Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

mold in a big green egg

Options
gooddogjudge
gooddogjudge Posts: 106
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
My cousin used his egg twice and then put it away for good b/c he says it developed so much funk (mold) on the inside b/w cooking episodes he had to spend too much time cleaning it to make it worth his while.

I think he's crazy.  He lives near the coast in SC, high humidity and high temps much of the year, but I've never heard of such.

Anybody heard anything similar to his problems?

Comments

• Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Heard of mold inside of eggs, most people just fire it up to a high temp close the dome and burn it away. No problems. Not using it very often could cause the mold.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I have had mold a couple of times.  It was because of not using it for months at a time.  I use it much more often now, and haven't had any in a couple of years.  There may also be a moisture issue with certain foods, temps, or environments too.  I don't know though.

It is easy to get rid of, like said before.  Just build a very hot fire, and it will burn off.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • Gato
    Gato Posts: 766
    Options
    Ask him to give it to you, tell him you can keep the mold out of it. Fire it up...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    My cousin used his egg twice and then put it away for good b/c he says it developed so much funk (mold) on the inside b/w cooking episodes he had to spend too much time cleaning it to make it worth his while.

I think he's crazy.  He lives near the coast in SC, high humidity and high temps much of the year, but I've never heard of such.

Anybody heard anything similar to his problems?

Tell him to fire it up to 500 * leave it there for a hour. Shut it down and when it cools take a ball of aluminum foil and brush the inside of the egg. That will remove all the gunk and burn off on the next cook.

Bob
    Alex City Al

Opelika, Alabama
  • hogaholic
    hogaholic Posts: 225
    Options
    This is similar to someone who doesn't like a particular car because it won't start after sitting in a garage for 11 months.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    Options

1+  The answer is "USE IT!"  Mold can't grow in something that has a fire in it every couple of days. 

But don't tell him that - tell him there are a lot of conversations about mold on this forum.  Then offer him $50 for it for your wife to use as a patio planter.  Take it home., then...... 

USE IT!

TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    hey tfoutch, would taking the lump and all the tools as well, be to much of an indication of what the real reason was for taking it away? Love your idea.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • gooddogjudge
    Options
    He cooks commercially every day at his workplace and just doesn't enjoy cooking for fun as much as the rest of us do.

But he can COOK!
  • tfoutch
    tfoutch Posts: 76
    Options
    Yeah, smokesniffer.  Needs to help all he can and get ALL of that junk out of his way!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee