Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How good is Pappy Van Winkle?

RivahPirate
RivahPirate Posts: 14
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

A great friend bestowed upon me two bottles of Pappy Van Winkle 20 Year Old.  Last night we enjoyed one.  Even though it was being consumed out of red solo cups, it was agreed that it was the best bourbon we ever consumed.  Thanks to all for the great recommendation. 

Comments

• McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    +1
    Try the 14 year old Wild Turkey with the copper bottom bottle 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • cssmd27
    cssmd27 Posts: 345
    Clearly a great friend to give you 2 bottles!

We discussed this a while back but Pappy started outsourcing the making of their bourbon in the 90's and I can't find for sure what year was the one of them making it. I had one person tell me 1992 which would make the 2012 bottles the last ones of the 20 year old to be 100% made by them. That doesn't necessarily mean the quality will drop though. If 1992 is correct, the 15 year old has been outsourced for a while and I bought a bottle last year and have really enjoyed it.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • Best ever. Had some last night. By far my fave. You can also find the old Pappy stock under the Jefferson 18 yr. presidential reserve label. It's more available than Pappy at his time. Same juice though.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Another vote for best.  Great tip on the 18 yr Jefferson.
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • Will give the Wild Turkey and Jefferson a try.  Thanks again. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @RivahPirate-the fact that you enjoyed a bottle last night and are not feeling any side-effects should confirm your initial assessment about the quality.  If only it was not so scarce. "Great friend" may be not quite worthy of the gift...better to be lucky than good!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • So true Cap! (on all counts)
  • This is the Jefferson that is actually the old stock bought out from Sazrac/weller's who distilled pappy before Buffalo Trace. One sip and you will know its pappy.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• There are several good bourbon guys on here who I'm sure will chime in but we all agree that Pappy is the sh*t :)
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    I want to try it so bad!  So what are the best ones for sipping under $30?  Is there any Jefferson or Buffalo Trace that is affordable?  (I am currently unknowledgeable on the subject, but want that to change)
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    You won't find any Van Winkle for under $ 30 or $50 for that matter.  If you want to try a good inexpensive bourbon, I like Bulleit...but not sure it's reach outside KY.  Old Forrester (from which Woodford Reserve was created) is also good value.  And if you like a strong wheat influenced bourbon there is always Maker's Mark.  Cruise your local adult beverage store and talk with the beverage buyer-depending on where you are they could possess a good bit of knowledge.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Buffalo Trace or Woodford Reserve are good values. Woodford is my every day and Pappy is my special occasion. Pappy is $80+ in my neighborhood.
  • And FYI cap. Bullit is out there. Inhave t tried it yet but it's around.
  • Knob creek is my old standby. Father in law loves Blanton's. I think I may splurge and try some Jefferson pres reserve this weekend. Y'all are making me thirsty...
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Bullit is all over Cen Texas, and not too high.

Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576

We love Bulleit Rye (~$25) and Knob Creek.  Have not tried Blanton's.  I like Woodford, but don't see too many good ddeals this time of year for some strange reason.  Jim Beam Black or Elijah Craig are not bad in our opinion.  Just seeing if there are any whiskey value secrets we are unaware of.

Maybe our next one to try will be Buffalo Trace

• Philicious
    Philicious Posts: 346
    Z Egg - Try Bulleit for around $20 per bottle.  By far the best at that price point and up to $100.  I have a few bottles of 20 year Pappy stashed away and agree that it is one of the best - like a fresh wedding cake.  The Pappy is hard to find due to its limited supply but I am luck enough to have a connection in New Orleans where they buy it at the grocery store.
    Born and raised in NOLA. Now live in East TN.
  • Philicious
    And, I hear that Angel's Envy is very good but I have not tried it yet.  Maybe this weekend.
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    I am a weekday drinker of Wellers.  I tend to lean towards Bookers or Willett on the weekends.  And I do mean lean!  Can't beat Pappy's, but can't find.  Will give Jefferson a shot.  Thanks for the info.

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    For under $30...try and find some Bulleit. I'm working my way through a bottle of 12 yr Elijah Craig, and I wish I would have gotten some Bulleit instead.
  • Philicious
    Since you guys are whiskey drinkers, I'll take your advices. I am doing my first real brisket this weekend. I did a 1 pounder a while back but this one will be 7.5 pounds. I guess it is what y'all call a packer although I do not know what a packer is. Anyway, I keep hearing and reading about a brisket being a difficult cook. Any first time tips? A little birdie told me that I am getting Angel's Envy for Father's Day - which we are celebrating tomorrow - so I will have someone to smoke with. Pecan wood?
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Since you guys are whiskey drinkers, I'll take your advices. I am doing my first real brisket this weekend. I did a 1 pounder a while back but this one will be 7.5 pounds. I guess it is what y'all call a packer although I do not know what a packer is. Anyway, I keep hearing and reading about a brisket being a difficult cook. Any first time tips? A little birdie told me that I am getting Angel's Envy for Father's Day - which we are celebrating tomorrow - so I will have someone to smoke with. Pecan wood?
    7.5 lbs aint a real brisket and it prolly aint a packer. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Any creative ideas for an empty Pappy Bottle?  Hate to put the empty on the shelf as a constant reminder of the greatness.
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Since there are so many Bourbon drinkers, is it worthwhile dong a Bourbon thread for us to put down comments/pics of new or good Bourbon's? I have only been drinking Bourbon for the past few years and love me some small batch, so always looking for something new to try..
  • LPcreation
    LPcreation Posts: 13
    Buffalo Trace is one of the best value bourbons.  It can hang with the more expensive stuff and it's only a hair over $20.  Bullit is a good choice too, but I think Buffalo Trace takes the cake.
  • Basil Hayden's is another very nice drinker. Very grassy but a cool flavor and very smooth. Definitely on the lighter side but I like it anyway.
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Good to see I am not completely insane, some of my affordable fav's been mentioned here. My go to bourbon for the last few months has been Bulleit, but I do enjoy the Basil Hayden's and Jefferson. These have me completely off Jack. 
    Another Fav is Elmer T. Lee and Knob creek.
    So many good Bourbon's, so little time..

• Good to see I am not completely insane, some of my affordable fav's been mentioned here. My go to bourbon for the last few months has been Bulleit, but I do enjoy the Basil Hayden's and Jefferson. These have me completely off Jack. 
    Another Fav is Elmer T. Lee and Knob creek.
    So many good Bourbon's, so little time..

Regular Jefferson and the 18 yr presidential select are 2 different animals (litterally). I prefer Woodford over all the other Jefferson's that I've had. Not over the presidential select. Der's Pappy in dem dere bottles :)
  • AleBrewer
    AleBrewer Posts: 555
    Yep....Buffalo Trace is another fine bourbon for the money. Also enjoy Knob Creek too.

My Elijah is just about empty now....I think I'll hit the store tomorrow and see if I can find some Pappy.

I'm travelling for work, so I only like to have one bottle at a time in case I gotta pack up and head out.