Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Worst Lump so far... (pics)

Comments

• eggo
    eggo Posts: 492
    I have probably burned 800 lbs of it in the last year and have never seen anything like that. I would never use it again if it acted that way. I wonder if it got wet somehow or something like that. This is what Sysco sells to all their restaurants too so If it were that crazy, I'm sure they would get a lot of complaints.

That looks and sounds awful but that has not nearly been my experience with it.
    I've not used nearly 800 lbs but never had anything like that. Something was bad wrong with that bag.
    Eggo in N. MS
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    These comments from others suggesting your lump got wet is reassuring for me.. I have a 40lb unopened bag of Best of the West.
  • These comments from others suggesting your lump got wet is reassuring for me.. I have a 40lb unopened bag of Best of the West.
    Unfortunately this is not the case. The lump was bone dry. The bag was opened the night of the cook, and I store my lump indoors, so there was no possible way it was wet.

"Where the weak grow strong and the strong grow great, Here's to "Down Home," the Old North State!"

Med & XL

• I was not thinking you got it wet. Just wondering if somewhere in the supply chain it got wet (or something else that would make it go nuts like you said). I totally buy what you are saying; I've just had a different experience with a much broader window of use. Disapp
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Disappointed with what you went through. I've been touting this as good stuff and really hope this is a one-off deal.
  • SandBilly
    SandBilly Posts: 227
    edited April 2012
    I think it has to be, you know from your experience it's not normal.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Old State, I meant from the distribution to your house it got wet, not you got it wet.
  • I bought a 20lb bag of the best of the west from SAMs club. I thought it was just fine except that I agree the mesquite flavor was too much for me when I used only the best of the west lump. I'm finishing off the bag by adding a lump or two to other charcoal when I want a little mesquite flavor.
  • @ OLD NORTH STATE BBQ CO. -I have used and think very highly of Wicked Good Weekend Warrior-by chance have you any run-time with Ozark Oak...that's next on my experiment plate but I have to do a big buy to justify the freight.

And thanks for the heads up on Best of the West.

I like Ozark Oak over all lumps.

+1

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• FxLynch
    FxLynch Posts: 433
    I used my bag of this charcoal yesterday for about 3 hours, smoking pork loins and making baked potatoes.  It lit easily and held temps great, with no more sparking than my Royal Oak.  I'm happy with it, especially given the price.

Frank
  • I use only Ozark Oak. $4.97 for a 10lb bag here in Arkansas.
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    I like Royal Oak too but the lump size seems to be getting smaller and smaller.
    I must be getting all of your big RO chunks in my bags.  The last 2 have had very few medium or small pieces making it harder for me to light. 
  • EZEGG
    EZEGG Posts: 49
    Wow those pics remind me of the Mesquite stuff I tried from Costco.... Threw half that bag out.  

I stick with Wicked Good now.  Have not found a better all around charcoal myself.
    Eric O. RMBBQA Member Blog - http://smokeontherockies.com/ Large Big Green Egg
  • Yeah, I had one really bag bag of Publix Greenwise, then bought 3 more bags from a different Publix. It was like a completely different product. No problems at all the second time.

I'd return it to the dealer. I wish I had instead of burning it all. I put an entire 8.8lb bag in my LBGE, so I don't get to take it back if it sucks.
    I finally took the plunge and bought my large Big Green Easter Egg from Roswell Hardware in Roswell, GA 03/31/2012
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    @ RichardBronosky - don't know if the circumstances surrounding your Publix lump were the same in all cooks, but if you dump a whole bag into the BGE you have a high probability of getting small lump and the shake clogging the air holes on your charocal grate.  You can appreciate the challenges that will present  especially if cooking low & slow-glad all is fine now.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • EggRacer
    EggRacer Posts: 400
    Ozark Oak is all I use. My dealer always has it here in DFW. Rarely sparks, burns great, for the most part not too large or too small. Good quality.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    I'm using Ozark Oak on my Car Wash Mike Rib cook right now.  Started easy with the looft lighter - very little sparking.  I'l let you know how much it burns when done.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• Kokeman
    Kokeman Posts: 822
    I bought a bag and only use it for clean burns.
  • lousubcap
    I bought a bag and only use it for clean burns.
    Would be interested in your reasons for the above as I don't want to invest in a bulk buy of Ozark Oak only for the clean burn bene's especially when I don't do the clean burn drill. Any additional insights appreciated.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • I bought a bag and only use it for clean burns.
    Would be interested in your reasons for the above as I don't want to invest in a bulk buy of Ozark Oak only for the clean burn bene's especially when I don't do the clean burn drill. Any additional insights appreciated.
    he might be talking about the Best of The West for his clean burns. Can't tell.

• Update- I had the crazy-ass spark shower last night with Best of The West like I have never seen. I took a video of it and will post later. It was insane. I narrowed it down to 1 piece of lump. I had a huge piece that was not burning so I moved to the hottest part of the fire. it went off like a bottle rocket. I moved it back to the side and it just stopped.

All the other lump burned just fine as always but this one piece was mad as hell about something.

Anyway, I've burned over 1000 lb of this lump and this is the first issue. No biggie but I know exactly what you are talking about now. WOW.

• killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    And here I was just about to head off to Sams club to pick up a 40lb bag.. Might still give it a try. Wonder if I can use this together with the BBQ Galore lump to break some of the mesquite?
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I just ordered a Rutland gasket from my local Ace Hardware in Coral Springs, and I asked him (since he was in the system) to see if he had Wicked Good in his system and they had 2700 bags. I ordered 2 for $19.99 each. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • And here I was just about to head off to Sams club to pick up a 40lb bag.. Might still give it a try. Wonder if I can use this together with the BBQ Galore lump to break some of the mesquite?

Have gone through 1000 lbs and this is the only problem I have ever had. It was 1 piece of lump out of thousands. The quality is very good. Give it a shot. You can use it with anything you like. Mix and match. I don't notice the flavor being overlynstrong but I've cooked over mesquite for years. Might want to test it, then mix if it's too strong for you.
  • killborn
    killborn Posts: 37
    Thanks Cen Tex, will give it a try. Worth a shot, if it does not work I will use it in the firepit where I don't mind some fireworks. I like the Egg lump, but at $25 a bag I slightly cheaper option would be welcome. I got a $200 gift card from BBQ Galore with my Egg, hence why I want to try their lump as well.
  • Thanks Cen Tex, will give it a try. Worth a shot, if it does not work I will use it in the firepit where I don't mind some fireworks. I like the Egg lump, but at $25 a bag I slightly cheaper option would be welcome. I got a $200 gift card from BBQ Galore with my Egg, hence why I want to try their lump as well.

That's a good deal!
  • hogsfan
    hogsfan Posts: 128
    Ozark Oak is all I use. My dealer always has it here in DFW. Rarely sparks, burns great, for the most part not too large or too small. Good quality.
    (sorry if I already said this on this thread) It's funny. I'm in DFW too so I get Ozark Oak a lot and though I like the fact that it starts quickly and is very reasonable as far as ash production, my bags have always been as bad as any other. In fact, a few weeks ago, I had a spark fly out at my eye and get caught in my hair. My hair did not catch of fire or anything but it did singe it (lovely smell). 

I found some royal oak at walmart (mine walmart is almost always sold out so this is my first bag) and some wicked good. If these aren't any better, I'm just going with natural briquets from here on out.
  • lousubcap
    @ hogsfan-The Wicked Good will save you...can't comment on the WW lump as I don't buy from there (personal issues) but it is likely generic Royal Oak and you should be fine either way.  Ay additional info on the Ozark Oak as I am looking to try that brand just to see how it goes.
  • @ hogsfan-The Wicked Good will save you...can't comment on the WW lump as I don't buy from there (personal issues) but it is likely generic Royal Oak and you should be fine either way.  Ay additional info on the Ozark Oak as I am looking to try that brand just to see how it goes.
    It's primo Cap. Very good stuff. That's my shop's house brand and I can say that it is great lump.

• Well....@NakedWhiz still hates it and the review is now recent so take that into account. I do not see the same shake and dust he sees in the small bags (30+%) he got from from the grocery store in the 40lb food service bags I buy at Sam's but I would avoid the small bags for sure if there is a much crap in there as he says (and I'm sure there was). 

here is his most recent review of it from last month (thanks for the update Whiz):http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag22.htm

My last bag was under 10% shake and the other pieces were huge. I'll keep taking my chances until I see what he sees in my bags. Then we'll be moving on to bigger and better. For now, Sticking with it.

This was my last bag (the pic inside the bag was taken after the mammoth pieces came out off the top)