Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help with thick steaks

DHW
DHW Posts: 11
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
I just bought seven 2" thick new York strips to gril this weekend. It's been a long time since I have grilled steaks on my egg and never any this thick. Any suggestions???

Comments

• Adamd
    Adamd Posts: 160
    Well for starters I would highly recommend you get those all down to room temp so the middle is not colder then the outside so you get even cooking.
  • DHW
    How long can they sit out and be safe?
  • Weeks. Don't worry about them sitting out too long pre-cook. How do you like them done (temp wise)? I only do thick steaks and i do them in a few ways. You could hot tub them (highly recommended), you could T-Rex them, or you could reverse sear them. All methods are available to search on here but I'll gladly help if you need it.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    The cowboy method at our house:
    Completely pat dry meat then liberally apply course grain kosher salt to both sides of the meat and set aside.
    While steaks coming to RT let all lump come to a uniform red hot. Wipe excess salt and moisture from steak with paper towel and pat dry.
    Place steak either on a grate placed on top of the lump or, steaks directly on the lump itself and sear both sides. (if lump red hot there shoud be no ash on the steaks, if there is use pastry brush to remove)
    Remove season with fresh ground course black pepper and tent meat.
    Bring down the egg temp to 400ish. Set grill high in the dome return steaks to the grill and cook till desired temp minus 5 (carryover will add 5), Tent and rest for 5+ minutes then enjoy.
    IMHO a good steak only needs S&P.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    edited May 2012
    With thick steaks like this, I would not do them cowboy style unless you like very rare steak with a charred crust.  Thicker steaks allow you to cook higher grid level (and lower heat) and still get a nice crust.  I would cook them about 550-600, at normal grid level. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314

Here's a good site to check-out for ways to cook your steaks-and try the search function as there have been several recent threads on the topic.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/recipes2.htm#beef 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Cowdog,  there is a vast difference between seared and charred and you can get one without the other. 
    I cook very thick cut steaks like this all the time and I do not have any problem with charred exterior.  You are correct this type of cook implies cooking to an IT no greater than 130-135.
    My DIL is the only person in our family that likes her meat cooked well done and I would never do her steak cowboy style, might as well serve her shoe leather.
  • DHW
    Completely pat dry meat then liberally apply course grain kosher salt to both sides of the meat and set aside.
    While steaks coming to RT let all lump come to a uniform red hot. Wipe excess salt and moisture from steak with paper towel and pat dry.
    Place steak either on a grate placed on top of the lump or, steaks directly on the lump itself and sear both sides. (if lump red hot there shoud be no ash on the steaks, if there is use pastry brush to remove)
    Bring down the egg temp to 400ish. Set grill high in the dome return steaks to the grill and cook till desired temp minus 5 (carryover will add 5), Tent and rest for 5+ minutes then enjoy.

• DHW
    To do the Cowboy style, how long do you usually do the sear? How long is the wait period between sear and main cook? Thanks
  • Duganboy
    Duganboy Posts: 1,118
    I'm a big fan of the reverse sear.  I get the BGE about 250 degrees, put my Maverick thermometer in one of the steaks and leave them until steaks get about 115. I usually put a piece of hickory in before putting on the steaks.

I pull the steaks and tent, while cranking the BGE to 650 or 700.  I then put the steaks back on for about  two minutes on each side.

The thickness of the steaks and whether you like med/rare, medium, etc will determine how long to leave the on the hot grill.
  • Austin  Egghead
    DHW I have never timed my sears, but I would guess no longer than 2 to at most 3 minutes per side I rely on my nose (smell) and ears (sizzle sound decreasing). I would recommend using a grate placed on the coals the for first couple of cooks that way you can turn and get good grill marks and learn timing.
    As far as time between main cook that depends on which egg I used. The mini is the most responsive to temp change, the large is the least responsive. On the mini I have been experimenting using the pizza stone on the bottom bars of the woo thus making the mini more like an oven for the final cook,
    If you are interested I think Alton Brown did a segment about cooking directly in the coals
  • DHW
    Thanks for the help
  • WoodsDog
    WoodsDog Posts: 48
    DHW

If you haven't decided yet, try the reverse sear.  It's worked great for me with thick steaks like that.  You will definitely need a thermometer stuck in one of the steaks.  I couldn't imagine guessing at when they are there. 

This is my method:

take out of fridge 1 -1.5 hours before the cook.  Salt them down on each side.   light dusting kosher salt.

The steaks will sweat, then they will suck it back up.

Clean the grate if there is leftover on it.  I don't want that affecting my steak flavors.

get the fire going 250-275.  Let it burn for a good 30 minutes.

Before putting the steaks on, I dust them with seasoning of choice.  DP Cowlick comes to mind.

Throw the steaks on, and Duganboy said.  Get them up to 120. 

Take off, cover them.  Could sit for 15-20 minutes while grill comes up.

Take off top of grill, open up door.  Let it get hot

steaks back on for about 1-1.5 minutes per side.  

Take off, rest for a few. 

these turn out good.

One thing I wonder though is the best time to season.  Sometimes I wonder if i can taste any of it.