012
    lousubcap said:

Thanks for the tip Cap. Funny thing was i saw it "on sale" at A&P and decided why the heck not.
    I figure I have 750 ml to go with the training wheels. :D and let me really appreciate it.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    ratcheer said:

Hey! About 30 mins ago, I drank about an ounce of apple cider vinegar after reading through this thread. Right now, my gout pain is much reduced. Thanks for the tip.

Tim

Happy to help another gout brother!! Also excited to get more feedback that apple cider vinegar actually works for gout.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321

+1 and you can find out how good chicken and fish and veggies taste when Egged.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    the problem with those scotches is maybe hitting the older stuff too soon.

by total stroke of luck, the first bottle i bought was cragganmore.  it's a lighter scotch. very little smoke, and pretty malty. i won't call it entry level, because it is a pretty cool little scotch.  but it is like the Beatles early stuff.  Or Mozart.  A great way to get hooked, catchy, but yet still grounded enough and a 'real' enough example to allow you a place to explore from and return to.

from there, i explored a little, and when i got to the older stuff, or the Islay scotches (very smokey), i had had some time with the BGE and really paying attention to what i was eating/drinking. 

making beer helped too.  oh THAT'S why beer smells the way it does.  etc.
    adding the ingredients and timing things really let you understand what was what, why things taste the way they do. made a HUGE difference.

otherwise, your first hit of a very complex thing (old scotch, fine wine, complex beer) isn't "wow, this is complex" it's more like "what the hell are all these strange flavors coming at me from every frigging angle". 

[the laphroaig worked out for me very well one night. had a gorgeous waitress serving us three meathead guys. of the three guys, they are taller, beefier meatheads.  I'm the bookish nerd. they are drinking scotch when i arrive. i order the laphroaig at the bar and head over to the table. one of my buddies says "what's that?" "Laphroaig".  He says "Yeah, I thought so. Can smell it from here. I tried it because you always talk it up, but i think somethings wrong with it.  seemed too strong, off. is that how it is?"  I give him some grief about being a pansy (he outweighs me by 60 pounds, maybe 6'-3" tall).  so over comes the stacked waitress.  MUST. LOOK. AT. HER. EYES.  she flashes a smile that guarantees a big tip, because we are that shallow, and says "good evening gentlemen. well. who's drinking the Laphroaig? That's my favorite scotch. Only real men drink Laphroaig."  I said, "well, that'd be me." and wink at my buddy who busts out laughing. Now.  I'm happily married.  and i don't think she'd have gone home with me just because of my scotch, either.  but i talked to her for a good few minutes while my two buddies stared at their menus and sipped the bud lights.]
    She musta been drinking shine if she went home with you. Classy, intelligent, beautiful and all that. I can't figure out how they choose.

Steve 

Caledon, ON