Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Last-minute change of plans hoping the turbo butt will work

Options
 My wife just called me to inform me that our dinner plans canceled for tonight and she’s going to have a few friends over so let’s make pulled pork I am literally just leaving my Butcher it is 11:30 AM and I have a 6 1/2 pound bone in pork butt I’m gonna go for raised indirect 350 I’m guessing 40 minutes per pound is a good gauge does that sound right.  By the time I get home prep butt and get Egg to temp it won’t be 1230 1 o’clock in which means butt won’t be ready till 5 o’clock if all goes well and my figuring correct or am I in for a disappointing last-minute Chinese meal. We plan on eating at 6-7
Long Island NY    
1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    You're fine. I would wrap it at the stall if you're worried about it 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    You can do it. Make your wife light the damn thing.
    Mountain View, CA
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
     I left that part out was going to use drip pan and wrap in stall if stall happened late during the day but it stall happens sooner than expected I may let it go naked 
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
     I would if she was home she’s running around doing errands as well 
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Next time just audible for spatched chix-much easier and eliminates the finish-line stress.  Good luck bringing it home.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    At higher temperatures, the stall should be minimal and likely non existent. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Okay pork butt seasoned, Just waiting for egg to stabilize.
    I did a little something different today so well she how it plays out.
    6.5lb. butt bone in, I put slices all throughout the butt varying dept of slice.
    I crushed 5 cloves garlic and mixed with EVOO, Oregano, 1 whole lemon squeezed. I rubbed the above mixture all over the butt and into the slits as best I could.
    Then I did 2 good coats of Byron Butt Rub, in the meantime I have orange juice in the drip pan.
    I just combined a few different recipes and figured this was a last minute thing that wasn't suppose to be so why not try something and if the results aren't what I wanted no big loss. We all know it was a last minute thing
    Now does this look like enough rub?

Long Island NY    
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Throw it in the oven until the egg is stable.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    You got this.

And, yes that looks like an appropriate amount of rub.  Especially if there is some in the cracks.  

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    I would not wrap during a turbo. Just power through the stall if it even stalls. Also, from what I've read, I'd skip the drip pan.  
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • mlc2013
    Options
    dmchicago
    I normally do a dry drip pan but my mom (who does not grill but makes a mean pernil in the oven) is telling me to do the OJ in the bottom and i can thank her later. So for this cook i listened and im giving it a try. But all the turbo butt threads I read all listed a drip pan in it, I have never done a turbo before but always use a drip in my low and slow butts. If this comes out bad ill try w/o drip hell who am i kidding ill try w/o drip even if this comes out good im always playing trying to see what I can change (most always for the worse) if it isn't broke dont fix it should be my motto but i like i wonder what would happen if i try this instead

Long Island NY    
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    @mlc2013

Sorry, I wasn't clear in my post. I wouldn't use liquid in a drip pan. I do use a drip pan to catch fat drippings raised off the platesetter with nuts.

Good luck!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    I wouldn't do turbo without a pan.  With the cooking temp at 350, the platesetter gets really hot - and can radiate heat to the bottom of your meat.  I've burned some turbo ribs that way.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• mlc2013
    Options
    dmchicago + Foghorn noted thanks for the input I will be sure to always use a drip pan and as far as liquid I can only assume the the OJ has cooked off by now and burned the drip pan but I haven't check it yet but if it did Ill be sure to send a photo to my mom and perhaps the drip pan for her to clean (LOL) 
    I said that with such authority but in reality ill tell my mom she was right regardless and say thank you.

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    butt has been on since a 1:10 and grate temp has been a solid 350, Dome temp has been reading 300 (I guess I have to calibrate the dome quake as I have never done it yet or the Diqi Q probe is not right either way the IT is 173 I will wait till it breaks 185 before I open up the egg to take a look, at that time ill use the thermapen to get an IT to see if the Diqi Q probe is accurate. The set up im using right now is a spider with 16" platesetter, AR Rig with Drip pan on bottom bar and grate and butt on top of rack have grate probe is on the top grate close to the butt out 1.5" away from butt so I would assume if Diqi Q is reading close to accurate (once I thermapen) then I definitely need to calibrate the dome temp gauge.

Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    Okay just checked in my Digi Q read IT of 184 but the thermapen said 177 (not to far off plus could just be a different part of the protein) so Im assuming my dome therm is off and I need to calibrate. Before I start searching for calibrating instructions can the stock BGE dome temp gauge be adjusted?
    Here are some photos of the progression
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    and just as I thought the OJ is burnt to a crisp in drip pan Thanks Mom!!
    Long Island NY    
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Couple of things-
    Dome thermo is an easy one-point check.  Boil some water-insert thermo note temp.  Use nut on the back of the thermo to adjust out the off-set then recheck.
    Liquid in a pan-not an issue if running with a controller but if not and the liquid boils off then the BGE temp will climb to the natural vent setting for a non liquid cook.  (The liquid is a heat sink til it's gone).  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    My dome thermometer is calibrated and so is my grate thermometer. At higher temps, the dome and grate will be noticeably different. For low and slows, they will eventually settle to be the same or close enough to make no difference. Pick either dome or grate to do your cooking and stick with it. I am a grate temp guy. It is good to know how to cook with the dome in case of thermometer failure or when you have a lot cooking or a huge brisket and there is no room for a grate probe.   
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • mlc2013
    edited March 2018
    Options
    5:45 probe like butter bone has a little wiggle IT 198-205 it depends where you probe going to leave for a few minutes more would like bone to come out easy not just wiggle
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options

Long Island NY    
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Get in my belly!
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    It’s done.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mlc2013
    Options
    bgebrent yeah i pulled it I licked my fingers after testing the bone and I was like need you now letting it rest for a few then I will shred
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
    I can not believe this is the best Butt I have ever had. Its juicy and full of flavor with a great heat kick Byrons rub get 2 thumbs up from me
    Long Island NY    
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Maybe you should thank your mom. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• mlc2013
    Options
    Maybe you should thank your mom. =)
    already did
    Long Island NY    
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    Great job 
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • mlc2013
    Options
    You know it was good when 4 people ate every last bit and are still sitting around the table talking about how good it was and how stuffed we are
    Long Island NY    
  • mlc2013
    Options
     Today I was wishing I wasn’t such a fat ass yesterday and we didn’t eat all that pulled pork I would really love a pork Sammy right now 
    Long Island NY