Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First shoulder

Options
Eggdam
Eggdam Posts: 223
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Off work today and had a small shoulder in the fridge so here goes.  All setup and meats on.  Can't believe that the vent is open the smallest crack to keep the grill temp at 225.  Took me awhile to get it down to that too.  Put a light coat of mustard and found a rub recipe online that I tried out.  Its also the first time using my Maverick ET-732 which came in the mail last week.  Keep you fingers crossed.

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852
    Options
    Good luck with that. The maverick should help you out so you don't need to constantly check on the egg. 
    Just remember: Stalls Happen.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sweet. Keep us posted and make sure to take (and share) lots of pics. We love pics here.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Eggdam
    Options
    Just wondering about my temp.  The dome has stayed a constant 250 and the grate is 218 to 225.  My baby butt was only 3.66 lbs with a bone in.  At 2 hours a lb about 7.5 hours I figure.  It shot up to 140 fairly quick.  However it now sits at 145 on my maverick and took about 15 to 20 mins to get there from 144.  I have managed to fight the urge to open the lid and kept it closed.  My question is with 4.5 hours down and about 3 left.  What are the chances that this will come up to temp in 3 hours?
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
     My question is with 4.5 hours down and about 3 left.  What are the chances that this will come up to temp in 3 hours?
    If you need to hit a certain time (or are just tired of waiting), bump up the temp.  Many here cook butts in the 300 degree range with no ill effects.
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds like you might have hit the stall (altough it seems a little low) Just be patient. This is where all the goodness happens. But like Choke said, if you start running short on time, bump it to 300. Won't hurt it at all. I generally go about 275-300 in the dome which equals about 250-275 grate. Pork shoulder is a very forgiving cut of meat. Don't stress.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• tazcrash
    Options
    My guess is it should be fine, but if you are worried.... you can turn it up a bit, and FTC till dinner.

Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    +1 on Griffin. All good and you should be fine by dinner at that size.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Eggdam
    Options
    Well I bumped the grill temp abit to 260.  I'm at171 and and rising.  I knew I didn't leave enough buffer when I started but almost there now.
  • smokinsooner
    Options

I usually find the stall at 174ish  (give or take)... but once it moves to 180 you're an hour away.

Stay strong...don't peek!

It isn't a must to let pork rest for two hours, but 30 minutes is good before pulling. We're looking for a pic with a good smoke ring!

BOOMER!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    a stall out at 150-160 as a norm. DefinIitey hit higher from time to time though
  • Eggdam
    Options
    Well she turned out pretty good.  I would add more wood next time as well as a larger time buffer.  Took a fair bit longer then 2 hours a pound thou.
  • tazcrash
    Options
    Now that is a butt that will bring a tear to your eye.
    What did u rub with?
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    So that's what a new egg looks like.  :ar!
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Eggdam
    edited April 2012
    Options
    Now that is a butt that will bring a tear to your eye.
    What did u rub with?
    I had some Cajun rub in my cupboard that I had tried off the net from a previous cook.  Can't seem to find the recipe online.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Nice work Eggdam! Looks awesome