Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LC-inspired Peking Duck (pic heavy)

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,518
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
LC, thanks for the inspiration and recipe, I finally did my peking duck this weekend, not as good as yours but passable. Not sure I'll do it again any time soon though, WAY too much work and mess!

link to LC's original post...
http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=1081731

a little digression, ribs from last night...

11d4f483.jpg

royal bath ingredients...

bb92cb96.jpg

ece21aef.jpg

rather than dunking, i poured over the bird set on a grid over a large basin in the sink, reboiled and poured again. repeated 3 or 4 times...

3729ddd1.jpg

after drying in fridge overnight...

5d81e19d.jpg

my variation, after the overnighter, it looked and smelled kind of bland, so i brushed the bird lightly with wife's favourite home blend duck sauce just before egging...

3429f0eb.jpg

propped up the breasts and legs with foil-wrapped plumbing copper to maximise skin exposure and reduce cleavage...

c94b4172.jpg

777fbdfc.jpg

used TJV's AR for the cook, pizza stone on level 1 with plumbing copper and shallow drip pan, bird on level 3, threw in two chunks of cherry and started cooking at 375, unfortunate I got distracted by the Birthday Mini Egg (see another post to come) and the temp ran high to 425. pulled at 190+ legs and 160+ breasts...

582826d4.jpg

cb5df56e.jpg

DW making the pancakes...

f7594cf1.jpg

leg skin very crispy and no fat, breast skins not as crispy but still good, see the fat under the breast skin? should've watched the temp and give it more time to render the fat, also wondered if piercing the breast skin and blanching longer would've helped. meat was juicy and delicious...

46063bd1.jpg

9f9cf0ce.jpg

to summarise, it was a fun and tasty cook in spite of the work and mess. bonus: collected lots of liquid gold (duck fat!), meat for lettuce wrapped duck tomorrow, bones for soup!

thanks for reading this far, have a great week! and thanks again to LC!

Gary
canuckland

Comments

• doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Options
    that skin looks amazing...nice work.
  • Austin Smoker
    Austin Smoker Posts: 1,467
    Options
    Man o Man that looks awesome! Great color on the skin.
  • Le Oeuf Vert
    Le Oeuf Vert Posts: 512
    Options
    Beautiful color. Looks like it was a great meal.
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Gary,

Just beautiful!

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• snake701uk
    snake701uk Posts: 187
    Options
    wow, looks great. Since I saw LC's post then I have been planning it, but not so easy. My compliments!
    Andy
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Thanks for sharing Gary, looks really good!
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Options
    Great color on that bird! I wouldn't know where to begin on a duck but you sure made it look great.
  • Eggsakley
    Eggsakley Posts: 1,019
    Options
    Looks wonderful. Great job.
  • MCR
    MCR Posts: 270
    Options
    Gary,

Look Gooood!
    Marc
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Nice Gary.. have not tackled anything like that yet..
  • chocdoc
    chocdoc Posts: 461
    Options
    Gorgeous Gary!
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Belated thanks for the compliments, miss you all oldtimers.
    canuckland
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Wow, Gary! So glad this cook was resurrected. Definitely bookmarked. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    Great cook.  Still got it ten plus years on!  Impressive finish shot!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice!! That looks beautiful, Gary. My mouth is watering. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Canugghead
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @lousubcap @caliking
    Thanks, probably shouldn't wait so long for the next one, can't guarantee another ten+ laps around the sun 😂
    canuckland
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    It seems your skills have improved over the last decade ;)

Very nicely done my friend!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ValleyGirl
    Options
    Wow, I'm drooling.  That looks awesome!

• Thapco
    Thapco Posts: 44
    Options
    was watching a  cooking show this past week and it was about Chinese cooking.  They said that Peking  Duck is NOT duck but a different way of cooking beef.   They said that it is a contraction of an original word such as duc and everybody seemed to think it was duck and it went from there.  
    Don't know but I always thought it was the bird duck.  Seems everybody else thinks that. 
  • RyanStl
    RyanStl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    It seems your skills have improved over the last decade ;)

Very nicely done my friend!
    Well, he switched from BGE to Traeger.
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @dstearn @CTMike congrats on your new toy but shame on me and you'll for cooking with pellet poopers. I couldn't find this vvv in my local supermarkets, what's your excuse? 😉

canuckland
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    edited February 2022
    Options
    @dstearn @CTMike congrats on your new toy but shame on me and you'll for cooking with pellet poopers. I couldn't find this vvv in my local supermarkets, what's your excuse? 😉

I thought I’d get a pass since my daughter in law is Canadian. ;) The boss is actually up in Ottawa for a week visiting the grandkids - I’m bummed that i couldn’t go and won’t get to see them again until June, hence the day drinking that has commenced.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    CTMike said:

I thought I’d get a pass since my daughter in law is Canadian. ;) The boss is actually up in Ottawa for a week visiting the grandkids - I’m bummed that i couldn’t go and won’t get to see them again until June, hence the day drinking that has commenced.
    All our kids and grandkids live in same town! When you visit Ottawa you can load up on USDA prime briskets and trade with @GrateEggspectations for maple leaf lump 😀
    canuckland
  • CTMike
    edited February 2022
    Options
    CTMike said:

All our kids and grandkids live in same town! When you visit Ottawa you can load up on USDA prime briskets and trade with @GrateEggspectations for maple leaf lump 😀
    I have been able to get the sugar maple lump at the local Ace hardware for a little over $20 US per bag. They have to special order it but only takes a couple days. 

I used to have my kid grab 4 bags at Lowe’s every time he went up there, but they don’t seem to carry it anymore. I love this stuff, very mild smoke flavor. 

Currently only have 3 bags - getting low:

MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @CTMike less hands on cooking with pellet pooper means even more time for day drinking, that's your real excuse, don't 'blame canada' or your DIL!
    canuckland
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CTMike - I order around 3 8kg bags of the Basques a year as I really like it. The aroma does have a sweetness to me but maybe I'm faking myself there.  I Have to source from a south of the border supplier.  Shipping is not included.

I believe @Canugghead was talking about Maple Leaf Charcoal which I have  searched for for years south of the border with no success.  If you can score that it would be worth a try (or so I have been told).
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CTMike
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CTMike - I order around 3 8kg bags of the Basques a year as I really like it. The aroma does have a sweetness to me but maybe I'm faking myself there.  I Have to source from a south of the border supplier.  Shipping is not included.

I believe @Canugghead was talking about Maple Leaf Charcoal which I have  searched for for years south of the border with no success.  If you can score that it would be worth a try (or so I have been told).
    You mean this stuff:

Have 3 or 4 bags of that also.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • lousubcap
    Options
    @CTMike How does it compare to the Basques?
  • CTMike
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @CTMike How does it compare to the Basques?
    To my unsophisticated nose, it is not as sweet smelling - but both seem to have a very neutral smoke flavor. I’m a fan of both but like the Basque’s better.

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT.