Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A year of eggin\' and a celebratory pork butt

Options
'Q Bruddah
'Q Bruddah Posts: 739
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I received my egg a year ago as a gift from someone who thought I would get more use out of it than he did. He was absolutely correct. I have grilled and smoked to my heart's content. Favorite meal? Pulled pork! It isn't so much the taste, although I love it, it is the process.

I put a couple of shoulders in the fridge yesterday afternoon with mustard and a local dry rub and wrapped in food service wrap. I had a late appointment with a lady from Tennessee and I told her what I was fixin' to do. She knew BBQ.

I got home and started the egg. I caught the temp on the way up, always a plus. I let it settle for a bit and napped about a half hour. At 11:15 I retrieved the meat, freshened up the rub and set it on to the grid. I noticed the temp coming up so I damped her down just a bit and went to bed. No checking! There is some satisfaction that I am smoking nekkid, no electronics.
I don't have anything against them and will probably own one this year but for now there is a purity of skill that I enjoy.

I slept like a baby through till 6AM. I checked the egg and it was a cozy 260° and the meat was 178°. Here just before 8AM it is at 195° and I am looking for 200°.

With fondness and some nostalgia I reminisced about those nervous early cooks. Checkin' and fiddlin' and worryin' and wondering if the fire would hold. Checking the forum every 15 minutes as if that alone would give me success.

There was the smell of smoke in the mornin' this morning. I scared a cat that had slept next to the warm egg on the bottom shelf.

What a difference a year makes. Lunch is almost ready. The best part is having a family I can share this with who understands-- who knows BBQ. Thanks for listening.

109_0162.jpg

Yes, I know the rules. No picture, no BBQ.

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
  • Vanzo
    Vanzo Posts: 125
    Options
    Good looking butts. I am cooking a 6 pounder today. Its at 135 right now, has a way to go yet.

Vanzo
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks, Kim, for the comment. As I was taking one of the shoulders off the grid I left a 3" by 5" patch of bark on the grid. As soon as I had the butts resting in the cooler I snatched that 'cook's portion' and awarded it to the one who had the wisdom to learn how to smoke pork. It was great with a cup of rich coffee, kinda like coffee and bacon, only gooder, well, maybe just different but good. Have yourself a great day.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Vanzo, you have good eating ahead. Enjoy the cook and the fruits of your labor.
  • BigA
    BigA Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Very nicley put! The egg is now apart of our lives and the family loves it too! :)
  • bees
    bees Posts: 335
    Options
    Good looking butts! Congrats on the year anniversary, sounds like you've gotten in a groove. Take care, Randy
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    Well into my third season (2.5 years Egging now) and still don't have the electronic gadgetry (don't think I want or need most, either)that hooks up to the BGE :ohmy:

The "art" is still way too much fun and with the "fear of failure" long by the wayside -- if it happens, it happens :laugh: -- live and learn from it.

Well, besides Congrats on the first year down, may I offer another sage word:

MANGOS

:woohoo:
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks, BigA, I agree that smoking and grilling with an Egg is more than an activity, it is a lifestyle.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Hey, Randy, thanks for the kind words. I must admit it feels more like old slippers than new shoes.
  • Mr Holloway
    Mr Holloway Posts: 2,034
    Options
    Great pic and congrats on your first year
    I am coming up on my one year anniversary
    What a crazy ride, this has been :laugh:
    I never thought food could taste this good :)

Shane
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    D.O.W. what a joy to hear from you this morning. Been doing mangoes fresh and dried lately. Absolutely love them for the taste and memories they conjure.

I agree with you that electronics are not necessary!! It is just that I have this restaurant production mentality going on and I always want to cook "pulled pork for a hundred" That is the only reason I would consider it. I know it is a controversial subject. I wouldn't dare tell someone else what to do, unless it was to eat more mangoes.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Amen to that, brother!! Congratulations back at you for "enduring that first year". I know its been great.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    nice post. It looks like you take the time to enjoy the little things and that is the secret to it all.
  • cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Great comentary on progression. Looks like perfection to me! Just need some mango sauce on some. ;):whistle:
    I will never own those gadgets.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Julie,
    Thanks for the comment. I notice you, too, are self employed. Sometimes that affords a respite from the fast paced world and a day to slow down shows up mid week. I treasure those times and this one was put to good use.

May we all use our time wisely.
  • 'Q Bruddah
    Options
    Thanks, Molly, It feels good to have a handle of this cook. It has always been an easy one but now I enjoy it in peace.

I would never try to convince you of anything against your purist' heart.

Thanks for the comment it is good to hear from you.