Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fajeehtahs!

Griffin
Griffin Posts: 8,200
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum

Total impromptu cook from Saturday night. The wife and I were at Home Depot Saturday getting flowers and stuff to spruce up the house now that Spring has officially arrived when we received a text from my cousin (and best friend) that they were looking to find a patio to go hit up and have some drinks. I handed my wife the phone and I was deeply engrossed in reading the back label of a bottle of weed killer and before I knew it she had invited them over to our house for some drinks. A few turned into more and then it was dinner time and they (wife, cousin and his girlfriend) decided on fajitas. Fine by me.

Some red bell peppers and some serranos getting happy in a CI skillet

Beef on

Since my cousin is a Pescatarian (I guess, no meat, but fish and seafood and stuff)

Unfortunately that is the end of the pictures. We were starving and basketball was on. But it came out really good, along with some chips and queso, some Spanish rice (from an old recipe from one of Stacie's friends bisabuela (great grandmother for those that don't speaky the spanish)) and some refried black beans. Hope everybody had a good weekend.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

Comments

• tazcrash
    tazcrash Posts: 1,852

Unfortunately that is the end of the pictures. We were starving and basketball was on. 

LOL, I've had that happen a couple times already, including during my first pork butt.
    Bx - > NJ ->TX!!! 
    All to get cheaper brisket! 
  • Looks delicious.  I've been using my spider and wok to make fajita's.  Think I'll do that tonight too.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• eggnited
    eggnited Posts: 94

I tried beef fajitas using skirt steak a few nights back and they came out tuuuuuFF. I tried cooking them at about 500 degrees...a few minutes each side and took them off at 160 degrees. Should I have slow cooked them? Should I have marinated them overnight? I ask because yours look great and mine came out disappointing. Not to be a buzz kill...but thought I'd ask. Cheers!

• I tried beef fajitas using skirt steak a few nights back and they came out tuuuuuFF. I tried cooking them at about 500 degrees...a few minutes each side and took them off at 160 degrees. Should I have slow cooked them? Should I have marinated them overnight? I ask because yours look great and mine came out disappointing. Not to be a buzz kill...but thought I'd ask. Chee

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I tried beef fajitas using skirt steak a few nights back and they came out tuuuuuFF. I tried cooking them at about 500 degrees...a few minutes each side and took them off at 160 degrees. Should I have slow cooked them? Should I have marinated them overnight? I ask because yours look great and mine came out disappointing. Not to be a buzz kill...but thought I'd ask. Cheers!

I cook mine fast to med well (i eat my steak rare, but skirt needs to cook through). The main culprit with tough skirt is the way you cut it. It has to be across the grain or it's almost inedible.If you cook skirt slow it will be tough. i don't want to offend if you are familiar with this, skirt can be tough no matter what. But if you aren't aware, skirt (like brisket) must be cut a certain way. 
  • I tried beef fajitas using skirt steak a few nights back and they came out tuuuuuFF. I tried cooking them at about 500 degrees...a few minutes each side and took them off at 160 degrees. Should I have slow cooked them? Should I have marinated them overnight? I ask because yours look great and mine came out disappointing. Not to be a buzz kill...but thought I'd ask. Cheers!

I cook mine fast to med well (i eat my steak rare, but skirt needs to cook through). The main culprit with tough skirt is the way you cut it. It has to be across the grain or it's almost inedible.If you cook skirt slow it will be tough. i don't want to offend if you are familiar with this, skirt can be tough no matter what. But if you aren't aware, skirt (like brisket) must be cut a certain way. 
    also, if you buy the real cheap skirt at HEB or Randall's here in Austin, they use "outside skirt" which has a tough membrane on it. I always look for "inside" skirt which does not have that membrane. If you live in Austin, buy the sirloin fajita meat from Central Market. It's $10 per lb but it's awesome. They have it in 2 or 3 marinades that are all good. I do my own marinade but buy theirs when I'm feeling lazy. You still need to slice that one against the grain as well. 
  • eggnited
    Thanks Cen Tex...yes...I bought the skirt steak at HEB...and cooked it fast at 500 degrees. I tried to keep it pink inside and removed at 160 degrees. It did look nice inside when cut...but as I said before...tough. Oh...and I do know about cutting it across the grain...did that as well. I figure I might need to do a marinade...we only sprinkled on some seasonings...and look for a better cut of meat as you have suggested. I will indeed visit Central Market and take a look at their offerings.If I buy again at HEB I will ask the butcher about the availability of inside flank. Thank you very much for the advice!
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Check out flap steak.  I quit using skirt steak when fajitas became popular and the prices went through the roof.  Flap steak is as good, if not better, and is much cheaper.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Thanks Cen Tex...yes...I bought the skirt steak at HEB...and cooked it fast at 500 degrees. I tried to keep it pink inside and removed at 160 degrees. It did look nice inside when cut...but as I said before...tough. Oh...and I do know about cutting it across the grain...did that as well. I figure I might need to do a marinade...we only sprinkled on some seasonings...and look for a better cut of meat as you have suggested. I will indeed visit Central Market and take a look at their offerings.If I buy again at HEB I will ask the butcher about the availability of inside flank. Thank you very much for the advice!
    I figured being from Austin you knew about how to cut skirt (I think they teach it in schools now) I bet you got the one with he membrane then. They always fold it under so you can't see it (meat tricks). If you do get it again with the membrane, just take a filet knife and trim it off. It helps big time. That thing is stringy and tough. Usually at HEB they will have inside that says "skinless". Get that one if you see it. Or try VI's flap steak. The Sirloin fajita meat at CM is really good. We use it for all kinds of steak. It much thicker than skirt and you can do Med rare on it without it being tough. 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    How do you guys get a temp on the meat? I cook it hot and fast and it is always good. Just can't see a way to stick it and get a good number???????????
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• How do you guys get a temp on the meat? I cook it hot and fast and it is always good. Just can't see a way to stick it and get a good number???????????
    I don't. I do it hot and fast until well done on skirt. The CM sirloin fajita meat is thicker and could be stuck if needed. 
  • eggnited
    Just checked back to see more replies. Alll hints are duly noted. VI...never heard of flap steak....will have to check that out. I'm also interested in the cuts you spoke of CTS...and will definitely know better how to pick meat at HEB. Thanks!
  • Just checked back to see more replies. Alll hints are duly noted. VI...never heard of flap steak....will have to check that out. I'm also interested in the cuts you spoke of CTS...and will definitely know better how to pick meat at HEB. Thanks!
    HEB is OK- I bought killer prime bone in Rib-eye there last week. Just ask them if it has the membrane on it. Ask them for skinless or to skin it for you. They will. I normally use flank steak instead and the stuff at CM is really good for all kinds of steaks. I'm wondering if the flap steak isn't similar. It is sirloin flap and this cut at CM is "sirloin: as well.