Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

80 hour Sous Vide Short Ribs/ 8 hour Sous Vide Ribeye With egg Finish

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
Well, I put some short ribs in the Sous Vide on Thursday morning at 132 degrees. I pulled them off tonight along with a ribeye that I put in this morning. The food was very good as usual but I have to admit though, as good as the short ribs were, I prefer them braised. They have more flavor and they are fall apart tender. These were fork tender at med rare which was pretty cool but I still prefer them braised. We did a red wine reduction and I finished them on the coals in the egg which added a ton of smoke flavor which I really enjoyed. The steak was awesome and it's really the best way I know of to do a steak for perfect results. It's almost not fair how easy it is and how perfect they turn out.

We did Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head grilled pineapple with vanilla ice cream for dessert. Awesome!

Pic 1) The ribs and steak right out of the Sous Vide (132 degrees from tip to tail)
Pic 2) Steak on the egg for 1 minute per side
Pic 3) Short Ribs on the egg for 1 minute (Unreal how smoky these got in 1 minute- no added wood, lump only)
Pic 4) Plated short ribs with red wine reduction and mashed potatoes
Pic 5) Money Shot- med rare and for tender
Pic 6) Pineapple on the egg
Pic 7) Plated with Ice Cream
Pic 8) Time for a new gasket :)

Have a good week every one. Catch up soon

Cen-Tex

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292

When you sealed the meat up in the bags did you add any seasoning/herbs or other flavoring?  I have never done the sous vide method.  My only experience with it is what i see when i watch iron chef.  It seems like they always add alot of stuff to the bags to add flavor.

Why so long on the short ribs?  Does the additional time in the vacuum sealed bags help increase tenderness?

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    CT,

We had the same take on the short ribs.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• I did salt and pepper on the ribs. Nothing on the steak. I did S&P on the steak to finish. You can add aromatics like garlic, rosemary etc and it does add flavor. I just wanted these to be very simple to I could accurately judge the texture and flavor of the meat.
  • When you sealed the meat up in the bags did you add any seasoning/herbs or other flavoring?  I have never done the sous vide method.  My only experience with it is what i see when i watch iron chef.  It seems like they always add alot of stuff to the bags to add flavor.

Why so long on the short ribs?  Does the additional time in the vacuum sealed bags help increase tenderness?

Mike- the additional time does add tenderness. It breaks down all the connective tissues etc. It did that very well. The meat was incredibly tender and as you can see, med rare. A Med rare short rib would be a piece of shoe leather if you just grilled it up that way. 
  • frank318
    frank318 Posts: 15
    What brand machine do you use?
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    All looks great. How did you prepare the pineapple?

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Frank- I have the Sous Vide Supreme Demi (small). It's plenty big for me. It held 4 packs of short ribs (8 total but I could have fit 2 more in each bag) and a huge 2" thick bone in ribeye. I could have cooked for 8 people easily

Bigguy- that is sprinkled with Dizzy Pig Pineapple Head and grilled hot for a minute or so per side

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Nice meal. I want to do rib eye so bad.
  • Nice meal. I want to do rib eye so bad.
    The steak is a no-brainer. So easy. It really shines with fish and chicken though. Boneless chicken breast at 147 degrees that just pours water out when you cut it open. I'll never eat regular grilled chicken breast again if I can help it.

• Lit
    At 147 chickens not done right? You finish it on the egg? I have some yellow fin fillets in the freezer I am gonna try soon.
  • At 147 chickens not done right? You finish it on the egg? I have some yellow fin fillets in the freezer I am gonna try soon.
    It's (breast) done at 147. It's so tender and juicy that it's like another cut of meat altogether. Dark meat is higher temp but still unreal in the SV

It's right on the temp card that came with your SV

• Lit
    I saw that it just scares me. Gonna have to try it.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    The food was very good as usual but I have to admit though, as good as the short ribs were, I prefer them braised. They have more flavor and they are fall apart tender. These were fork tender at med rare which was pretty cool but I still prefer them braised.
    I've had a number of short rib failures, because, tho' tasy, they were way too tough. With SV, I'm astonished at how succulent they always are.

I suspect that if the short ribs were done at a higher temp, say 140, they would have approached falling apart. I've yet to try anything more than some herbed butter in the bag, because I'm unsure what flavor a few days in a high temp marinade would produce. Too much salt ends up being almost objectionable.

I'll be posting a tongue cook in a few days. Did one last week that the wife and kid say was the best I've ever made. It was the first where I SV'd the tongue for a few days, them taken to 180 on the Egg with a bunch of rub. It is very worth repeating.

• Sgt93
    Sgt93 Posts: 728
    Looks fantastic!
    XL BGE - Small BGE - A few Komodo Kamado Serious Big Bad 42s
    Follow me on Instagram: @SSgt93
  • I saw that it just scares me. Gonna have to try it.
    It's really good. Nothing to be scared of. Perfectly safe.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    CT wrote: "These (ribs) were fork tender at med rare which was pretty cool but I still prefer them braised." While the sous vide is excellent at tenderizing, I am wondering the taste your are missing comes from the bone.  
    Granted there is not much marrow in a rib, say as a shank bone, but there are marrow amino acids and fats that are extracted/enhanced by the wine/water/stock adding complex flavors during the braise. 
    Still is it pretty cool to see ribs cooked med rare and tooth tender.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • CT wrote: "These (ribs) were fork tender at med rare which was pretty cool but I still prefer them braised." While the sous vide is excellent at tenderizing, I am wondering the taste your are missing comes from the bone.  
    Granted there is not much marrow in a rib, say as a shank bone, but there are marrow amino acids and fats that are extracted/enhanced by the wine/water/stock adding complex flavors during the braise. 
    Still is it pretty cool to see ribs cooked med rare and tooth tender.
    They were on the bone and there was plenty of rich stock left in the bag. I just didn't put anything on them other than salt and pepper. The flavor was OK  and pretty rich after the red wine reduction was added but I prefer the texture of braised short ribs better. I may do them again at 200 and see how that does for me.

• Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Cen-Tex,
    I really appreciate your cooking style and am always working on perfecting my own. It is interesting that sous vide actually means under vacuum as opposed to low temperature cooking even though that is how the term is often used. Kind of like carmelized bits are actually sucs not fond. Demi-glacé and stocks are fond. Anyway thought this link might be of interest to you on sous vide. http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/sous-vide/part-i-introduction-to-low-temperature-cooking-and-sous-vide/
    Also, polyscience put out an iPad app on what we use the sous vide term for. Looks like an interesting tool.
  • Cen-Tex,
    I really appreciate your cooking style and am always working on perfecting my own. It is interesting that sous vide actually means under vacuum as opposed to low temperature cooking even though that is how the term is often used. Kind of like carmelized bits are actually sucs not fond. Demi-glacé and stocks are fond. Anyway thought this link might be of interest to you on sous vide. http://www.cookingissues.com/primers/sous-vide/part-i-introduction-to-low-temperature-cooking-and-sous-vide/
    Also, polyscience put out an iPad app on what we use the sous vide term for. Looks like an interesting tool.
    Thanks Newport. I'll check it out. I've looked at their stuff before so I might have come across this but I'll look at it tonight when I get off the road.

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I just picked up some beef short ribs. Is it worth vacuum sealing and putting in a crockpot (mine will hold around 140) for a period of time? 

Cen-Tex mentioned he preferred them braised. How would you braise them on the egg? Put them in the liquid and let them sit uncovered at 250 or so until desired doneness?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • I just picked up some beef short ribs. Is it worth vacuum sealing and putting in a crockpot (mine will hold around 140) for a period of time? 

Cen-Tex mentioned he preferred them braised. How would you braise them on the egg? Put them in the liquid and let them sit uncovered at 250 or so until desired doneness?
    I would probably not braise them on the egg. I would go old school.

140 is a decent temp and if you want to try it, go for it. I wouldn't  discourage anyone from trying something new. As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to SV some at 200 so they are fall apart tender next time.Still learning this technique so give it a rip and let us know what happens.

• I just picked up some beef short ribs. Is it worth vacuum sealing and putting in a crockpot (mine will hold around 140) for a period of time? 

I would probably not braise them on the egg. I would go old school.

140 is a decent temp and if you want to try it, go for it. I wouldn't  discourage anyone from trying something new. As a matter of fact, I'm probably going to SV some at 200 so they are fall apart tender next time.Still learning this technique so give it a rip and let us know what happens.

I might sear them on the egg first the braise them inside. That generated a ton of smoky goodness in the minute they were on last time. That could be good.............
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Thanks. So give them a quick sear and then let them sit? You're talking about 200, is 140 not enough? Or is it just the cut that 140 wasn't that good?
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Eggsbertsdad wrote:
    I just picked up some beef short ribs. Is it worth vacuum sealing and putting in a crockpot (mine will hold around 140) for a period of time? 

Braise on the egg the same was you do in the oven there is no difference.  I use either a CI, enameled CI or Emile Henry clay pot and keep the egg temp between 250 - 275.  I have seared the meat over the coals (using the clay pot) and in the CI pot either way works.  The last hour I remove the cover and if I want smokey taste, then I add small amount of chips.  
    I have even used my old Romtopf (trip down memory lane) on the egg with excellent results.  I use the plate setter with feet up and my SS baking grate. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx