Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Flap Steak

Options
gte1
gte1 Posts: 379
edited May 2012 in EggHead Forum

The wife brought home a two pack of flap steak from Costco last night.  She got home late and I had to go play cards so zero time to marinate it.  I just sprinkled with my mix I use on steaks.  Suzie Q brand seasoning.  These things were incredible.  Great flavor and no marinade need at all.  If you haven't tried this cut give it a shot. 

George

George

Comments

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    I agree. I had a butcher sell me on one about a month ago. He called it a butcher's best kept secret. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I started using flap steaks for fajita meat a long time ago ... when the prices for skirt steak went out of sight.  I like it better than skirt.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    No kidding. Skirt steak is way overpriced, IMO. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    I priced flank yesterday at the local HEB and it was the same as serloin. $6.xx per pound. That's dang near ribeye prices.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I priced flank yesterday at the local HEB and it was the same as serloin. $6.xx per pound. That's dang near ribeye prices.
    I really like HEB since they upgraded their stores, but I have not been impressed with their meat department.  I agree that it is normally overpriced.  I either buy at Costco or a meat market in the po side of town.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    we are $7.99 for flank up here in the city
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    So what type of heat do you cook it over. Want to do fajitas this weekend with flank steak. The cut is fairly thin so don't want to over due it. Internal temp around 140?? would that work. Should it be grilled raised, and indirect??
    Large, small, and a mini
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    So what type of heat do you cook it over. Want to do fajitas this weekend with flank steak. The cut is fairly thin so don't want to over due it. Internal temp around 140?? would that work. Should it be grilled raised, and indirect??
    I cook mine fast (as you say, it's thin). I do them at like 500 direct. i don't raise the grid but that's just because I'm lazy. Internal of 140 would be perfect for fajitas
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I seared them at normal height then finished raised direct at 500. I was really surprised at what great flavor it had. I would pull with the thickest part about 130. I am a tri tip lover, but I liked this every bit as much.

George
    George
  • Z_Eggineer
    Z_Eggineer Posts: 576
    Options
    Why is flap/flank/skirt all the same price as other steaks out here? lol