Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My attempt to honor CarWashMike

Rafter R
Rafter R Posts: 120
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When so many people speak so highly of a person as those here do of CarWashMike, I truely wish I could have met him. I am attempting to honor his legacy and cook his ribs today. However, I have a question or two.

I have never cooked a rib before today and when trying to remove the membrane ... I was successful on one rack but I do not think the second rack had the membrane. Do some racks come with the membrane already gone due to processing or did I just not try hard enough or do it right?

Your assistance , as always, is appreciated. :blush:

Comments

• Bacchus
    Bacchus Posts: 6,019
    Sometimes they come with membrane removed, but most likely all in same package will be the same. Also sometimes they just seem difficult to remove. I would just cut a slit(not deep) on the back side between each rib bone. It will allow the membrane(if present) to shrink up a bit and be almost unnoticeable.
    Good Luck.

PS..there are several ways to cook good ribs.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    I will add that previously frozen ribs will tend to have membranes that are difficult to pull. They tear easily and don't come off in 1 piece all the time.
  • Spring Hen
    Spring Hen Posts: 1,578
    DR....Lubbock is not that far from Plano so why don't you come over in November and join us at the Plano Eggfest? You'll meet a lot of CarWashMike's friends that are cooking his style....lots of fun...watch for the banner coming soon.
    Judy
    Covington, Louisiana USA
  • Rafter R
    Spring Hen...I'll do my best to make it. Has the date been set yet? I should be a lock in unless Tech is playing in Lubbock that weekend. Ribs have been on for 3 hrs now and all looks good. PIcs when we finish.
  • Wakefan
    Wakefan Posts: 51
    i have also struggled with removing membranes, the way i was originally shown was to start at the end an pull.
    Then i found my own method.
    My method is basically the way i rub butter under the skin of a chicken or turkey.
    1. I start in the middle (not the end).
    2. i work a finger in at a time until I have my most of my hand inside the membrane.
    3. then i stretch it out in each direction until it comes off.
    4. sometimes there are a few pieces left - for these i use a clean pair of piers.
    Note: once you rip up the membrane - this method does not work as well.

good luck with the ribs - I really like car wash mikes method.
    easy and tastey.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Mike was a great guy as well as a good friend, here's how I remove membranes. -RP

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=470685&catid=1
  • Rafter R
    I promised photos and here they are. start and finish. They turned out respectable for a first attempt, but I will try for a better tribute next time....
    Egg up to temp in new table
    P7090386.jpg

ribs ready to go...
    P7090383.jpg
    P7090385.jpg

a praying mantas trying to steal the goods!!
    P7030368.jpg

and we're done. I did not sauce them on the grill left that to individual taste.
    P7090387.jpg