Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Spinalis Dorsi - Beef cap steak

Options
NibbleMeThis
NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
edited July 2012 in EggHead Forum
What is your favorite part of a ribeye steak?

For my wife and myself, it is that little c shape outer edge that seems just a little bit tastier.  That is called the spinalis dorsi or cap.

Yesterday, due to a miscommunication with Alexis and me (long story), I started trimming what I thought was a whole strip loin.  Things didn't seem right and as I was trimming off an odd muscle that shouldn't be there, I finally realized that I was cutting a ribeye and I had just halfway removed the whole spinalis dorsi.

After a few choice words, I finished taking it off since I really couldn't put it back on. 

I seasoned it with pepper and Draper's M'ood Enhancer.  I grilled it direct at 450f with a chunk of mesquite tossed in.  Time was about 5 minutes a side.  The internal temps were 122f on the thick end and 135f on the thinner end.

After an appropriate rest, we sliced it up.

It was unbelievable!  The steak strips were pull apart tender.  The extra marbling of this section made for some up the best flavored steak I have ever had.  It never saw a plate, we ate it straight off of the cutting board because it was so irresistibly good.  

On the down side, I now have 9 ribeyes without this part, but I'm sure they'll still be good. 
Knoxville, TN
Nibble Me This

Comments