Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Trouble--Please Help

Dan4BBQ
Dan4BBQ Posts: 271
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum

I tried the parchment paperidea  that I read about but I must have done something very wrong as it caught on fire.

I had direct with a pizza stone on the grid at 550 degrees

What a mess

Please share the best way to set up for pizza

Comments

• BBQMaven
    BBQMaven Posts: 1,041
    The stone was probably around 700 degrees with that set up. Put your platesetter in and use your pizza stone. After about an hour of preheat, the pizza stone will be at temp of Egg. 
    Kent Madison MS
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    I'm assuming you did not have the platesetter under the grid and stone?

Setup I use is.
    Platesetter legs up
    Cooking grid
    Pizza stone

Depending on the condition of my grid I may use the feet that came with the egg to keep my stone from getting dirty.

If the parchment is exposed to direct flame it will burn.

Geaux Tigers!!!
  • I'm with these guys. Gotta go indirect on pizza cooks
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I also go indirect, but lots of people do raised direct with the stone way up in the dome, so it's possible.
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    If the paper burns aroun the edges it isn't a problem. It will darken under te pizza but won't affect it. I have done it 100 times, always turns out great. I do plate setter legs down, then feet, then stone.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • Brownie
    Brownie Posts: 1,023
    I have a box or Reynolds brand parchment paper that states it will withstands temps up to 420*.
    Try using cornmeal instead if you prefer not changing your setup. Between pizzas be sure to brush off excess cornmeal as it will darken and burn before you can finish a second pizza.
    I do plate setter legs down
    spacer between plate setter and pizza stone. (I use the three green egg feet)
    get the egg stabilized where it's happy. ( I'll cook anywhere between 450*-600*) 
    Cornmeal on pizza peel, then assemble your pie on the peel.
    slide her on the stone till done. I peek through daisy wheel with flashlight and just as my cheese gets bubbly my crust starts to brown on bottom.

• Dan4BBQ

Thank

Where wer you all last night?

Thanks fdoe the help

Dan

• SamFerrise
    SamFerrise Posts: 556
    Grate goes on first, then the Plate Setter, and finally the Stone.  Let is heat up to temp for at least 45 minutes to get all components of to temperature.  Works great.  Cut the parchment in a 14 inch diameter circle.  No flames that way.  Bon Apetito!!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    You should trim the parchment around the pie. If there are edges hanging out they will burn. I use parchment but pull it out after a minute or so. Comes out really easily

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SamFerrise
    BTW, the fire brick goes on the grate first.  Oops!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Wow Sam, with four full bricks along with the platesetter and the stone, that's a LOT of thermal mass... 

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Dan4BBQ

Thanks

I made more than one mistake on this pizza

I had made two other times---must have been lucky

• Eggdam
    Eggdam Posts: 223
    Curious about the fire brick under the platesetter. I havent done pizza but would like to. What is the benifit of the fire brick?
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Wow Sam, with four full bricks along with the platesetter and the stone, that's a LOT of thermal mass... 
    I agree! That just may work.  :D
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • JayHawkEye
    JayHawkEye Posts: 196

Same setup here as others: Plate setter (feet up), Grid, Stone.

I use the parchment paper (trimmed) to get it on the Pizza Stone, and then (like Little Steven said) slide it out after a couple of minutes. I've found that for me it's easier (and better results) sliding it on with the paper than using a peel.

My first few pizzas were just okay until I started using the parchment and tweaked my techniques. Good Luck!

"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • SamFerrise
    The old Bakers Pride pizza ovens have 2" thick stones in them.  It takes about 60 minutes to get them up to cooking temp.  Those four fire bricks are 2" think and I give them 45 minutes to soak up the heat.  They work like a dream.  The plate setter stone is too thin and the intense heat scorches the dough.  I make thicker pies with lots of toppings so I need longer cook times with more even heat distribution.  It is just my experience in this area that leads me in directions that make more sense.  BTW, my thin crust pies cook better as well.

• crmilt
    crmilt Posts: 115
    Sam, what is your setup again?  Grid, bricks with platesetter (legs down) over bricks and stone on platesetter?  Hard to tell from your pictures.  Thx.
    __________ Chris
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Are you sure that it was parchment, some people confuse wax paper for parchment.

Gerhard
  • FYI- I posted (with Sam's permission) Sam's dough recipe as a new discussion. I have not tried it yet but it's on the docket for this weekend. Thanks again Sam!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Forget all the parts & pieces! For pizza- use the plate setter leggs down, pizza stone on the plate setter. (no grid necessary) Let the grill heat to 600-700 degress and hold for 30 minutes. Put the pizza on the stone and let it cook to your desired doneness.....................You can't go wrong!