Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Popsicle...is this right?

SSN686
SSN686 Posts: 3,500
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Morning All:

Saw Popsicle's post last week about the PEACH ENCHILADAS IN SALADO and thought about doing them at the upcoming Sunshine State EggFest, but wanted to try them first. I wanted to do them on the Small Egg since I already had it going and a 9x13 pan wouldn't fit, so I used a 9" round pan. I was only able to get 7 shells into the pan, so I figured I should cut back on the sauce mixture too...used 3/4 cup sugar, 3/4 water & 3/4 stick butter...here they are waiting for the sauce (with cinnamin on top, plus I used Blueberry filling instead of Peach)...
S040211-07.jpg

And on the Egg after about 10 minutes...
S040211-08.jpg

And the finished product...
S040211-10.jpg

Popsicle's post said that the liquid would be absorbed and I had what I thought was quite a bit of liquid left, so I'm not sure if I did something wrong...BUT they were VERY tasty and something I will probably do again (but not at the Fest next week).

Popsicle (or anyone else that was at Salado) let me know if they look right...thanks!

Have a GREAT day!

Jay

Brandon, FL

Comments

• JCinNV
    JCinNV Posts: 141
    I made them one night last week, used 13x9 lasagne pan, I used the peach and like you had a lot of liquid in the pan, they were good will do again, :)
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,759
    Jay:

Looks as good as his offering in Denver last August!
    He topped it off with Redi-Whip . . .YUM!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Jay, your enchiladas look great, glad you tried them. A couple of things could have contributed to the excess liquid. One is the tortilla. We use ones from HEB, kind of thicker than normal, and they seem to absorb the liquid well. Another is the receipt is for 10 to 12 tortillas in the pan so you probably had more filling inside and fewer enchiladas to absorb the liquid. Maybe I should have said that most of the liquid will be absorbed and by the way, the liquid is excellent pored over the finished product when you serve.
    At fest we cut them in 1/3 and hit them with a shot of whipped cream to serve.
    Popsicle
    Willis Tx.