Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bed Bugs...and how to avoid them.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
Since a recent thread has a few bed bug comments, I thought that as a former exterminator and someone who spends close to 100 nights a year in hotels, I would provide a couple comment in case anyone makes any new friends this weekend. 

Bed bugs are small, about the size of a pencil eraser diameter at the biggest (google them if you want a picture).  But as they don’t really have a larval stage but rather instars they can be tiny and still bite you. The bite of an adult is like a big mosquito bite and can itch or not depending on the person. They haven’t ever been shown to spread any diseases. This will sound odd but they seem to prefer women over men and it’s been suggested it’s about body hair. 

When you get where you’re staying, check the bed for blood spots on the mattress and area around the bed. Look under the sheets, if the sheets are changed as they should be in a hotel, you won’t see anything until you pull them off. The trim around the edges of mattresses is often a spot to look because bed bugs live in cracks. Look for small folds, cracks like between a plastic corner protector and the mattress etc. Too many to list. The blood spots are from their poop, not feeding. But if you wake up and there are fresh blood spots on sheets etc, that’s a sign you may want to look closer. You can probe cracks in the bed frame and around the bed and see if anything shows up there too. You won’t likely see them in the bed as they only seem to feed when you’re asleep. I have found a dead one in my bed before but only once. I expect it choked to death on my saturated fat and cholesterol thickened blood. 

They spread by getting into baggage or clothes and moving from location to location. 

To to avoid them, here are a few tips.

Don’t leave luggage on a spare bed. That’s the worst thing you can do. And also don’t leave it on any dressing tables or that strap thing that luggage sits on. The best place to leave your bag to avoid taking them home is in the bathroom because no one sleeps in there (insert Buttblast joke here) and usually it’s all tiled and grouted so there are no cracks to live in. Cracks are bad (2nd BB joke here). Cast iron beds became popular because they didn’t harbour bed bugs as readily as wooden beds, not as much for their decorative character. 

The one thing that kills them is heat. When I travel I only use soft sided bags and not hard luggage. When I get home my clothes, all my clothes even if I didn’t wear them, go directly into the washer. If I’m suspicious the bag goes in too or if your worried about zippers and clasps hurting the clothes do it separate. Wash everything in HOT water and place directly in the dryer INCLUDING the bag (which I shoved in there when I emptied it) and run the dryer for a full cycle. If for some reason I can’t get them into the washer/dryer ASAP, I leave them outside until I can or I’ve even tossed the bag into the freezer. You do NOT want these things in your home. They can be a **** to get rid of and will require at least one insecticide crack and crevice treatment. 

I have stayed in some nice places that had them. Cost and cleanliness doesn't mean anything. Take some precautions and you can either identify them and ask to be moved or ensure you don’t take the little buggers home with you. 

Sleep tight...and don’t let the bed bugs bite. 

Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    @gmac.  I use a liberal paste of Dukes mayo in my hair thanks to your recommendations. 

Hope all is well in the great white north. 

Now if youll excuse me, I have to scratch again. That lady got in my head. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That is many words. I will read them at a future date.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Thanks for the advice and friggin nightmare fuel man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • gmac
    edited April 2018
    Options
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    This thread made me itchy.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    A long a co worker had them, it was bad. He was under siege. I remember him telling me how he finally got rid of them.

first, he rented a new apartment, gave final notice on his old apartment. 

He ordered new clothes, went to a local gym, stripped down, threw old clothes into trash can, took long hot shower, opened new box of clothes, changed into them

went to new apartment and started his new life

i’m not trying to be funny, he actually did this .. thou I am laughing recalling him telling me this story some twenty years ago.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Me reading this thread.......

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    A long a co worker had them, it was bad. He was under siege. I remember him telling me how he finally got rid of them.

first, he rented a new apartment, gave final notice on his old apartment. 

He ordered new clothes, went to a local gym, stripped down, threw old clothes into trash can, took long hot shower, opened new box of clothes, changed into them

went to new apartment and started his new life

i’m not trying to be funny, he actually did this .. thou I am laughing recalling him telling me this story some twenty years ago.
    That is reminiscent of stories I've heard, except instead of leaving an apartment, the people left their home.

I think they can be incredibly stubborn bugs and hard to get rid of.  No bueno.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Thanks.
    Always fun when patients bring them in to the hospital.

Have done the dryer thing with scrubs and shoes a few times.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Learn something new dang near every day here.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• gmac
    Options
    I’m feeling like maybe I shouldn’t do the one on lice then?  
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Cashfan
    Cashfan Posts: 416
    Options
    gmac said:
    I’m feeling like maybe I shouldn’t do the one on lice then?  
    I'd rather see a bug thread than a snake thread any day.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    H
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    picked up a  mattress on the curb the other day, much nicer than mine, maybe i should take a closer look =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gmac
    Options
    picked up a  mattress on the curb the other day, much nicer than mine, maybe i should take a closer look =)
    And now you know what to look for. 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Just call these guys 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    Just call these guys 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    double tap 
    Jacksonville FL
  • gmac
    Options
    @gmac.  I use a liberal paste of Dukes mayo in my hair thanks to your recommendations. 

Hope all is well in the great white north. 

Now if youll excuse me, I have to scratch again. That lady got in my head. 
    Don’t waste the Dukes. Send it to me. You have the address. 
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    They can also survive for 12-16 months without feeding. 
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Ace hardware sells a natural bug killer.  It is concentrated orange oil .  I use it for flies but the label says it kills bed bugs too

I am away from my storage shed right now but ill oost the name of that stuff 

It smells awesome but Cant be used aeound fish ponds because it kills certain pets.  Safe around your dog tho!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Thanks for the tips.  I don't travel much anymore but you've given me some things to look for.  I've read that, once infested, they're nearly impossible to get rid of.   :s

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...