Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My First Turbo Butt

grillingunner
grillingunner Posts: 116
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well I started this morning on my first turbo butt. I will post more pics throughout the day. I put mustard on the butt and Bad Byrons Butt Rub last night. Hopefully it will turn out good. More pics to come once it is done.

LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• Times and temps please
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012

This is how I did mine: Butt Rub and mustard just like grillingunner.

·         Hot'n fast, 350 for 3 hours to internal to around 160, then wrap in foil and 2 more hours to 195 and then let it rest for an hour or so wrapped in towels in a ice chest. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun!<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

·         Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I did a 5.5 LB butt and I had it on for 7.5 hours for an internal temp of 200 degrees. Egg was fluctuating a little between 345 and 355. I was trying to keep it at 350.  I used the FTC method because we are not planning on eating for a couple of more ours. It smells wonderful. I hope it tastes as good as it smells.  After I pull and eat it I will post results.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • This turned out wonderful! This egg is going to make me gain some weight for sure.
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited July 2012
    This turned out wonderful! This egg is going to make me gain some weight for sure.

Very true statement. Also have you checked to be sure you are getting a correct read on the temp. Just seems at around 350 and a 5 lb butt it was taking a while.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• This turned out wonderful! This egg is going to make me gain some weight for sure.

I calibrated my dome thermometer and it is dead on. I am not sure why it took so long I did not think it was going to take that long. Do you know about how long a turbo butt should take per pound. Very true statement. Also have you checked to be sure you are getting a correct read on the temp. Just seems at around 350 and a 5 lb butt it was taking a while.

LBGE And MINI Egg