Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my new Staging Table

2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    LOL - at least it was made with a trashed wooden pallet I found in a dumpster about 10 years ago and not expensive wood!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RRP
    Thanks Jason!
  • Dimple's Mom
    Dimple's Mom Posts: 1,740
    Brilliant! I can't believe you used trash wood - it looks really nice.
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    How do you keep your ss grid so clean?

Looks almost new.

Spring "Learning As I Go" Chicken
    Spring Texas USA
  • RRP
    Thank you! Over the years I have found plenty of hard maple, white and red oak, and once even walnut used in trashed pallets. The usable pieces are small, but the price is right! OTOH guess I shouldn't say free considering the cost of my jointer and surface planer to dress them down! :laugh:
  • RRP
    That one is an auxiliary I use for class so it sees limited use and always gets cleaned. It was a prop for this picture.
  • Beli
    Beli Posts: 10,751
    Ron, great idea, just wondering what you use to hold the grill while hot?
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    :laugh:
    Hi Ron,
    Your like buddy, if something calls for a 2x4 he will use 4x4, something calls for a #12 wire he uses #10.

Way to Ron,
    Bordello
  • RRP
    Beli, The reason I only made it 12" long was so I could insert my handy-dandy Grill Lifter into the side of the grill and place it there.
    IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2309.jpg
  • RRP
    LOL - you mean like the heavy duty wren house I built years ago using scrap 2 x 10? :laugh:
  • Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    After I re-read your post it finally dawned on me what you were trying to do when you said "staging table." Great idea! I've never thought about 'staging' my grid before putting it on the Egg. That probably explains why my knuckle hair remains short and some items look like I just dumped them on the grid.

I got to thinking I may already have a solution to my trying it too.

When I built my Chicken Coop, I built in a slot under the Eggs to house an 18" Pizza Pan from our local restaurant supply house. It works extremely well and is easy to clean for other uses. Here's a photo of it showing with a Large grid on it.

Gridonpizzapanforstorage.jpg

It's very easy to transfer from and to the Egg using Lawn Ranger's Grid Lifter.

But now the pan takes on another task.

So I took this next photo to show it up on the counter where I would stage the food.

Gridonpizzapan.jpg

I immediately saw the benefit of having the pan under the grid while I positioned or seasoned or basted the meat.

Yes... Great idea Ron!

Thanks.

Spring "Keep On Cooking" Chicken
  • RRP
    There you have an easy solution! Yours is a round pan to contain a round grill - there must be something in my personality that sees a square solution to a round problem! :laugh:

Actually I also use a round pizza pan that is perforated with 1/2" holes to toast, warm and cook several items regularly and that's why I wanted a flat surface with no obstructions - except for the two metal pulls to serve as stops.