Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whodathunkit

tjp1060
tjp1060 Posts: 55
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
Who would have thought that a hotdog could taste as good as it does when cooked on a BGE?! Best grilled dog I ever had. I would have taken a picture but i was too busy eating them. I think I ate four of 'em! 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    edited January 2012
    You sure got that right (some chili under all that):
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• I have cooked everything on myXLBGE but have not yet done burgers or dogs,Gonna have to try that
    LET'S EAT
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    Your dogs look great, Mickey !

Of all the things I've cooked on the Egg, I've never done hot dogs.  After seeing your pictures, it's high on my list now.  Hebrew National has a jumbo dog.  That's what I'll get, Egg it, and put mustard, onyawns, cheese, and Wolf brand chili on it.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Mickey
    Gary these are Nathans long with Wolf.....
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Gary the chili/cheese dogs with your pistol guarding them on the table. That is the old Gary pictures I can remember and a couple of shots of the yard......

• That actually happened when I was a bachelor, dating my future wife.  I had some steaks on the hibachi on my apartment patio.  I went out to check them, and they were gone.  I got my revolver, and was out in the courtyard calling out the bastard that stole my steaks.  A crowd formed and were totally silent.  They heard yells of "Mutha F....r", "Some Bi**h" and other euphemisms.

It just so happened that the two girls next door had stolen them as a joke and were going to return them, but got scared when they saw me brandishing my weapon.   :))

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• bubba tim
    bubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Guns, steaks, and chili? You boys in Texas take your food to a different level....lol
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
  • Mickey

Tim I just wish that could be said of our football again.....

• Don't feel too bad...My Atlanta Falcons are right there with ya.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Guns, steaks, and chili? You boys in Texas take your food to a different level....lol

Yes we do! :D

Tim I just wish that could be said of our football again.....

I don't know who you were watching, but my Bears did great this year! (of course, they'll go back to sucking next year without RG3)

Here's some dogs I did awhile back.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Who would have thought that a hotdog could taste as good as it does when cooked on a BGE?! Best grilled dog I ever had. I would have taken a picture but i was too busy eating them. I think I ate four of 'em! 
    How 'bout a chili cheese dog fatty?

Mike
    Omaha, NE

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    OMG BOWHUNR, you win.......... That is bacon over the top, correct.....

• BOWHUNR
    1lb. 80/20 and 1lb. Jimmy Dean hot sausage.  1 can of Wolf's beanless chili, onion, cheddar cheese and six hot dogs end to end.  Wrap it in a bacon weave and egg it!  Give it a Blue's Hog glaze towards the end.  Good eats!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • OMG ! 

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• BOWHUNR
    It'll give ya the meat sweats!!   :D  :))

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Mickey
    edited February 2012
    Bowhunr how did you cook it. Grill height and temp and direct or indirect please. I might have to do that at Salado. What is the test to find if cooked.

• BOWHUNR
    edited February 2012
    Indirect, platesetter legs up with a drip pan at 250* dome and applewood smoke.  I went for an internal temp of 160* (in the hot dogs) and that was about right.  If memory serves me correct it took about 3 - 3 1/2 hours.  **Edited to add I set the fatty on the cooling rack right on top of the grate.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • i hope my Cardiologist doesn't read this blog :)
  • BOWHUNR
    I agree.  Mine would not be very proud of me!!

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Is it a bad thing to want hot dogs for breakfast.  Just sayin'.
    Thomas Bubba's BBQ and Harris Family Catering Pigs on the Run Competition BBQ Team Medic-Que BBQ Team, LBGE, Party Q
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    when I use to run the chicken processing plants in east texas, the plants had a machine that would get all the remaining meat off the bones.   Simple drop the bird carcasses in the top of the machine and out the side bottom comes this continues tube of chicken meat.....still wonder how that machine could tell bone/cartilage from meat.....perfect filler for hot dogs and bologna...........well kinda perfect......LOL. t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot Posts: 6,959
    edited February 2012
    when I use to run the chicken processing plants in east texas.......

Is that you, Bo?  I mean Mr. Pilgrim?

Dripping Springs, Texas.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570

Mike
    Omaha, NE

That lattice work is very impressive. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BOWHUNR
    Thanks Ragtop.  There's no real trick to it.  Just build it on a cutting board and wrap it around the fatty.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • Griffin
    There is a trick....don't let the bacon get warm. Start out with it chilled.

Rowlett, Texas

• Mickey
    Is this something that can be fully done the day before and held to be cooked the next day (thinking of chili running out)?

• Griffin
    Never used chili, but I made the fatties that I cooked at the Plano Eggfest the day before, then wrapped in Saran wrap and held them in the fridge.

Rowlett, Texas

• BOWHUNR
    No problem if you have it sealed well.  The fact is, after I made that one it was wrapped in Saran Wrap and placed in the fridge for about six hours before cooking.  I think it actually helps the filling "set".  Let me know how it comes out Mickey and post some pics.

Mike
    Omaha, NE

Omaha, NE
  • tdbmd
    tdbmd Posts: 46
    I did brats on the Egg last night, I also think that you can tell the difference in taste on the Egg
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Sorry for poor photo quality, but here is one I did on a roasting pan in the egg last weekend. Turned out great. I cooked the bacon by itself on roasting pan first then put the spicey sausage down, cheddar dogs, chopped onions, a dash of rub, and strips of pepper jack cheese and rolled her up. Very strong flavor so cant eat a ton!!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013