Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need a little advice

Ottawa_Eggman
Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I normally buy my back ribs at the local grocery store and they are all nice and trimmed. This week while at Costco I notice the quite a bit less expensive so I bought a couple of packages. Here is where I need your help they are very meaty and I'm not sure how to trim them any help would be appreciated   
imageimageimageimage

Comments

• Ottawa_Eggman
    Ottawa_Eggman Posts: 111
    Sorry for the double pics AGAIN!!!
  • Budgeezer
    Budgeezer Posts: 669
    You could just pull the membrane off the backs you will be good to go. 
    Edina, MN

• cook em. They are ready to go (I pull the membrane but you don't have to)

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Nuthin wrong with meaty ribs

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    My last Costco ribs were delicious just the way they were. Does anyone know if Costco removes the membrane for you? The ribs I did the other week had either no membrane or it was so thin that it wouldn't come off.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    Costco advertises that the membranes are removed from all of their ribs.  To me it is one of the things that help make them a little bit better buy, I despise removing the membrane.  I can just never get it off nice and clean!

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• Little Steven
    Pick a middle-ish bone and work a spoon handle in to create a pocket. Work your index finger in to the other end of the bone. Close your thumb up to the finger around the membrane and pull straight up. Works like a champ

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Pick a middle-ish bone and work a spoon handle in to create a pocket. Work your index finger in to the other end of the bone. Close your thumb up to the finger around the membrane and pull straight up. Works like a champ
    Yep- I use a butter knife but same deal. Also, it helps me to use a paper towel to grip the membrane for better grip
  • Little Steven
    Yeah, I guess it depends on the spoon. We have British style little teaspoons here

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    i think part of the problem is people dig in at the bone thinking they are going to get the bone completely clean and exposed.  there's a tube around the bone, and then there's a membrane that lies on top of the meat.  if you dig at that inner bone sheath thing, you'll never get anywhere.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I trim the ribs to get a relatively even meat layer running down the bones......just makes for even smoking and better presentation......plus it creates a cook's snack for later in the cook........

best thing you can have when trimming meat is a sharp knife that fits comfortably in the hand and is properly sized for the job......

don't worry if you don't get the trimming perfect first time........heck I've been doing it for years and beer still won't let me get it right most of the time........

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Pick a middle-ish bone and work a spoon handle in to create a pocket. Work your index finger in to the other end of the bone. Close your thumb up to the finger around the membrane and pull straight up. Works like a champ

I do the same. Have you ever noticed a difference in fresh ribs vs. previously frozen. I always break the membrane several times on a frozen rib pack but always get one huge piece on a fresh pack. Sometimes the ones that have been frozen come off in about 15 pieces! I dunno. May just be me.
  • i think part of the problem is people dig in at the bone thinking they are going to get the bone completely clean and exposed.  there's a tube around the bone, and then there's a membrane that lies on top of the meat.  if you dig at that inner bone sheath thing, you'll never get anywhere.
    correct. Didn't know it was a tube (thought it was another membrane) but it took me a few shots at that before I realized that it was meant to stay right where it was. It's white and the one you peel off of it is more clear
  • Little Steven

I do the same. Have you ever noticed a difference in fresh ribs vs. previously frozen. I always break the membrane several times on a frozen rib pack but always get one huge piece on a fresh pack. Sometimes the ones that have been frozen come off in about 15 pieces! I dunno. May just be me.
    Yes, I did five racks last weekend and three of them were frozen. It was a little tougher to get it off the frozen ones. Never noticed that before. It may be that the membrane somehow adheres to the stuff around the bone that stike mentions. Once you get the start though it comes off fine. I have a sailor's knife with a "fid" that is perfect for starting.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390

cool....good to know!  I normally buy my bb's from costco anyway, but when i don't i think you are rigt, they are previously frozen.  never thought about it before!  The more i hang around, the more i learn!

godd day to all----

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Yep- I use a butter knife but same deal. Also, it helps me to use a paper towel to grip the membrane for better grip
    Paper Towel for grip: +1  :-bd
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.