Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

30 lbs of butt

Options
jjmills
jjmills Posts: 117
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I have a large crowd of people coming over to my house in two weeks for "Cheese Fest".  I would like to do 30 lbs of pork shoulder on a large egg.  Is this possible or will this not fit?  thanks in advance.  By the way there will be a 1/2 barrel of Sierra Nevada to wash the pork down, yipee
 LG. BGE  Straight up Cheese head from Little Chute, WI

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Depends on your setup. But yes.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jjmills
    Options
    My setup is the basic plate setter with grate and usually a few empty glass bottles 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Assuming (hate that word) you are talking about 3 10# butts-all you need is a second level above the indirect set-up for the third butt. Could just be another grate. Absent that it can ride on the lower two but you will lack bark where they are touching. Easily doable-reminder-they will each cook at their own pace so if you can, monitor them all-especially as you get close to the guesstimated finish-line. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jjmills
    Options
    yes it will be three 8-10 pounds.  I do have three thermometers.  how could a guy elevate another grate with out using the two other butts as rests
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    (fire)Bricks, wadded up foil, nuts/bolts/washers...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I've seen a guy on here do 3 on one grate (he had 6 total on a 2-level rig cook)

Can't search, on my phone.
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    Options
    Here are 33lbs (4-8+ lb butts) with a homemade adjustable setup. An extra grate and some long bolts or firebricks would do the same thing.

• Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Yes its possible. I have done 116 pounds before on two larges and a med. I used the adjustable rig and spider with two levels. Each large had 7 butts and the medium had two. Best I can guess, I had roughly 50 pounds per large egg. Thirty should be pretty easy. I have cooked butts on there side before and believe I hade three on my top grid that way. Go set your egg up different ways and go through a dry run. You can actually put the butts on there still in the cryovac if you want to see if they will fit.
  • jjmills
    Options
    I like what I see.  I think I need another grate
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

yes it will be three 8-10 pounds.  I do have three thermometers.  how could a guy elevate another grate with out using the two other butts as rests

Get a couple of fire bricks (or empty beer cans) and a smaller diameter grate to elevate.  If you have time-people use U-bolts, washers and nuts to make a very functional raised grid set-up.  Try the search function for raised grid-the only trick is to make sure your grid diameter will clear when you close the dome. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    This is 30 pounds on an XL and it barely fit.  I have never seen a discussion about letting meat touch the dome.  If that is not a no-no, then it fit easily.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    This dude will show up. I've seen him chime in twice in the fee months I've been on here. It was slick.
  • jjmills
    Options
    I have and idea.  I will post once its built and again with the chow on it.  should be nice
  • jjmills
    Options
    And by the way,  to all the guys and girls on here who do a lot of posting,  thanks.  I have learned a **** ton by just reading and every time I post questions on here they are answered asap.  Here is one to all of you, (glasses clanking)
  • jjmills
    Options
    Will do.  15 years out of high school and having a no kid party starting at noon.  I will need a wide view camera