Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Storing Lump

Options
patsboosta
patsboosta Posts: 22
edited April 2012 in EggHead Forum
Have any of you had issues with storing your lump outside is a palstic Rubbermaid container?  I ready somewhere that if the lump doesn't stay dry it won't light.  Keeping it outside, especially in early spring will expose it to condensation and humidity.  I just hate carting the stuff from the garage to the back porch!

Comments

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Options
    I keep my lump in the garage until I'm ready to use it.  Once the bag is open, I keep it next to the Egg in my covered, open air porch.  Never had a problem with lighting it, and Houston is one of the most humid cities on the planet.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Millsy
    Millsy Posts: 113
    Options
    I too keep mine in a rubbermaid container outside and I dont think have had any trouble.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Smoker_Guru Posts: 372
    Options
    I use one of THESE on my covered deck, no problems
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    I use one of THESE on my covered deck, no problems
    That is exactly what I'm using as well...and so far, so good.  We have had a few wet days here here in RI recently, and I have not had any issues with moisture.  My container is on my deck, and is not particularly well protected from the elements.

The other good thing is it only holds about one or two small bags worth of lump...so if you did have a problem, the loss would be limited.

Tom
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I keep my back up bags in the garage but keep a 40 lb bag in Rubbermaid deck box by the egg. Never had any humidity probs. I go through a bag a week though so they don't sit around long. If you are using your egg as you ought too, I can't see a bag going bad if it does not get directly rained on or something like that. I've even use rained on lump before. it lit but man did it spark!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex Smoker-That's a whole lotta cooking-good that you have an outlet for the volume of food you crank out.  Must be business related?? and good for you.  No wonder lump doesn't get stale:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    I use the kingsford container too. It has been through several rain storms and the lump has stayed perfectly dry. My patio is not covered. I plan on getting a deck box to store multiple bags in since I just ordered a pallet of lump.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    @ Cen-Tex Smoker-That's a whole lotta cooking-good that you have an outlet for the volume of food you crank out.  Must be business related?? and good for you.  No wonder lump doesn't get stale:)
    Seems I always get roped in to cooking for big events but I do use it almost every day. I used to use it commercially back in the day but I have wised way up since then. Too much work for Ol' Cen-tex :)

I guess I go through the 40 lb bags every other week since I switched from the 20lb bags but I still use a lot. Especially this time a year! My pool is never empty on the weekends....freeloaders! 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use the kingsford container too. It has been through several rain storms and the lump has stayed perfectly dry. My patio is not covered. I plan on getting a deck box to store multiple bags in since I just ordered a pallet of lump.
    lemme know how that lump turns out....curious
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    Will do.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • boatbum
    boatbum Posts: 1,273
    Options

I store open bags in a plastic box I got at home depot - similiar in size to the rubbermaid containers I have seen pics of - that sits outside.   Will take some pics later today.

Unopened bags I keep in the garage.

Havent had any problems.

Cookin in Texas
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    Keep mine in the garage along with the eggs. The smell in the morning brings me a smile

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• scooter759
    scooter759 Posts: 257
    Options
    I keep mine in the rubbermaid containers. I haven't had issues with humidity or moisture and I live in Southern MN. I do move them inside the garage from around Dec-Mar. If I were to do it over, I would use the ones that have the snap down clamps on each side. Will probably do that anyway. The only time I had wet lump was when I didn't snap one side of the cover on the one that I keep the small lump in and the wind blew it open and driving rain got in.image
    Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • burr_baby33
    burr_baby33 Posts: 503
    Options
    Lotta good ideas above.  At my lake house the lump is kept under the house.  Too much trouble to lug it out every time I want to cook so I keep a 5 gallon bucket with a lid full of ozark oak. It slides under the egg's table...works good for me.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Options

Scooter, where did you get your cover from. Looks like a good one.

Scott,

Scooter was also my knick name growing up.

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I had been using the Kingsford Charcoal Caddy, also, for quite some time.  This winter, I switched to a much larger Rubbermaid storage tote.  Handier capacity.  No problems with moisture here, with plenty of humidity and average rainfall of 40 + inches a year.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • scooter759
    Options

Scott,

Glad to hear that nickname.

The local BGE dealer here in Mankato put me in touch with a guy that does custom boat covers and he custom made this one. Reinforced at all the sharp corners and ventillated. I emailed him the dimensions, but he did come over and do his own measuring before he made it.

Extra Large, 2 Large, Medium, Mini Max, Weber Summit gasser, Weber Q. Mankato, MN
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    On-deck lump is kept in the little trash can.  The rest in the garage.  No issues with dampness.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• sjr
    sjr Posts: 3
    Options
    I use the Rubbermaid/Kingsford caddy.  It works great.  Although I just empty the lump into the container without the bag.  With the bag seems cumbersome.
  • Smoker_Guru
    Options

Scott,

Glad to hear that nickname.

The local BGE dealer here in Mankato put me in touch with a guy that does custom boat covers and he custom made this one. Reinforced at all the sharp corners and ventillated. I emailed him the dimensions, but he did come over and do his own measuring before he made it.

It's a nice cover. I am actualy from Mountain Lake about 45 miles SW of you. I now live in Northern KY but born and raised MN. Don't miss the snow...
  • scooter759
    Options

@Smoker Guru - thanks for the comment on the cover. It was a little pricey, but I like the fit and its flexible and slides on and off pretty easily. Been here in MN for two years now, before that 10 yrs in San Antonio and 15 yrs in San Diego....what was I thinking....

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

@Smoker Guru - thanks for the comment on the cover. It was a little pricey, but I like the fit and its flexible and slides on and off pretty easily. Been here in MN for two years now, before that 10 yrs in San Antonio and 15 yrs in San Diego....what was I thinking....

Scooter- I lived in WI for 6 years and got home to TX as soon as I could. San Diego....San Antonio.....Minnesota....one of these things is not like the other. It may get hot in the summer down here, but you don't have to shovel sunhine!

• scooter759
    Options

Scooter- I lived in WI for 6 years and got home to TX as soon as I could. San Diego....San Antonio.....Minnesota....one of these things is not like the other. It may get hot in the summer down here, but you don't have to shovel sunhine!

Thanks for reminding me.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Thanks for reminding me.
    Let's talk in August..........I'm pretty cranky by then