Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Naked

SteveWPBFL
SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
edited June 2012 in EggHead Forum
On one of the threads not too long ago somebody mentioned that they quit using rubs and now prefer to do all their cooks naked (the meat, not them). I'm intrigued by that and am planning to try a few cooks that way.

Anybody else cook much naked or maybe with minimal rub and or just use a dipping sauce at the table.

Comments

• reh111
    reh111 Posts: 196
    Damn You!!!!!!!!! I was looking for something a little more provacative when I opened this ;-)
  • no way. I will do just salt and pepper on some cuts but never naked
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2012
    That could have been my new way of doing ham. Nothing(naked) cooked indirect and from now forward the only way I will cook a ham
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    A few days ago went looking for (did not know this at the time) a naked ham / smoke only. Thank you Wayne (Thirdeye)for the hand holding. Also thanks to Richard and Gary (Village Idiot)and Kent and Chubby for all the emails and calls on other ways to do a ham w/o the maple. Guys this was outstanding ham. It tasted like ham. It was a 7 lb Cooks ham (shank) and NOTHING was put on it (Nothing). Just smoke: both pecan and cherry chunks. Cooked at 300 till 145/150. I did score the ham deep.
    Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    I saw that Mickey had posted on a "Naked" thread and got so excited, only to be let down.  =))

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    If one is cooking over lump, the meat will never be really "naked." The residual smoke from the lump, altho slight, will offer a little of the chemicals in spices.

If I get a particularly good piece of meat, say some pasture raised hog, I'll do some w. just salt. Or S&P on a good steak. Once in a great while, I'll do chicken without anything, but chicken really takes the smoke flavors well.

• tdeater
    tdeater Posts: 38
    Great looking ham. I have gone naked with a few cooks and then just garlic powder. Sometimes less is more, just depends on what you are trying to achieve.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    I saw that Mickey had posted on a "Naked" thread and got so excited, only to be let down.  =))
    Yep, you and I. The poster boys for "Naked"
    X_X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    dry aged steak needs nothing but salt.  and it barely needs salt.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante