Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bark Bark Bark

Options
crunk
crunk Posts: 94
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

Ok, some of you may have seen or commented on my post last week about getting good bark on a butt. I was having some issues and got some really good advice from a lot of you (especially cen-tex).

I had to cook for about 20 people yesterday so decided to put two 8 lb butts on Friday night around 11:30. They cooked until the following day until about 12:45 (little overf 13 hours).

The bark this time was much much better. My process was as follows..

After i trimmed the excess fat i injected with a mixture of cider vineagar, water, salt, sugar, worschestire.

Applied a coat of yellow mustard, then liberally applied my big bob gibson dry rub (this was the first time i have tried this rub and was pleasantly surprised), then coated with a mixture of light brown sugar and turbinado sugar. After that I let it sit in the fridge for about 4 hours. When my egg was prepped and stabalized, i put both butts on and then went back over it with another light coat of rub.

All in all, they were probably the best Butts I have ever produced and got tons of compliments which always makes you feel good.

I attached a picture of the butts at about hour 11. They came off about 2 hours after this picture was taken.

Thanks again to everyone on the forum that gave me advice last week!!

Crunk

Comments