Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to freeze a brisket soon after smoking it??

Options
Don't Egg me on
Don't Egg me on Posts: 57
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I'm going to smoke a brisket for a friend whose wife has cancer. I want to freeze it so it can be transported to his house the next day. I'm thinking about taking it out after it is done and leting it rest for an hour and then putting it right into the freezer without unwraping it from the double foil.
Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Comments

• troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    edited June 2012
    Options
    Slice it up, place inside Food Saver bags, and seal. If still hot, have a sink full of ice slurry, ready for the sealed bags. Are these being shipped, or is this a trip across town? If shipped, then freeze, and ship with dry ice. If nearby, just refrigerate and deliver. Let them decide if leftovers should be frozen. Give them multiple bags for multiple meals. Great idea, and great gift. Tell them to boil the bags for reheating. It'll taste like it just came off the egg.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Don't Egg me on
    Options
    Aww I gottcha, so let it rest then slice it up and divide it up into smaller portions in food saver bags. Its going to a near by town, but I'm putting it in with a bunch of people who are making food. They are all freezing theirs.
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Options
    I think Food Saver bags are the bee's knee's. Great for reheating and storage. Looks very professional too when giving as a gift. Freezes well, and stores like 5x longer than other methods.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    no need to let it rest. slice it and refrigerate in food saver bags in meal sized servings (no need to freeze if serving in one day). they can warm them in warm water on the stove in the foodsaver bags and they should be delcious. Pulled pork warms much better so if you still aven't bought the brisket, I recommend Pulled Pork if they are going to reheat.

They can freeze any bags they won't use within a few days.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • YukonBill
    YukonBill Posts: 23
    Options
    +1 for the food saver vacuum packing.  If you need to make it far in advance, I've had great success by slicing it up after it is cool enough to slice and then putting it is a tupperware/gladware container over night in the fridge.  Then, after everything has cooled and congealed, you can take your brick of refridgerated meat (it should have enough integrity to hold together from the fridge) and put your brick 'o brisket in a food saver bag and vacuum pack it up and toss it in the freezer.  This way, you get nice uniform bricks that are easy to stack or use as "ice" in a cooler if you are camping/going on a trip.  Bonus points for reheating in a CI dutch oven until it is warmed to your liking.  I almost think this is better than cutting it up straight off the grill.
  • brianwdmn
    brianwdmn Posts: 371
    Options
    I appreciate the comments here. I'm doing pulled pork for 25 co-workers next week. I won't have time to prepare it the day they will eat, so doing it the weekend before and vacuum sealing after I pull it should work perfectly!
    Marietta, East Cobb, GA