Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Favorite BBQ book

Options
Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
Looking for some good BBQ books.  My favorites so far is likely Barbecue Bible by Steve Raichlen or  Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book.  What are some of your favorites?

Comments

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Options
    Here is a link to a thread I made a while back with a lot of input on books.  The search feature on the site sucks, but I happened to stumble upon it.

• DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    Options

I got this book for a birthday gift when I was 21.  It really taught me the basics and more on bbqing.  Up until 2 months ago I had been smoking/grilling on a horizontal barrel smoker.  Those techniques transferred over and really made smoking on the BGE simple.  I use the Carolina bbq sauce for my pulled pork, and I use the basic bbq rub on just about all of my pork shoulders and ribs.

Definitely worth a look.  I've flipped through mine so much that the pages are falling out.
  • gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Options
    Dena....Funny, the pages on mine are falling out as well. Now have an elastic band around the book! A great read for both beginners and veteran Qers!
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Great question Eggdam. There are lots of choices. A few years ago I received a copy of "Taming the Flame", secrets of hot-and-quick and low-and-slow BBQ by Elizabeth Karmel as a birthday present from my grillin' brother. Although I really like my egg, I still use my 10 year old Broil King gasser when the time is right like hot dogs for the grandkids, keeping stuff warm while I finish off the main course on the egg and mostly for 15 minute grills of a chicken breast or pork chop. The two units are integral parts of my "BBQ pit". This book provided the insight into low and slow that prompted me to buy my medium egg, rather than another Weber. 
    Not to get all teary eyed, but it was a life changer. 
    Good luck with your search!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Options
    Smoke & Spice is a pretty good book too. Lots of good tips and recipes in there. The Thunder thighs recipe for chicken thighs is always a big hit when we serve it.

While not a BBQ book, Charcuterie is another great resource. Some really  nice recipes in there too....like the whiskey glazed chicken which involves brining the bird with some pink salt. Really good results....hot or cold!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options

My HTG by Steve is in really bad shape. Probably should replace it, but I hardly use it anymore.

One that i really like (and not so much for the recipes as the history and the stories) is Legends of Texas BBQ. Very interesting read.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• hgmoore
    hgmoore Posts: 1
    Options
    Looking for some good BBQ books.  My favorites so far is likely Barbecue Bible by Steve Raichlen or  Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book.  What are some of your favorites?

Thrill of the Grill. It's been out for some time, but it has great recipes.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Options
    Smoke and Spice is my favorite.  I ordered a BBQ cookbook from Southern Living a few years ago and was really disappointed in the meats, but it had a great cheesecake recipe in the desserts section.  If I get one great recipe from a book, I consider it a good buy.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,348
    Options
    + 1 with Smoke and Spice.   A great resource-may have to give something else a shot down the road but I find this forum is able to answer my questions and there are some very talented chefs who gladly post here.  Certainly enough information to exceed my bandwidth :)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BGE Convert
    BGE Convert Posts: 127
    Options

My favorite is Serious Barbecue by Adam Perry Lang.  Lots of steps but if you have the patience, the results are incredible.  Chris Lilly's Book is great to Big Bob Gibson.  I do the loaf pan chicken recipe with white BBQ sauce all the time.  All of the Jamison's books (Smoke and Spice...etc.....) are great and I think they have won the James Beard award a time or two.  The Raichlen books are good although his last one, World BBQ was just so-so.  In the other thread linked above, the book by Ronnie Skewchuck is pretty dang good.  I also have a guilty confession...I use my gasser from time to time and like the Grilling with Gas by Fred Thompson.  Schloss and Joachim have two books on grilling which are also very good.  I purchased the BGE cookbook as I thought that some of the recipes I would try....never happened.  In comparison to these books and others I did not mention it is really not that good....but I still bought it.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited July 2012
    Options

Adam Perry Lang's "Serious Barbecue" was a game changer for me.  If I had to keep only one book, that would be it. 

About 3/4 of the way through Lang's new book "Charred and Scruffed"  Many good techniques to develop layers of flavors...basting, frequent flipping, clinching, grid raising, herb brushes, board dressings, spackles, flavored salts.  Can't wait to try some things out.  He's got me dusting off the dehydrator.  There is a charcoal salt recipe where a microplane and good quality lump is involved.  Without having tried any recipes, this book, IMO, is a winner.

Here he is recently with buddy Kimmel promoting new book...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Knf4NVJjqc&feature=player_embedded

Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• nineee
    nineee Posts: 41
    Options

I like Slow Fire - The Beginners Guide to Barbecue.  It's down to earth and all ingredients are easily available.  It's by Ray Lampe also known as Dr. BBQ.  You can see him cook on the
    BGE site because he is a promoter of the Egg.  I also have the Steven Raichlen book which I like, too.  But he uses a lot of exotic ingredients.  Nina in KY 

PS Don't be turned off by "Beginners Guide" in the title.  The recipes are good and adapted to the BGE.

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    +1 each for Gibson, Smoke & Spice, and The Barbecue Bible
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options

I like Slow Fire - The Beginners Guide to Barbecue.  It's down to earth and all ingredients are easily available.  It's by Ray Lampe also known as Dr. BBQ.  You can see him cook on the
    BGE site because he is a promoter of the Egg.  I also have the Steven Raichlen book which I like, too.  But he uses a lot of exotic ingredients.  Nina in KY 

PS Don't be turned off by "Beginners Guide" in the title.  The recipes are good and adapted to the BGE.

Dr. Bbq will be in Oakland tomorrow.
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    One of my favorites:

Packerland, Wisconsin

• VanDawg38
    VanDawg38 Posts: 69
    Options
    Bon Appetit, July 1999.  Gave me the courage to try low & slow.
  • Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Options
    Thanks for all the input! That will give lots to take a look at.