Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Cast Iron - Buyer's Remorse

Chuck222Chuck222 Posts: 67
edited 2:12PM in EggHead Forum
Bought a cast iron pan to make some peach cobbler in the Egg (See below). One problem. I didn't measure the pan before I bought it and turns out, it's a smidge too big for my large Egg (for the lid to close). I'm thinking maybe I could use the Sawzall or a grinder and trim a little off the handle and this baby would fit fine. Any thoughts or suggestions besides buying an XL Egg to go with the skillet?

Cobbler:

IMG_1000000367.jpg

Chuck L

Comments

• PhilsGrillPhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Cut off the handle like everyone else.
  • Capt FrankCapt Frank Posts: 2,578
    A couple of minutes work with a sawsall and you are good to go :) :cheer:
  • Hell, I cut mine off with a plain ol' hacksaw. Didn't take but a minute.
  • RRPRRP Posts: 19,515
    been there done that!
    IMG_1641.jpg
    L, M, S, Mini
    Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • Chuck222Chuck222 Posts: 67
    Thanks for the suggestions. Nice handles. Could turn 'em into a trivet... ;)
  • WingRiderWingRider Posts: 326
    don't know....sounds like a good excuse for an XL..... :evil:
    I think a Lodge 8-Quart Dutch Oven might be easier to justify than XL Egg, but maybe I'm looking at this all wrong.

B)

Chuck
  • BigjohnBigjohn Posts: 144
    Hey Chuck, what size CI did you buy? I've been looking at the 12 inch skillet and believe it will just fit my large. If it won't, I'll get a larger one and cut the handle.
    Measure from handle to handle. Mine had a C-shape handle on one side and a long, traditional handle on the opposing side. If yours is less than 18-3/4" across you should be fine using it on a Large Egg.

Best,

Chuck L.
  • smbishopsmbishop Posts: 1,653
    trivet - I had to look it up! :laugh:
    Large, Small, and a LOT of Eggcessories!  Southlake, TX