Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is a home made table worth all the stress

Options
2»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    awesome back yard.

Nice umbrella too.
    no shortage of booze paraphernalia at Low Flier's place
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    Options
    @tazcrash Thanks.  Redwood 2x4's are used for the top support only.  The bottom shelf which supports the weight of the XL egg and the soon to be Large egg, are 2x6's sistered together.  The 2x6 that you see on the outside is cut the entire length of the framework 6' long.  The other shorter 2x6 is cut the length of the distance between the leg posts and is glued and screwed to the outside one.  This sistered setup is both on the front and back of the table.  The sides are single 2x6 only.  Then 2x6 blocks are glued and screwed front to back on 16'  center.  1x6 redwood then overlays the top and bottom shelves.  When you consider the weight of the 2 eggs plus the stone work underneath the eggs, it has to be a hefty setup.  The sistered 2x6's are the key.  They are bolted to the 4x4 posts all the way through with washers and nuts recessed on the back side so they are out of the way.  When I attaching the bottom framwork, a buddy and me climbed aboard the table and it didn't bow, not even a hair.  I am 6'6'' and 230 lbs, and my buddy is 6'4" and 220 lbs.  The casters will support a weight of 1,200 lbs.  Even though this thing is pretty beefy, I can still move it around on my patio with minimal effort.  I am sorry that I don't have specific drawings to share with you.  I kind of made it up as I went along.  You can email me directly though, if you have any other questions.

Living Large and XL

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    @lilwooty  Thanks, that was just the kind of info I was looking for. Thanks again.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    I have had the same mental debate which plagued me. When I get my tax return I am getting an xl. Currently planning toe get the nest with handler to move where I damn well please. Still not sure what the seasoned guys prefer.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I have had the same mental debate which plagued me. When I get my tax return I am getting an xl. Currently planning toe get the nest with handler to move where I damn well please. Still not sure what the seasoned guys prefer.
    No table info here but I don't believe in the free interest gov't loan on my $$-sorry 'bout the almost hi-jack but I have worked for years to owe the gubmint $$ April 15th.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Newportlocal
    Newportlocal Posts: 474
    Options
    No table info here but I don't believe in the free interest gov't loan on my $$-sorry 'bout the almost hi-jack but I have worked for years to owe the gubmint $$ April 15th.

I hear ya. I saw this on the Canadian government bought me an egg thread.

In regards to table thread. I may make a slate rock one I can roll my nest and handler in to, but feeling good about keeping it mobile.k
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I've never owned a nest, but since the completion of my table I can't imagine not having it. Where are you located? There has to be a hardwood dealer around you somewhere. Check out www.woodfinder.com. it will give you names of hardwood dealers and sawmills that you never knew existed.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • flmtrain
    flmtrain Posts: 15
    Options
    Hello again everyone, well since my last post, I went forward and built my BGE table. Actually, I think it is more than a table it's a structure. I think my house would fall down in a storm before the BGE table. I had purchased the materials to build it with stone so I went forward, built it and just put the egg on it today so tomorrow evening will be my first grill. Not 100% sure what I am going to make yet. I think it turned out nice. Took longer then I planned and was a bit hard on the hands and knees but I like the results. My only negative thing I think right now is no storage. I had thought about it but it would have added a lot more time and work. So, my plan is to get some type of cart / container on wheels, that I can keep all my grill peices, tools, parts, etc. in my garage and just roll it out when cooking, maybe something with drawers. Any way, it's done so let the fun begin. Thanks again for everyone's past comments. Take care!
  • spotco2
    spotco2 Posts: 61
    Options
    My only negative thing I think right now is no storage. I had thought about it but it would have added a lot more time and work. So, my plan is to get some type of cart / container on wheels, that I can keep all my grill peices, tools, parts, etc. in my garage and just roll it out when cooking, maybe something with drawers. 
    I just got this for that very reason.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1139898/new-table-finally#latest