Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.


In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

mold in a big green egg

gooddogjudgegooddogjudge Posts: 100
edited January 2012 in EggHead Forum
My cousin used his egg twice and then put it away for good b/c he says it developed so much funk (mold) on the inside b/w cooking episodes he had to spend too much time cleaning it to make it worth his while.

I think he's crazy.  He lives near the coast in SC, high humidity and high temps much of the year, but I've never heard of such.

Anybody heard anything similar to his problems?


Comments

  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Heard of mold inside of eggs, most people just fire it up to a high temp close the dome and burn it away. No problems. Not using it very often could cause the mold.
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I have had mold a couple of times.  It was because of not using it for months at a time.  I use it much more often now, and haven't had any in a couple of years.  There may also be a moisture issue with certain foods, temps, or environments too.  I don't know though.

    It is easy to get rid of, like said before.  Just build a very hot fire, and it will burn off.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • GatoGato Posts: 766
    Ask him to give it to you, tell him you can keep the mold out of it. Fire it up...
    Geaux Tigers!!!
  • My cousin used his egg twice and then put it away for good b/c he says it developed so much funk (mold) on the inside b/w cooking episodes he had to spend too much time cleaning it to make it worth his while.

    I think he's crazy.  He lives near the coast in SC, high humidity and high temps much of the year, but I've never heard of such.

    Anybody heard anything similar to his problems?


    Tell him to fire it up to 500 * leave it there for a hour. Shut it down and when it cools take a ball of aluminum foil and brush the inside of the egg. That will remove all the gunk and burn off on the next cook.

    Bob
    Alex City Al

    Alexander City,Al
  • hogaholichogaholic Posts: 225
    This is similar to someone who doesn't like a particular car because it won't start after sitting in a garage for 11 months.
    Jackson, Tennessee. VFL (Vol for Life)
  • tfoutchtfoutch Posts: 76

    1+  The answer is "USE IT!"  Mold can't grow in something that has a fire in it every couple of days. 

    But don't tell him that - tell him there are a lot of conversations about mold on this forum.  Then offer him $50 for it for your wife to use as a patio planter.  Take it home., then...... 

     USE IT!

    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee

  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    hey tfoutch, would taking the lump and all the tools as well, be to much of an indication of what the real reason was for taking it away? Love your idea.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • He cooks commercially every day at his workplace and just doesn't enjoy cooking for fun as much as the rest of us do.

    But he can COOK!
  • tfoutchtfoutch Posts: 76
    Yeah, smokesniffer.  Needs to help all he can and get ALL of that junk out of his way!
    TFOUTCH Algood, Tennessee
Sign In or Register to comment.
Click here for Forum Use Guidelines.