Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

favorite fish on the BGE?

2»

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    botch... you can't sear on both sides without flipping
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Sandi_k
    Sandi_k Posts: 52
    We have planked salmon, with marinade, 25 minutes at 350 direct. No flipping.
  • NDG,

The fish monger should have taken out the pin bones. Most fish have them.

Yep. A good shop should offer but always ask if they don't.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Mike8it
    Mike8it Posts: 468
    Has to be a saltwater fish for me.
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    edited April 2012
    I've always loved sea bass, but after reading up on it, it's being overfished and is considered non-sustainable, So, I've begrudgingly tried to not contribute to the problem and have stopped eating it. If you do eat it, it always has a slightly slimy middle, unless you cook it to around med-well.

That being said, you can't find much better than halibut on the grill. I also LOVE Copper River Salmon, which is only available around May for a month or so every year. Those are my two favorites. I also really enjoy wolffish, cod, steelhead trout, whole rainbow trout, red grouper, and red snapper.

Also good are mussels, clams, chargrilled oysters and slow smoked salmon.

Hell, it's an Egg! You could throw an old boot on there, and with a little salt, it would taste pretty good.
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Mike8it
    Never heard of or seen red grouper. Guess we only get regular grouper down south. Monkfish is a very good fish as well
  • Mayberry
    Mayberry Posts: 750
    It's primarily a fish that's in the warmer Atlantic waters and is very prevalent in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm in Georgia, and find it at The local meat market weekly.

http://myfwc.com/wildlifehabitats/profiles/fish/saltwater/grouper/red-grouper/
    Athens, GA
    XL BGE, Large BGE and RecTec590
  • Mike8it
    Hey if it's on Wikipedia
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Snapper
    Halibut 
    Salmon

Salmon S&P, lemon juice.  Smoked with pecan chips..not flipped.  Served with a lemon-butter-caper sauce

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DOCED
    DOCED Posts: 69
    Among other things I fish for black sea bass. The NCDMF closed the fishery over the winter,along with grouper et al. The black seea bass is NOT overfished or unsustainable! That is politics not science.The biggest threat to a lot of fish is the blackmarket sale of "bycatch" by the commercial fishing industry.Long discussion but interesting data. A great fish is the cobia aka lemonfish if you can find it. A little salt and pepper, grill, and it tastes like you have liberally squeezed lemon juice on it. Very tasty! Also fun to catch.