Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Crazy Drunk Brisket Cook

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Looking for the learning experience absent the alcohol influence, it would read through the cold light of day that the higher cook brisket temp (approaching turbo) would rely heavily on foil to reduce the dry texture or am I extrapolating too much here?  
    I think so Cap. I've never done one turbo and by the texture of this one, I don't intend to. It had to be fancy $5 lb brisket I bought at whole foods to look cool to my friends too. Oh well. Nobody complained but you would have shot me the skunk-eye if I piled it on your plate
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex-thanks for the assessment.  I have always figured that the target temperature/time window for a brisket is much tighter than for a pork butt.  Given that the rate of change at temperature is faster at higher temps then it would follow that you have a much tighter opportunity for success with the cow vs the pig...especially if you are accelerating the cook time.  But all that said-just plan for low&slow and then audible as required!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Options

IDIOTS UNITE!!

CENTEX That is pretty aewsome. And I applaud you. I can see into the future of me doing something so historic.

Drinking and cooking goes hand n hand.

ah- Look who's back! Catch any fish?

Yep Im Back and enjoyed my time in OK. Caught a few and had no phone or camera. It was one of those serenity now vacations and I feel pretty damn good. I refied my house last month and turned out the bank was keeping way to much money for my esgrow. So now I got all this money back and it covered two months of payments.

I think Im going to be ok. Got a Phone interview tomorrow and I feel real good.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

IDIOTS UNITE!!

CENTEX That is pretty aewsome. And I applaud you. I can see into the future of me doing something so historic.

Drinking and cooking goes hand n hand.

ah- Look who's back! Catch any fish?

Yep Im Back and enjoyed my time in OK. Caught a few and had no phone or camera. It was one of those serenity now vacations and I feel pretty @#!*% good. I refied my house last month and turned out the bank was keeping way to much money for my esgrow. So now I got all this money back and it covered two months of payments.

I think Im going to be ok. Got a Phone interview tomorrow and I feel real good.

Awesome man. Good luck. Glad you went off the grid for a while. As you can clearly see, I held down the fort quite nicely in your absence :))
  • double
    double Posts: 1,214
    Options
    Sounds like my kind of cooking!
    Lynnwood WA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Well, I got my revenge on the drunk brisket today. I got mad at it and cooked a good one. It was a 15.5 lber. All natural choice. It was really well marbled and juice was pouring out of even the thinnest part of the flat when I cut it. It's been a while since I really crushed one and this was it. There was a noticable absence of Malibu Rum and my friends were also absent from this equation. Hmmmmm :)

Pics to follow and for those of you who have not had the opportunity to read the above story.....you are welcome :))

You can now all tell your wives "yeah, but I'm not THAT guy"

Happy Fathers Day to all.

PS- one of these "friends" is a lurker on this forum. I'm sure he is laughing again today....right @lakewade?

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Not being as savvy where do you buy a larding iron. That sounds unbelievably good. Any additional photos or description would be appreciated.
    I use my knife steel to do it. I do a larded rib roast this way too. I do garlic, jalapenos, provolone. It's awesome.

Here's a tip: freeze everything before stuffing them in. It makes them firmer and they slide in better. Just run your steel (he just used a knife and his fingers) through the butt  or roast and cover the stuff in olive oil then stuff them in and push them further with your steel. Do it in several places and voila! Larded Roast or butts

About how many places would you do this for a 7lb butt?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here is some point:

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

A little More pont:

The flat:

And the nasty bits (my favorite);

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Not being as savvy where do you buy a larding iron. That sounds unbelievably good. Any additional photos or description would be appreciated.
    I use my knife steel to do it. I do a larded rib roast this way too. I do garlic, jalapenos, provolone. It's awesome.

Here's a tip: freeze everything before stuffing them in. It makes them firmer and they slide in better. Just run your steel (he just used a knife and his fingers) through the butt  or roast and cover the stuff in olive oil then stuff them in and push them further with your steel. Do it in several places and voila! Larded Roast or butts

About how many places would you do this for a 7lb butt?

5-6. maybe a few more if you are feeling froggy
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    Cen-Tex that brisket looks great! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cen-Tex that brisket looks great! 
    Thanks Rich. I was due :)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Congrats-and on Father's Day-nothing like a home-run and Sunday...time for Jefferson's?
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Congrats-and on Father's Day-nothing like a home-run and Sunday...time for Jefferson's?

Thanks Cap.

In the pool with a little vodka drink at the moment. Headed up in a bit to watch the leaders finish up the US open and moving on to the Jefferson's shortly after. Pretty good little Sunday if you ask me :)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    And then the wide surprised me with this little diddy when I was taking a little nap (pineapple upside down cake). Goes great with Jefferson :)

• Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I won't tell her you said that.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    Options
    And then the wide surprised me with this little diddy when I was taking a little nap (pineapple upside down cake). Goes great with Jefferson :)

:)) =)) She doesnt browse these forums does she?
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Actually it was awesome. It's my fave since I was a kid so she humors me and makes it for me (except now the pineapple is soaked in Woodford Reserve) :). We destroyed it all 

She is a great cook but she still stoops to my level from time to time :))

She's on here every once in a while but wouldn't care if I were busting her a little (I wasn't intending too but no biggie)

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Oh- now I see- was supposed to be WIFE (not wide) she would kick my arse for that one :))

Dang iPhone!

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Oh- now I see- was supposed to be WIFE (not wide) she would kick my arse for that one :))

Dang iPhone!

Now that's funny!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    Glad I checked this thread :D
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    That pineapple upside down cake looks great.. Pineapple is by FAR my fav fruit. A lot of memories of my mom include dinner with pineapple as the fruit.
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options

Dang iPhone!

Lol!
    Great looking hunk of beef, and cake.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    Well, I got my revenge on the drunk brisket today. I got mad at it and cooked a good one. It was a 15.5 lber. All natural choice. It was really well marbled and juice was pouring out of even the thinnest part of the flat when I cut it. It's been a while since I really crushed one and this was it. There was a noticable absence of Malibu Rum and my friends were also absent from this equation. Hmmmmm :)

Pics to follow and for those of you who have not had the opportunity to read the above story.....you are welcome :))

You can now all tell your wives "yeah, but I'm not THAT guy"

Happy Fathers Day to all.

PS- one of these "friends" is a lurker on this forum. I'm sure he is laughing again today....right @lakewade?

I may have finally recovered from that one my friend.  Malibu Rum is officially off the menu forever...as it should have been to begin with!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    =))

Wow. That's all you have to say?????

Good times buddy. I'm not in much better shape tonight.........but we ordered out :)