Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another Gasket Question

Options
tortaboy
tortaboy Posts: 29
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Chalk me up as another annoyed customer that BGE installs a totally inferior gasket on what is supposed to be a Premium product.

The options seem to be Nomex or Rutland.

From what I've read, the Rutland gasket seems bulletproof. 

Have any of you burned through Nomex  gaskets?

I love to make pizza, and am amazed that I bought a $1,200 clay cooker that I need to Mod.

Comments

• chuff
    chuff Posts: 255
    Options
    I burned by gasket to molten goo last night making pizza. I called BGE this morning and they're sending me a nomex gasket free of charge and no questions asked. I also had a bolt break on one of my hinges. I called them up and they sent me a complete hardware backup, so now I even have spares for my spares. Don't stew over it. Just call them. They'll make it right. 
    XL BGE
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I'm sitting on a nomex right now but I think I'm just going to go Rutland as long as I have everything torn down. I haven't heard anything bad about the Nomex but you it appears Rutland is the sturdiest of them all

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jleon401
    jleon401 Posts: 33
    Options
    I did the same on my third cook! I found a nomex one made by High-que. I haven't cooked too much on it since replacing, but so far so good!
    LBGE, Smoke Hollow 4-in-1, Charbroil Big Easy, and Weber Smokey Joe.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I cooked 6 pizza last week on my nomex, looks perfect.  I even had the plate setter legs down.
    I cooked 6 pizza last week on my nomex, looks perfect.  I even had the plate setter legs down.
    Good to know. Maybe I'll be the guinea Pig on one too. I already have one so I guess I'll give it a rip
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    I have some nomex flight suits left from my military days. They are olive drab so maybe my egg would look good dressed out in one
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    You forgot the third and best option......... NO GASKET. Its not needed. I haven't had a gasket since the second day of egg ownership. I recently smoked some tuna at 160 grid temp for 4 hours. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You forgot the third and best option......... NO GASKET. Its not needed. I haven't had a gasket since the second day of egg ownership. I recently smoked some tuna at 160 grid temp for 4 hours. 
    man, mine is a wreck with no gasket. Cant keep temps down, all my lump burns off when I shut down. I've tried to adjust it but there are some huge gaps and it has been horrible for me. Teach me.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    travisstrick, this rhetoric reminds me of the "burn your bra" liberation movement of the 60's.  "I don't need no stinkin' gazkette!!"
    Options

travisstrick, this rhetoric reminds me of the "burn your bra" liberation movement of the 60's.  "I don't need no stinkin' gazkette!!"
    Yea, but in the 60's it was nice seeing all the headlights on. Weeee...

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    edited July 2012
    Options
    man, mine is a wreck with no gasket. Cant keep temps down, all my lump burns off when I shut down. I've tried to adjust it but there are some huge gaps and it has been horrible for me. Teach me.
    Exactly, mine too and why I put my Rutland on. Some base/lids match up better than others.  I'd burn up all my lump without a gasket.

Packerland, Wisconsin