Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pig Shots

R2Egg2Q
R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum

We served up over 90 of these "Pig Shots" at the Eggs By The Bay Eggfest last month and I didn't get a single one of them. So when a birthday potluck celebration came up yesterday, I cooked up a small batch (1/2 of the recipe below) of 26 shots in the Small.  I normally get about 30-34 of these per pack of bacon but the 16 oz pack I bought had slices a little on the thick side (only 13 slices).

Here's how I make them.

Wrap a 3/8-1/2" disc of sausage (I like kielbasa) with a 1/2 piece of bacon, secure with a skewer or toothpicks & lightly dust with rub:

Fill the "shot glass" with a cream cheese, cheese, & green chilies mix:

Top with a mix of brown sugar, cayenne powder, chili powder, & BBQ rub:

Cook indirect (suppose raised direct would work) in Egg until bacon is crisped to your liking:

imageimage

These 25 shots (I had one!) went into Pyrex over a hot pack and taken to work where they promptly disappeared!  They pack a lot of flavor into a bite!

Recipe

Ingredients:

Nathan’s Beef Kielbasa – qty 2
Bacon 16 oz packages – qty 2
Cream Cheese – 8 oz
Mexican 4-cheese blend – 1/2 cup
Green Chiles Diced – 3 oz
Brown Sugar – ½ cup
Chili Powder – ½ tsp
Cayenne Pepper – ½ tsp
BBQ Rub - ½ tsp + a light dusting

Preparation:

Cut sausage down to discs about 3/8” thick.
Wrap ½ slice of bacon around the disc and fix in place with a toothpick or skewer several “shots” (10” skewer can hold 4-5 shots).
Soften cream cheese and mix in cheese blend and chiles
Pipe or spoon the cream cheese blend into the shot
Mix the brown sugar, chili powder, and cayenne pepper together and sprinkle on top of cream cheese filling
Lightly sprinkle with BBQ rub

Cook indirect around 280-320 degrees until bacon has crisped up (approx 70-90 minutes). Smoke wood is optional.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I am going to do this for sure. Thanks for sharing

XLBGE 
  • R2Egg2Q

These look really good! Thanks for sharing the info & pics...

Bookmarking this one...

H

Thanks!
    I am going to do this for sure. Thanks for sharing
    Great! Would like hear how you like them.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Yep....gonna try this too.
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    I can't wait to try this, abt's are a huge hit and I can just imagine this with them.
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Wow, this looks great! Thanks for sharing, I will be trying this soon.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Oh me oh my!! I want some of those right now. Just went on the to-do list.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Note to self. Get thick sliced bacon from Costco.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Great recipe, will be trying it very soon!
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Thanks for sharing. That's got tailgating written all over it. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • dtun1
    dtun1 Posts: 32
    They look really good & I will be giving them a try. Thank you for sharing!
  • R2Egg2Q
    Yep....gonna try this too.

Wow, this looks great! Thanks for sharing, I will be trying this soon.

Oh me oh my!! I want some of those right now. Just went on the to-do list.

Great recipe, will be trying it very soon!

They look really good & I will be giving them a try. Thank you for sharing!

Awesome. Trying this on Monday.

I'm looking forward to hearing how all of you like them and what kind of creative variations come up from these!
    I can't wait to try this, abt's are a huge hit and I can just imagine this with them./blockquote>

They should complement ABTs well.
    Thanks for sharing. That's got tailgating written all over it. 

They'd be great at tailgates. Just need to make a lot of them!

Bay Area, CA
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316

After I fainted and awoke with drool all over my face.

I now know whats happening at my house on Sunday.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• LizzieSamps
    LizzieSamps Posts: 894
    Yummy! On the list!
  • R2Egg2Q

After I fainted and awoke with drool all over my face.

I now know whats happening at my house on Sunday.

Perhaps I should add a disclaimer stating I'm not responsible for any harm caused by looking at these pics! ;)
    Yummy! On the list!

Hope you like them as much as we do!

Bay Area, CA
  • friscoag
    friscoag Posts: 97
    I cooked them last night, I had to try!!! They were great.

I used a venison sausage and some with a chicken sausage.  I had 2 packs of bacon and one pack was thicker bacon and the other was thin and falling apart.  Make sure and get thicker bacon as its easier to wrap and makes them look a whole lot better.

Also my wife had some homemeade bbq sauce that we put on about half of them, and I thought they were better with BBQ glazed on the last 15 min of cook time.  Also be generous with the cream cheese mix on top.  The bites that had lots of that mix on there were the best!

All in all they were PRETTY DAMN GOOD!!!! Thanks for the idea!
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

Wow, the list keeps getting longer!  Just when you thought you saw or did it all.......

Thanks for posting this

Have a good day!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• R2Egg2Q
    I cooked them last night, I had to try!!! They were great.

I used a venison sausage and some with a chicken sausage.  I had 2 packs of bacon and one pack was thicker bacon and the other was thin and falling apart.  Make sure and get thicker bacon as its easier to wrap and makes them look a whole lot better.

Also my wife had some homemeade bbq sauce that we put on about half of them, and I thought they were better with BBQ glazed on the last 15 min of cook time.  Also be generous with the cream cheese mix on top.  The bites that had lots of that mix on there were the best!

All in all they were PRETTY DAMN GOOD!!!! Thanks for the idea!
    Glad it worked out for you! Got any pics?

Trying out different ingredient options is part of the fun with the shots. I tried various versions before getting to the one I posted here. I even put parts of burnt ends into one experiment but the flavor didn't really come through enough for the amount of work involved.

Bay Area, CA
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    edited July 2012
    R2Egg2Q made these today for a party huge hit thanks for sharing 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q made these today for a party huge hit thanks for sharing 

Glad to hear that! :). Thanks for the report!

Bay Area, CA
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Thanks for sharing this, I did them for supper and it was a hit. It is one the regular appy list now
    Large, small, and a mini
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,660
    OMG that looks so good!  Thanks for posting this, I was looking for some apetizers idea and this is just what I was looking for!

Thanks for sharing, they look amazing!
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    I made these last night for the neighbors. Huge hit! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • R2Egg2Q
    Thanks for sharing this, I did them for supper and it was a hit. It is one the regular appy list now
    Great!
    OMG that looks so good!  Thanks for posting this, I was looking for some apetizers idea and this is just what I was looking for!
    You're welcome! Enjoy!
    Thanks for sharing, they look amazing!
    Thx!
    I made these last night for the neighbors. Huge hit! Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Thanks for sharing a pic! One thing I forgot to mention is to try to leave a little space between shots if you skewer them so they cook evenly all around and you don't get any pale spots from them being in contact with one another. Not sure if you encountered that. Sounds like all went well!

Bay Area, CA
  • dweebs0r
    dweebs0r Posts: 539
    I love this!  Gonna make these asap for when we are tired of ABT''s.
       -Jody Newell (LBGE & a 36" Blackstone griddle).
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    edited July 2012

This place is awesome! Very heart healthy. :)

I know, and I'm lovin it.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• It's on my list for next weekend along with some ABTs. Thanks well done. =D>
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Thanks R2egg2Q, next time I'll space them. The picture was at half way done, 45 minutes. I mixed the cream cheese and 4 cheese blend with one Jalepeno in the food processer and spooned into a gallon sized zip top bag, cut off a small part of a bottom corner and piped the mixture in. Next time I'll use less per shot because it expands while cooking. Also I'll season the cream cheese mixture with a bit of salt and pepper. Instead of your spices I used Dizzy Pig, Raging River. I may also leave more of the seeds and membrane on the pepper for a little more kick.
    Thanks again for the great idea!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    I made these last evening to bring to a friends house.  I stuffed it with brie,brown sugar and slivered almonds and topped off with bacon crumbles!  Wow, they were good

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• R2Egg2Q
    I made these last evening to bring to a friends house.  I stuffed it with brie,brown sugar and slivered almonds and topped off with bacon crumbles!  Wow, they were good
    Sounds good! Nice ingredients.

Bay Area, CA