Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A Newbie Question

gfavor
gfavor Posts: 74
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum
So I got my large BGE last Saturday. When using the Daisy Wheel, or the solid ceramic cover, it just slips on the chimney portion of the dome; Right? It felt weird because when I opening the dome I was always worried it might slip off.  Is that all there is to it? Is there a special way to place the Daisy Wheel?  

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Yep. Thats all there is to it.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Fliehigh
    Fliehigh Posts: 76

You won't have issues with it falling off.

No Special way to install it.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    I always take the ceramic cap off before I lift the lid just to make sure it doesn't break. It you are using the DW, face the screw closest to you and it will keep if from opening or closing more...although the only times I use it are for low and slow and I don't open the lid anyway.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • It won't slip off. When you use the daisy, align the top to where it will not move when you open the dome. Sounds weird but if you see the pics below you'll see what i mean. In pic 1, if you were to open the dome, the daisy would slide open and you would have to reset it every time and it can fall off this way as well. In pic 2, you'll see that you can open and close the dome as much as you want and it will not move. no readjusting and no chance of it falling off. All I did was rotate the daisy until the hinge screw was lined up with the raised notch on the wheel and to where the door on the daisy would not move when I open my dome. I did not change the setting on the daisy at all. Same setting, just rotated to where it won't move.

Do this and not only do you have to worry about it falling off, you won't ever have to adjust your temps after you open the dome. The ceramic cap will not fall off. i know it feels like it might, but it won't.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • That 2nd pic is not great for perspective but this was taken from the same spot as the first (front of the egg)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,318

Here's a great site for reference, including pics like Cen-Tex's above on the DFMT. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm   Welcome and enjoy the journey-

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Here's a great site for reference, including pics like Cen-Tex's above on the DFMT. 

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramic.htm   Welcome and enjoy the journey-

That's the spot. Tells you all you'll need to know