Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fathers day

cul-de-sac-er
cul-de-sac-er Posts: 218
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
Ok need help here
I bought a10 lb prime Ny strip going to steak out @ 1.5 inch, should I use t-Rex method or reverse sear?
Also, please advise seasoning recommendations.
Pressure is on here trying to impress the dads with green egg techs.
Thanks In advance
Shane

Comments

• Thanks hapster that sounds spot on gonna give it a whirl, I will definitely post pics.
  • Hapster, are you searing @ normal grid level?
  • Sorry I meant grate level
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    When seering just remember: How low can you go?

Personally I'm a reverse seer guy. I'm too impatient to wait to get temp down.
    I haven't had the guts to try grate on the coals or cowboy boy style yet.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Hapster
    Where did you purchase the PSWoo3 and the 13 inch grate, man this sounds exciting?
  • tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Check out CeramicGrillStore.com.
    Good stuff there.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • GeauxEggin
    GeauxEggin Posts: 31
    With prime steaks I would recommend a little olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, with T-rex method.  Prime meat is usually more flavorful and I think its a shame to hide that flavor behind anything more than salt and pepper.
  • ncbbq
    ncbbq Posts: 257
    The wife and I really like the Dizzy Pig Cow Lick rub for steak. I do not have any advice on times temps yet as I am still trying to perfect that myself. So far my steaks have wound up done (only had my egg for a month) and I would rather medium rare to medium. A work in progress. I will say though with the egg even when they are done they are still really good.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Stips work very well hot tubbed. They shine with a green peppercorn sauce too.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• When seering just remember: How low can you go?

Personally I'm a reverse seer guy. I'm too impatient to wait to get temp down.
    I haven't had the guts to try grate on the coals or cowboy boy style yet.
    I do grate on the coal every time. Works like a champ.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • With prime steaks I would recommend a little olive oil, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper, with T-rex method.  Prime meat is usually more flavorful and I think its a shame to hide that flavor behind anything more than salt and pepper.
    I was a huge olive oil guy until a week or so ago. I got into a discussion with our dearly departed Tweeve and dangit if he was not right. The scorch point of olive oil is around 400 degrees for the good juice (lower for most). The lump bed (used in the Trex method) is 1200+ degrees. So to humor him, i went dry, salt and pepper (no olive oil). I can't say I noticed a huge difference but it was better (and easier and cleaner). You are taking the chance of having a scorched oil taste off the table if you skip the EVOO when you do a Trex sear.

Give it a try and see what you think.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • troutgeek
    troutgeek Posts: 458
    Salt and pepper and Cow Lick for me.  Get the egg to 400, place a 13" grate directly on the coals, and sear for 90 seconds per side.  Pull, foil, and rest for 20 minutes.  While resting, the egg is available for potatoes, corn, or whatever.  I then finish the steaks to temp at grate level, and top each with a pat of butter.
    XL BGE - Large BGE - Small BGE - Traeger Lil' Tex Elite - Weber Smokey Joe
  • Wow great info I'm going to try my first t-rex can't wait.
    Pics to follow.