Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Jumping fire ??

Options
waltinva
waltinva Posts: 36
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Had a strange one the other night. We were pulling them steaks off and there was a loud crack and the whole fire "jumped". I thought the cast iron fire grate must have broken. I just got done cleaning and inspecting the entire egg. No damage to anything so it had to be something in the lump. Anyone else had something like this happen? The lump was some left over Wicked Good with some Wegmans dumped on top.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Sounds like a flashback to me. If you throw your lid open at high temps or after choking down a hot fire, it adds a rush of O2 to the fire and can make a loud noise and burn your arm hair and eyebrows off. It's more scary than dangerous but it's happened to most of us at least once.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • waltinva
    waltinva Posts: 36
    Options
    The lid was already open. We were taking the steaks and corn off when it happened.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    A piece of lump could have exploded, popped or cracked.
    ah- I thought you were going in for your steaks. NOLA could have it. The temps are skyrocketing with the dome open. it could have popped a piece of lump. Not completely uncommon with the cheap lump I use sometimes (Best of The West Mesquite)
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX