Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wanna see my meat?

acr
acr Posts: 27
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum

don't all click at once...

I'm planning a brisket for dinner tomorrow (today is saturday for those of you reading this in the future)... this cut is about 6.5lbs, straight from the butcher...

My plan is to throw this on the egg at about midnight, after stabilizing it at 250ish.  If we're looking at 2hrs/lb that would mean I'm looking at 1 or 2 pm, which I think is ok if we want to eat at 5 or 6 right? I'll wrap and cooler it. Does that meat-math work out?  My concern is what if it's done sooner?  If this thing ends up being done at 9am that's a pretty long wait until dinner time (we're expecting company so we can't make it lunch)

Am I completely over thinking this? 

As an aside, I typically think things will take less time than they do, last time I cooked pulled pork I would have sworn it would have been done at noon and was getting anxious that it would be too early.  At 330, I had to bump the temp to get it done for dinner!  I completely accept the fact that I don't know what I'm doing :)

Comments

• I would do 225 for your overnight temp ( if you are good at holding temps). I think 2 hrs per lb is max and it's usually closer to 1.5 or a little less at 250. You can hold for several hours in a cooler but havingnitmready at 4-5 is better than 1-2 for a dinner party

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alexwolf1216
    alexwolf1216 Posts: 112
    I would do 225 for your overnight temp ( if you are good at holding temps). I think 2 hrs per lb is max and it's usually closer to 1.5 or a little less at 250. You can hold for several hours in a cooler but havingnitmready at 4-5 is better than 1-2 for a dinner party

I will second this one.....
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
  • acr
    Thanks Guys... I'll set it and forget it at 225.  I'm ok at holding the temps (though it has way more to do with the egg than me)...

I'll be sure to post the 'after' pics ;)

• acr
    So, put the meat on a 225 grill at about midnight... I guess I had it a little too closed down as the temp dropped overnight to somewhere around 100 - 150 degrees. My fire not out, but it was little more than a couple of small embers.  Grr.

In any case, that was at about 5:30, and the brisket was at around 100 deg.  Hopefully it will be ok.  The egg temp is at about 240 now and the brisket is up to about 151 deg.

Here's to hoping I didn't ruin my meat, even brisket 'aint cheap around here!

I may have made my decision on the bbq guru.
  • It's fine man. Crank it up and cook it. That's what I was worried about when I said holding temp at 225. Mine is not good at holding that low overnight. It likes it around 260 and will run there for days.

Anyhow, you are fine. Get her going and enjoy your brisket.
  • acr
    Thank you sir...

The secret ingredient for a low-n-slow brisket?   Moral support.
  • Thank you sir...

And booze :)

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    Thank you sir...

And booze :)

True story, this one.
  • acr
    Yes... booze...

So the brisket turned out awesome, unfortunately no pictures as I wanted to eat it more than I wanted to photograph it.

Thanks for your help guys!

• Cool. Glad it turned out. Ya never know with those things.