Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Select Packer Brisket tips?

AleBrewer
AleBrewer Posts: 555
edited August 2012 in EggHead Forum
I found a few packers at Wally World last week and got the biggest one, just over 10lbs. I have always looked for choice briskets in the past, and have had good luck, but this was like $2.59/lb, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Any tips on getting this to come out tender and moist? It's pretty flexible.....I can bend it in half in the cyrovac. It's from Excel packing.

I want good bark.....so no foil or braising if possible. I plan on smoking it at 230° grate temp. Would a bit higher help?

Thanks!

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I'd do it faster so it doesn't dry out. Maybe 280-300 grid. If the bark starts to burn, lightly foil.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • AleBrewer said:

I found a few packers at Wally World last week and got the biggest one, just over 10lbs. I have always looked for choice briskets in the past, and have had good luck, but this was like $2.59/lb, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

Any tips on getting this to come out tender and moist? It's pretty flexible.....I can bend it in half in the cyrovac. It's from Excel packing.

I want good bark.....so no foil or braising if possible. I plan on smoking it at 230° grate temp. Would a bit higher help?

Thanks!

+1 with Travis. In spite of theirnreputation, I've done a bunch of good select Briskets when I didn't know any better. Sometimes ignorane is bliss I might not go 300 but i really don't have a good reason why not. I would definitely do it hotter and faster. 1 hr per
    Lb or less which would put you around 260-300 at the grid.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AleBrewer
    OK.......You guys talked me into it. I will give it a shot at around 275° grid temp.

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    AleBrewer said:

OK.......You guys talked me into it. I will give it a shot at around 275° grid temp.

Sweet. I always shoot for a 300 done temp. Sometimes it's higher and sometimes lower. I wouldn't fuss with + or - 30 degrees.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • AleBrewer
    That's why I figure I'll shoot for 275° and not worry about it if it goes a bit higher.

I will admit that this will be the first time cooking a brisket that high. I will let you know how it turns out. Hope to get it going tomorrow morning. At 1hr/lb.....I don't have to try for an overnight cook.

Thanks.
  • AleBrewer
    So the brisket is done....came out pretty good. Besides cooking that high for the first time, I also cooked it fat side down. Can't say if this is  or not?

The point was very tender, and the flat not as much. No huge complaints though....can't pin that that on the select grade. I've had choice briskets come out flat too.

The John Henry's rub was also pretty good. Had a nice bark to it.

Thanks for the help! I will look for a choice packer next time, but will continue to cook them at higher temps.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    AleBrewer, I got the same package in 13.5lb from Wally World. Cutting mine for burgers, pastrami, and Low n slow. I'm interested to hear how you made out.
  • AleBrewer
    Brownie...it was ok, not my best brisket ever, but not my worst either. I would think you'd be fine for burgers and pastrami.

• I tell people this all the time and it's true: I would rather cook a select packer than a prime flat any day. I've done some great select packers and I can't recall ever doing a great flat of any kind.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AleBrewer
    No doubt.....if I could buy just the point, I surely would.
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    With all the flats found here on the east coast I'm surprised you can't purchase the point exclusively.
  • AleBrewer
    There are tons of flats up here in new england.....what the heck do they do with all those points?