Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fathers' Day Plans

BRush00
BRush00 Posts: 367
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Hey everybody...

I was just curious what everyone had planned for Fathers' Day?

We're having my in-laws over for an Egging and am looking for some ideas/thoughts.  The F-i-L has requested BEEF (probably as he never get's it anymore, the M-i-L doesn't eat beef these days).

I was *thinking* about a Prime Rib & Beer Butt Chicken or Spatch Chicken - but other thoughts & inspiration would be greatly appreciated.
[Insert clever signature line here]

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    No inspiration but I am treating myself to the above-mentiond prime rib-slow roasted.  Still working on sides but that's a seconday issue.  WRT-your chix choice, I would go with spatch over BBC.  I find it much easier and more moist.  Besides, then you don't waste a beer :)>-   Enjoy the day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • PapaB
    PapaB Posts: 146
    I'm treating myself and whoever else shows up to eat.  I'm doing the Mad Max prime rib roast, red taters, asparagus and a mater/basil/goat cheese salad with a nice red wine....need to do this more often.
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503

I got an early fathers day gift today.  My daughter got me a salt block from Steepletons, our egg dealer. Gonna cook halibut on it tonight.  Will report back with pics if it turns out good. 

• Bjorg
    Bjorg Posts: 241
    Orange duck wings as an appetizer. 
    Pizza Margherita + Caesar salad as meal
    Strawberry shortcake for desert

Quebec - Canada
  • bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    Doin' my first pulled pork-- two 8 1/2 pounders going on the LBGE.  Using Bad Byron's Butt Rub, and I haven't decided which sauce I'm going to serve (on the side).  Making the slaw from the Elder Ward article, and letting the rest of the family bring the other food.  Toying with making some wings while the butt rests, or some ABTs.  Very much looking forward to the low and slow...

~TK~
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• rambrose
    rambrose Posts: 23
    Ribs, corn on the cob and baked potatoes all on the egg, several Dos Equis and hopefully a interesting finish at the U.S. Open
  • scaryangel
    scaryangel Posts: 135
    Boston butt, St louis ribs, spatch chicken, yum!!! The family is coming over and they are bringing tlhe sides..
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    10 hour drive to Myrtle Beach with daughter, wife and four of the nine grandchildren.  Probably hit a Chic Fila somewhere :D
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    edited June 2012
    My first baby just turned 1, so I am a new dad. Doing my first set of babybacks. 3-2-2 I think. Getting the big Costco bag, unsure what to do if not enough people show but I'm excited.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    My FIL is actually coming over tomorrow morning.  We have a rolling war memorial coming and some military helicopters flying in as well.  I'm doing ribs tomorrow but the kicker is that their is a rib cook at the event! I would rather do mine though.  Have 3 racks of BB prepped and looking forward to the cook. Sunday I will be catching up on work. 
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    The whole clan is here, say 10 people. I plan to cook two large spatchcock hens, some planked salmon, and smoked sausage. The ladies are in charge of the sides, what ever they be. Will be a happy Father's day.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • Flamethrower
    Flamethrower Posts: 493
    My Son and I are doing a Chili Cook Off in Concord,Calif. He pulled me out of competition retirement for this. Gonna have the wife,Son,Daughter inlaw and my precious Grandbabies there. Cant beat that for a Fathers day
    LET'S EAT
  • Headed to my sisters ranch house to cook for everyone on my bro-in-laws XL. Doing 4 different pizzas tonight the. Shutting her down for a brisket overnight. Can't wait! Never cooked on an XL and my bro in law needs some pointers. Should be fun.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,170
    @ Cen-Tex enjoy and remember if you have any brisket ??? no one here will have a better answer than you already know.  But we can fake it especially when it comes to mustard base and rum with watermelon tosses or something along those lines :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    Headed to my sisters ranch house to cook for everyone on my bro-in-laws XL. Doing 4 different pizzas tonight the. Shutting her down for a brisket overnight. Can't wait! Never cooked on an XL and my bro in law needs some pointers. Should be fun.
    Give him some bourbon drinking lessons CT
  • brian4206
    brian4206 Posts: 19
    3 racks of baby backs, homemade mac and cheese, and vanilla mint Oreo bon bons for dessert.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I see a lot of Prime rib ideas floating around here, can somebody post a link of how to do this on the Egg?? Thanks
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    For the son in law and husband I'm smoking a standing rib roast. We are having oysters 3ways, raw, drago and rockefeller. Also fixing some escargot. They will be very happy.

Low flyer- I'm going to do mine around 250, direct, raised grate to 120.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Phoenix824
    Phoenix824 Posts: 243
    I am doing Lasanga on the egg tomorrow with some rum and brown sugar marindaded pineapple for dessert.      Sunday I have a couple of steaks thawing.   Monday my mom is coming for dinner and I have a rack of baby backs planned with egg Baked Potatoes.
    Steve Van Wert, Ohio XL BGE
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    I'm doing a piglet.
    Boom
  • Phoenix824
    I'm doing a piglet.
    My wife would kill me if I did a piglet.    She goes through stages when she hates meat.   Piglet would kill meat for her forever.
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    For the son in law and husband I'm smoking a standing rib roast. We are having oysters 3ways, raw, drago and rockefeller. Also fixing some escargot. They will be very happy.

Low flyer- I'm going to do mine around 250, direct, raised grate to 120.
    Thank you. May try this.

• valleyboy
    valleyboy Posts: 22
    Celebrating one year anniversay of receiving a BGE Lg last year on Father's Day.  Will be doing all night pulled pork Saturday night to thank wife and kids for hte great gift.
  • Headed to my sisters ranch house to cook for everyone on my bro-in-laws XL. Doing 4 different pizzas tonight the. Shutting her down for a brisket overnight. Can't wait! Never cooked on an XL and my bro in law needs some pointers. Should be fun.
    Give him some bourbon drinking lessons CT
    god help anybody that learns any drinking lessons from me :))

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Jonathan1970
    Jonathan1970 Posts: 156
    Tonight was ribeye steaks(cow lick seasoning)with grilled corn on the con, asparagus, and Five Cheese Bread. Tomorrow after golf will be grilled wings(swamp venom) with celery and ranch dressing. Sunday will be grilled pork chops with baked beans and slaw. Shock Tops and Mick Ultras will complement each days cook. Happy Fathers Day Fellow Eggheads.
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Pulled pork and ribs with Jack Daniels Oak Barrel smoke, with MOINK Balls and grilled Lemonade.
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    edited June 2012
    I'm doing a piglet.
    My wife would kill me if I did a piglet.    She goes through stages when she hates meat.   Piglet would kill meat for her forever.
    Same here. I can hear the screams now when I opened the dome.
  • Phoenix824
    edited June 2012

WHAT DID YOU DO TO THAT BABY PIG!!!!!!      I CAN'T EAT THAT!!!!!!    

me: It's good hun try some.....

I AM NEVER EATING THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    I'm doing a piglet.
    Yeah, my wife wants a micro-mini potbelly as a pet....she would kill me!
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    I'm doing a piglet.

Yea, I was telling my wife about this thread and laughing. She said, "those teacup pigs are soooo cute", and instantly what went through my mind was "teacup? I wonder what one of those taste like?" lol
    Yeah, my wife wants a micro-mini potbelly as a pet....she would kill me!