Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Costco promotion Kamado - Updated

Options

Comments

• IrishDevl
    IrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Options
    Johnny Boy, you have beaten that dead horse, and it's offspring - see below:

"I purchased this exact same grill and stand from my Costco about 8 months ago. I have cooked a number of great dishes on it including a 12 hour Pork shoulder smoke, where it held a continual temp of 250 throughout the entire cook without needing to ad any coal. I cooked a thanksgiving turkey that came out perfect and last superbowl weekend I cooked some jack Daniels wings that were out of this world. I paid $499 for this, nearly half of what a similarly equipped BGE would cost. I purchased a Grilldome indirect cooking grate with a stone that makes a perfect indirect setup. I am very happy with my purchase."

"Laugh all ya want, our Costco sold out of them in a couple weeks. And the $500 I saved over A comparable BGE will buy a lot of meat!"

"You just cant accept the fact that there are equally to superior quality kamados out there for much better prices. Yeah sure if I wanted the Mercedes of kamados I'd get a kamomdo kamado, which puts every other kamado out there to shame. Green Egg's a good grill, my neighbors got one cooks great. However my other neighbor's got an old broken down Japanese kamado that has no firebox or chimney top. He cooks meals on that grill that puts the rest of the neighborhood to shame"

• John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    Options
    John Ross and Village Idiot-  Congratulations, John Ross.  I think you are the first troll on this forum.  Hopefully, the last.

WTF are are you talking about? A troll is someone who post inflammatory remarks on a message board. I responded to a message titled Costco Promotion Kamado, started by another forum member, to which someone posted a pic of a kamado I recently bought . I responded saying that my experiance with said kamado has been positive. An extended and civil conversation ensued between a few of us. You pipe in from out of nowhere and call me a troll? Look in the mirror, pal, Your name fits ya.
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    It's not just my area that was the price in Stuart Florida when my parents bought their large over thanksgiving. It turned out I grew up with the guy that owned the store and he took $200 of the price and gave them the package for $669. Look at the demo eggs at the Georgia mountain eggfest the large withno nest is $599 and the xl is $829. Pretty sure I will be selling one of my larges and getting an xl from the fest. Do you live in Canada at those prices?
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Lit

That's only about 11% over dealer cost. Great deal! MSRP would be about $1,300.00. Unless this store is moving 100's of units, he may not be in the Egg business for long at those margins. If he's not making a good margin, at least he's making a lot of friends.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Johnny boy, VI called you a troll, get your facts straight...
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Oh, and it has been 4 posts since you posted about the magnificant price you received on your thing, it is high time for the "not to beat a dead horse" post...
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    WTF are are you talking about? A troll is someone who post inflammatory remarks on a message board. I responded to a message titled Costco Promotion Kamado, started by another forum member, to which someone posted a pic of a kamado I recently bought . I responded saying that my experiance with said kamado has been positive. An extended and civil conversation ensued between a few of us. You pipe in from out of nowhere and call me a troll? Look in the mirror, pal, Your name fits ya.
    John,

You may not know this, but this is a forum that is owned and funded by the Big Green Egg Company.  It is intended for BGE owners to share their experiences and cooks with their BGE.

For you to come to this forum and tout how wonderful their competition is, is in very bad taste.  And yes, I consider that trolling.  Does your wonderful company have a forum?  If not, I would recommend another greenegger forum for you to boast about your purchase.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Lit
    Options

Lit

That's only about 11% over dealer cost. Great deal! MSRP would be about $1,300.00. Unless this store is moving 100's of units, he may not be in the Egg business for long at those margins. If he's not making a good margin, at least he's making a lot of friends.

I live a half hour from the retail store in Tucker Georgia. You can find the package I mentioned in the $900 range in many local stores here. The ace hardware on Holcomb bridge road sells the large with a nest for $799 but if you don't want the nest they will give you $100 towards accessories. The guy I grew up with said the $669 was his cost for the package.
  • billyray
    billyray Posts: 1,275
    Options

Lit

What I didn't consider was where you were. We are on the west coast and the additional freight is what makes our prices higher. You can get really good deals, living that close to the mother ship.

Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small, PBC, PK360, Genesis Summit, Camp Chef Flattop, Smokefire 24, Traeger Pro Series 22 Pellet with a Smoke Daddy insert, Gateway 55 Gal. drum, SNS Kettle w/acc.
  • John Ross
    Options
    You're right, Devil... can't deny that... I tend ta shoot off at the mouth a bit more than I should. If they had that Large BGE in my neck of the woods in the $800 range I woulda grabbed it.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Johnny is starting to grow on me...
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Options
    This thread is starting to grow on me.....
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    MQ, it is getting pretty funny...
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I heard someone bought a clay pot at Walmart and cooked a lot of stuff on it. It was much less expensive than my BGE.

I feel like a fool for getting suckered into buying this Egg. I am going to join the clay pot cooking forum and act like I have one of those.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
  • John Ross
    John Ross Posts: 49
    edited February 2012
    Options
    Hey, more power to that guy! Alton Brown demonstrated it pretty good on one of his shows on Food Network. He took two large clay pots, used one as a base and one as a lid, created a heat source and smoked an out-of-this-world Boston butt on it.
  • Lit
    Options
    I saw some guys using a metal garbage can at the Atlanta BBQ festival.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Good luck getting your flower pot to 1100 degrees. And have fun with the freeze thaw cycle
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Andy Christy
    Options
    John Ross and Andy Christy-

I think you guys should join the "something kinda like a BGE" forum. 

I hear they talk about how their forum is cheaper and almost as good as this one.

Enjoy.
    I'm not downing the BGE in any way, shape or form. I have only ever used offset smokers & wanted to make sure I would like the kamado style cookers before I made the investment. I'm sorry if I offended you by not starting with the big brand name first. I plan on buying an XL. I'll hold my future  thoughts until I have the real  deal so I don't offend you again. 

• IrishDevl
    Options
    Stike, if you're smoking, why do you need an 1100 degree temp?
  • stike
    Options
    Steaks, pizza, etc.
    Thing aint just a smoker
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    Don't think many are taking temps to 1100 for any of those, probably more like 700, but my new friend John Ross was stating that a guy used two clay pots as a smoker, 250 no more.  I assume this was the beginning of kamados anyway.  Clay pots as cooking vessels.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    This was one of the coolest episodes on Bizarre foods; Moori Night in Greece.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhXgBwSCbR8&feature=related  - starts at around the three minute mark and so cool how he crates his ovens to cook the goat - probably overboard, but you can beat traditional cooking in any culture.
  • stike
    Options
    your lump at 700 is about 1800-200 degrees.  regardless of your searing temps (and I know a few  types who fire neaopolitan pizzas at 1000+ on the dreaded 'crappy forum'), i don't see it happening in an earthenware pot.  there's a reason they don't make the BGEs from terracotta anymore.

alton's planter-based smoker is a fine DIY-hack.  but it isn't comparable in any way to a BGE (or other ceramic kamado cooker)

• IrishDevl
    Options
    That is great, nobody was referring to that with any clay pot comments.
  • stike
    Options
    not sure what that means. 
    i was just clarifying that alton's clay-pot smoker is not a cost effective BGE-substitute, unless all you want to do is smoke on it.

• Squeezy
    Squeezy Posts: 1,102
    Options

IrishDevl

Thanks for sharing that video, I really enjoyed it!

Never eat anything passed through a window unless you're a seagull ... BGE Lg.
  • travisstrick
    Options
    Good vid. Now I'm hungry.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • IrishDevl
    Options
    You're welcome and I am hungry as well.  That skin must be to die for.
  • smokesniffer
    Options
    Very Cool Video. Thanks for sharing it. Interesting culture.
    Large, small, and a mini