Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisk-A-Potomus, Thermo Problems, Boat problems, and other ramblings...by Centex

2»

Comments

• T
    I'm not in a hurry, but I've tried to relax at this point in the cook and let it ride, and it always seems to take longer than I anticipate. I'm taking the butt to some one elses house and there's nothing I hate more than being late.

When are you going over there?
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    party starts at five.
  • Brownie
    I need to be on the road about 4:30
  • party starts at five.

Dude- Chill. let it do it's thing. no need to get all worked up 6-7 hours in advance. They will be better if you just let them do their thing until the party. If you get an hour out, then push them through. It's shocking how fast they will finish at 350 if you need them to. they will be done in a few hours on their own anyway and you will be very proud of yourself for going the distance.

i think they will be done by 2 or 3 anyway at tht latest but if you hate being late, bump them 2 hours before the party if they aren't done yet.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @ Cen-Tex- You know more about pork butts (need the clarifier:)) than you let on.  I gave him the same suggestion on his original post...all good!  Happy B'day USA!  And sorry to hear about your fire-I recently started experimenting with Ozark Oak-no long one's yet (that's for WG) but an interesting issue.  Gotta love the BGE ESP-better to be lucky than good-enjoy the 4th and all it stands for!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Brownie
    Thanks guys. I have no doubt it will be delish, even if I've made better butts before the guests wont know the difference. I just like to be prepared. I'm at 169* meat, and 295* dome. I'll let her ride and go from there. Thanks for the advice, this forum is hard to beat.
    BTW @ CTS, I'm est (12:06 now) so I have about 4 hours left till departure.
  • @ Cen-Tex- You know more about pork butts (need the clarifier:)) than you let on.  I gave him the same suggestion on his original post...all good!  Happy B'day USA!  And sorry to hear about your fire-I recently started experimenting with Ozark Oak-no long one's yet (that's for WG) but an interesting issue.  Gotta love the BGE ESP-better to be lucky than good-enjoy the 4th and all it stands for!

Thanks Cap. I actually cook more butts than briskets because they are easier and 100% reliable for me. I can still get snagged with a weird brisket from time to time so unless I know all the varaibles, pulled pork it is. Also,. I don't like brisket leftovers very much so we do pork when we don't have a crowd.

Love the Ozark Oak, but man that was strange. Still plenty of lump left so that was not the issue.

Hope you have great day. I know I will! Might be some good old patriotic watermelon tossing going on over here before it's all over!

• Well- brisk-a-potamus was a huge success. I have not done one like this in quite a while. I guess all the messing around with the fire was worth it. Might be the best brisket I've had.

Time for a swim. Happy 4th everyone!

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• BTW- Salt Lick Rub is the stuff for briskets. I'm a huge Dizzy fan but something about Salt Lick is doing it for me these days (half the price too). This crust was in foil for 4 hours before cutting. It was still rock hard and had a nice crisp bite to it. If you can get it, try it.

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Congrats on smoking that monster brisket. Glad to hear it came out well. Giving me the itch for another low and slow, but next i think is ribs or turbo butt after some posts this weekend.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • DenaSmoker
    DenaSmoker Posts: 44
    I was in Texas last year doing a charity auction for the Palo Pinto county firefighters and there was some company there with premium vodka made in TX.  What was it?  Can see their sign but can't recall the name.

tito's
    I'm a huge Ketel One fan, but a buddy had me try Tito's back in the winter.  I haven't purchased another bottle Ketal One since.  I'm from Maryland and I've started seeing bottles of Tito's in a few bars which is exciting.  My local liquor store carries it so I'm happy

• Brownie
    Looks great! glad it was worth your trouble.
  • FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Looks awesome Centex, way to push through the problems without freaking out or giving up on the cook.  You set a good example of rolling with the punches on this cook.  Nicely played sir

Frank
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Tito's is good stuff.  Been drinking that for years - before it got more mainstream.

Its priced right and tastes good.  I like Goose in martinis though.

Yesterday was Crystal light lemonade and Titos followed by Club soda and Tito's followed by bed.

Garnerville, NY
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    glad the cook turned out great!
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273

Great read....

You know, you could hire someone to wash that boat every week.   Would always be ready to go at a moments notice...

Great looking brisket -  Do you pick up Salt Lick rub at the resturant?  Where is it available from?  Would like to try it.

Cookin in Texas
  • Great read....

You know, you could hire someone to wash that boat every week.   Would always be ready to go at a moments notice...

Great looking brisket -  Do you pick up Salt Lick rub at the resturant?  Where is it available from?  Would like to try it.

I would love to have someone else wash it but our Marina is very difficult to get to with the lake being so low. We don't use the boat much because of it

You can get the rub and the Original Sauce (very good too) at most TX grocery stores. If not, you can get it online at http://www.saltlickbbq.com