Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Newbie help needed!

Options
Smoking in the UK
Smoking in the UK Posts: 28
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello everyone,

I have ordered my large egg having seen a demo from the distributor here in the UK. I have been smoking on a Weber for 10 years now and fell in love with the BGE when I saw it at a food expo 2 weeks ago.

I have been told that I need a 'special' charcoal for the BGE but have always used the normal stuff available from hardware stores and garden centres locally. Is this OK or do I need to seek out something else? Also, as I am used to a Weber, what are your top tips?

Looking forward to hearing from all of you experts on the other side of the pond!

Best wishes

Alan

Comments

• BobinFla
    BobinFla Posts: 363
    Options
    What is the charcoal that you now use? Is it lump charcoal or briquettes?

Lump looks like tree parts that have been charred but still retain their "natural" shape.

Briquettes look like they have been molded into a "pillow" looking thing.

Both will work, but the lump is preferred because it produces less ash than the briquettes. More ash is in the briquettes because they add binders and fillers to make them hold their shape.

BOB
  • FSM-Meatball
    FSM-Meatball Posts: 215
    Options
    You should be using real lump charcoal, as bob says it will look like burned pieces of wood.

Check out this page on Naked Whiz http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm, Everything you ever wanted to know about lump charcoal is there. Check out Lump Reviews for a breakdown of the good and bad. Here in the US, the favorites seem to be BGE, Royal Oak, Wicked Good and some people like Cowboy.
  • Smoking in the UK
    Options
    Thanks guys - I use lump charcoal which is produced locally. I never use briquettes. The BGE agents here say that I should be buying their own lump charcoal, but I guess it's just so they can generate a few more £££s!!

Am looking forward to my first batch of ribs soon - when the rain stops!!
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,324
    Options
    Yes, if they can't get it out of your right pocket they'll try the left.