Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wokking

cul-de-sac-er
cul-de-sac-er Posts: 218
edited March 2012 in EggHead Forum
Village idiots wok pics look great
I have a large egg what size wok and spider do I need and where do I purchase?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• jbates67
    jbates67 Posts: 168
    I just got the spider from the ceramic grill store for the large BGE, also purchased the 16" carbon steel round bottom wok from wokshop.com, these were purchased at VI's advice and I'm very happy with the results. Ms Tane Chan at the wokshop is awesome, when you get the wok, purchase the spatchula and bamboo cleaner they have as well.
  • Thanks I can't wait
    Have a great day
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    I agree with jbates advise. That is the setup that VI uses. I had the pleasure of seeing the wok master in person.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • travisstrick
    That looks like a star chart. Interesting, but not a wok set.
  • http://www.wokshop.com/HTML/products/woks/woks_cs_set.html
    Sorry my son got involved is this th set jbates and VI have?
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    That looks like a star chart. Interesting, but not a wok set.

Haha. Definitely not a wok set....
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    Gosh, I'm really enjoying this thread.   :)) I have the regular carbon steel 16" wok from the Wok Shop.
    See link here.  The picture shows a flat bottom, but I have the round.  I also bought the long handle chuan (spatula) from her.  I bought the spider from the Ceramic Grill Store.

I have three other woks but the one above is my favorite.  I don't have a lid for it because the type of cooking I do with a wok doesn't need a lid.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• VI this is great thank you jbates suggested the bamboo cleaner as well?
  • hey guys thanks so much
    Any beginner recipes that will dazzle friends and family?
  • Village Idiot
    hey guys thanks so much
    Any beginner recipes that will dazzle friends and family?
    All of them are easy if you are prepared.  Ahead of time, make your sauce and put each ingredient into a small bowl.  Before the cook, place the bowls in the order in which you will add them during the cook (the French call this mis en place).  Until you get used to the recipe, you might want to print out each step in very large font to refer to during the cook.

Some cooks will require cooking the meat, then taking it off while the veggies cook, then adding the meat back at the end of the cook.  For your first cook, I'd stick with one that just keeps adding ingredients.  One of my favorites is Kung Pao Shrimp by rasamylasia.  Here is the link to the recipe.  Click here.

I also did a hokey video doing that cook if you care to look at it.  Click here.

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• VI thanks so much for your help I will send pics this weekend.
  • Chubbs
    Village Idiot's borrowed Kung Pao Shrimp recipe is definitely a crowd pleaser. I add Lo Mein noodles to the mix myself. Man is it good.
  • VI I watched the video looks awesome
    Chubbs do you cook your lo mein noodles in the wok with everything else or separate?
  • Lowflyer
    Lowflyer Posts: 785
    I'm waiting on my wok to be delivered. I got the wok ring for $3, should I go ahead and order the spider??
  • Hi! Are you guys using a flat bottom wok or a round bottom? And does anyone have a Teriyaki chicken recipe with fried rice? I made the mistake of telling my wife we could make her favorite mall food on the egg and now she wants me to do it! I will probally use the dome to steam it as well. 
  • I ordered the Spider and the wok from CGS. Figured it made sense and it was easier.

:)
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    I'm waiting on my wok to be delivered. I got the wok ring for $3, should I go ahead and order the spider??
    i thought i would use my grid extender sitting on top of the lump with the wok ring on that and wok that way...  glad i didnt do that set up and bought a spider.  the  wok ring is great to use after the cook and a must have
  • xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    so many choices from the wok shop! I've already got the spider, but which 16" wok is the best for just doing general stir frys? I see hand hammered, pow woks, lots of stuff. I'd only get a carbon steel one and season it myself, just want to know what everyone recommends.
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    The one I got was recommended by nice lady I talked to. It was 24.95 and carbon steel with metal loop handles and round bottom and made in the usa. I don't know anything about any of the others, but this one is nice heavy metal and nothing flimsy about it. It has worked well and I would recommend it to anyone. Be sure to get the $3 wok ring if you want to use it on the grill without a spider. 

john
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    I have the 16" hand hammered, made in china one....no complaints. I don't really know if there is a difference in performance between the hand hammered and smooth carbon steel ones.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

• xraypat23
    xraypat23 Posts: 421
    do you guys do spider up or down, it seems to me that spider down would have the wok too far down in the egg.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Spider up for the reason you mentioned....
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Alrighty - I'm curious about something....

I'm still a new Egger, I've had my large for almost a month now, but these pictures and stories have me wondering... Why not just wok inside on my gas stove?

Other than, "Because we can", or, "Big Green Egg YAY" kind of answers (which I totally understand and in the summer, agree with 100%)... Is there any advantage to wokking in the egg, as opposed to my gas stove top?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • foneman
    foneman Posts: 104
    I don't have a gas stove and prefer to keep the mess outside and like to stay out of my wifes kitchen.

john
  • Chubbs
    Your stove will not get as hot as the egg. True wokking is done at extremely high heat on an open flame so as to cook quickly and keep nutrients in. I am not saying the stove won't work just that you have the ability to cook better outside on the egg with higher temps. Village idiot will be here soon to give you a better answer.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    What chubbs said...
  • travisstrick
    It has something to do with a thing called Wok Hei. It happens only at high temps which are not possible on a normal stove. Hopefully Gary jumps in and gives a better answer. Google wok Hei and you should find some good info.
  • bigguy136
    bigguy136 Posts: 1,362
    Okay, I couldn't take it anymore so I ordered my Ø16" wok, chaun, bamboo cleaner, steamer, scoop and cookbook. Very nice lady.

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

• Village Idiot
    I haven't posted before now, because I was looking for Grace Young's quotes in her book, Breath Of A Wok.  But, I couldn't find it without rereading the whole book, so I'll spout from my recollectionsThe translation of Breath of a Wok in Cantonese is Wok Hei.  As described by Ms. Young, wok hei is the essence you get from stir fry that separates good stir fry from great stir fry.  It's in the smell, the taste, and the texture.  There are several elements that are required to achieve it, one being the temperature of the fire.  Essentially, the hotter the better, and a traditional kitchen stove cannot achieve that temperature.  She says that professional Chinese chefs cook at a temperature 20 times hotter than a stove's temperature.  And there are other required elements for wok hei also.  One is the use of carbon steel wok or, I think, cast iron.  The seasoning is important and the blacker the better.  Another is the "hot wok, cold oil" technique.  

Failure to do these things will probably produce a pleasing meal, but you are essentially sautéing and not taking it to a higher level.

All of these come together to achieve wok hei.  I don't know if I have achieved it, but I will say that I can make as good, and in many cases, better stir fry than I usually have in a Chinese restaurant.

Dripping Springs, Texas.