Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the Egg

Options
mybubbles65
mybubbles65 Posts: 7
edited April 2012 in Root
I got a used egg and it is filthy.  It had been packed up for the winter so is full of cobwebs, hold, etc.  Also the grill is really dirty. What is the best way to clean my egg?  I was going to take some hot water and a scrub brush to everything and soak the grill and scrub the hell out of it.  Suggestions?

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Water on the outside and fire on the inside (water won't hurt the inside, I just use fire instead). Just light a very hot fire and let it burn and you'll be clean and sanitized on the inside. Mine has been outside, uncovered for 7 years and looks fine. They are very tough and cobwebs and mold won't hurt them. Get ready to install a new gasket after your burnout. Look through here to see which direction you want to go with that (standard gasket, high temp, no gasket). There are a lot of points of view on that so dig in and find what works for you. I am in here widely noted as saying the standard gaskets are OK under most circumstances. I no longer think that is the case and would most likely go with one of the high temp options out there.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Just a hot fire will clean everything

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    The grill will be spotless after your burnout so no scrubbing necessary 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX