Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

XL Question

Options
bariccardi
bariccardi Posts: 53
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Got a large in December and absolutely love it. One issue, I want more space! Started planting the seed with my wife about getting an XL. I think I got her to buy in. Went and looked at XL yesterday. Same place I got my large from. The sales person who helped me said one thing about the XL, it's hard to regulate the temperature on long, low cooks. She indicated I might be better off with a 2nd large.

Anybody with an XL have trouble regulating low temps on long cooks?

Comments

• ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    That's a bunch of crap.  The XL is easy to regulate at low temps.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Mthomp13
    Mthomp13 Posts: 24
    Options
    I have had my XL for 4 months now and have never had a problem with regulating the temp on low and slows. It was worth the money that I spent to get the XL.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I've done low and slow with and without my digiq dx2.  The digiq has always held the temp within 2 degrees but without it I've always been able to hold the temp withing 15 degrees which to me means the XL is no harder to control than any other size.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Options
    :)) we must have talked to the same sales person at one time. The XL is EASY to regulate. Cooked ribs yesterday at 225 for just under 5 hours (they were meaty as all can be) and then brought it up to 350 to do smoked salmon for wife. She hold right where you want her. Buy the XL without hesitation!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • michigan_jason
    michigan_jason Posts: 1,346
    Options
    Sounds like the salesperson doesnt know anything about the egg.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    I cooked a pork butt on a 27* windy day.  I stayed inside and the egg did just fine w/o supervision.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    Options
    14 hour cook two weekends ago.   set my XL at 250 and went to bed at 11:30.   I got up 8:00 holding steady at 250.   I volunteer mow at a bible school.  I went and mowed the 1.5 acre lot got home at 10:00 still 250.   Sales person does not know what they are talking about.      I did not touch the thing for 12 hours other that to spritz my pork butt and temp held and held and held
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    No doubt that any BGE can hold any temp so I offer the following-given you have a large, then should you go with another LBGE all the tools/toys would be interchangeable.  Now if you need that much extra cooking area, think about going vertical with toys for the LBGE.  But I don't own an XL and would be very happy to be facing the challenge you have:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Got a large in December and absolutely love it. One issue, I want more space! Started planting the seed with my wife about getting an XL. I think I got her to buy in. Went and looked at XL yesterday. Same place I got my large from. The sales person who helped me said one thing about the XL, it's hard to regulate the temperature on long, low cooks. She indicated I might be better off with a 2nd large.

Anybody with an XL have trouble regulating low temps on long cooks?
    I have no idea whyt so many of these sales guys say this. It's like they don't want to sell them. They say they use too much fuel, they don't hold temps.... one look around here and you will see that is all total BS.

I do like Lousubcaps idea of another large because of all the toys.

that being said, I cooked on my bro-in law's XL this weekend and WOW is that thing a beast compared to my large though. The size diffference is substantial.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    edited June 2012
    Options
    No doubt that any BGE can hold any temp so I offer the following-given you have a large, then should you go with another LBGE all the tools/toys would be interchangeable.  Now if you need that much extra cooking area, think about going vertical with toys for the LBGE.  But I don't own an XL and would be very happy to be facing the challenge you have:)
    Not having to buy extra toys if I already had a large would be the only reason I can honestly think of to not go XL.     I will be in the market for a second egg next summer.    I have an XL and may go to a large since my plan for the next egg will be to never smoke anything in it.   I plan to just do bread and pizza and veggies all the meat will stay on my XL but I may change my mind by that time and just go with another XL since my toys will fit it.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • bariccardi
    bariccardi Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback, all.
  • BigSteve
    BigSteve Posts: 52
    Options

Three days after getting my XL I cooked for 45 people.  30lbs pork shoulder at 200 for 23 hours.  I never touched the egg after the first 45 minutes until the Maverick said 195.  I was very impressed right out of the gate by how well that went. 

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    Options
    I cooked a brisket for nine hours on mine,  I didn't have to adjust it once I got is set correctly.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Rich_ie
    Rich_ie Posts: 268
    Options
    She's full of poo poo! Did ribs last night for 25 peeps set it at 230 and it stayed the the whole 5 hours. Its no wonder anybody buys the eggs with people like that selling them..