Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help me out with low-carb/paleo on the Egg

Options
This is my belated NY resolution that I want to try this winter,  but I can't think of much of anything besides meat, broccoli, tomatoes, and avocados to buy...thats actually not much of an exaggeration of my first trip to HEB.

Any good recipes on the egg, oven, instant pot or otherwise to get this diet kickstarted?

Especially easy stuff!
Gittin' there...

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,768
    edited January 2018
    Options
    You left out fish- Personally I love a great Steak Chicken or any Protein Salad, On the weekends On my Cooker whatever protein I am doing I make extra for the week. I will slice up chicken breasts tri tip rib eye , whatever it may be...Goes on Salad Greens with Fresh Onions Tomato Avacado  a light bit of a Not Mild Cheese ( anything that a little goes a long way) and for dressing......Yellow Mustard , nothing with oil =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    pepperoni crisps or crisp up some prosciutto in a wok or broiler. makes a good snack. shrimp lejon or green lightning shrimp poured on top of a steak ;)  spice up thin pork chops and freeze, grill from frozen. coleslaw
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FearlessTheEggNoob
    FearlessTheEggNoob Posts: 888
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Olive oil is no bueno?

Pepperoni chips and guacamole? Now that's what I'm talking about.
    Gittin' there...
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Olive oil is bueno.  Don't guzzle it straight from the bottle.  A couple teaspoons with some balsamic vinegar will dress a metric crap load of salad, don't be afraid of it.

I'd recommend tracking your food intake for a  couple of weeks at least until you develop an eye for what you are eating.  Still gotta watch your calories - 500 extra calories of good food still equals a pound of gained weight per week.  Tracking your intake allows you to track your macros to get them where you want them to be.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Olive oil is no bueno?

Good olive oil, avocado oil, and a few others are fine, but you're supposed to stay away from canola and other oils that can have other stuff in them.  Get a tub of ghee from Costco to use instead of butter.   

Steak, burgers on boston lettuce (wrap), sweet potatoes, chicken salad if you make your own mayo, tamales, meat balls, etc.  The main course isn't hard, it's the sides that are tough.

Whole family has been on a no gluten, no dairy elimination diet since 1/3 on advice from my gastro doc.  Late next week we get to start re-introducing dairy and/or gluten to see which ones trigger the problems.

Other than being expensive and a pain in the ass to shop for, I really haven't had any cravings.  I already eat a ton of fruit instead of sweets, so dumping that and dairy really wasn't an issue.  Snack foods are the hardest part other than fruit.  Go to Trader Joes and load up on dried fruits, trail mix, parsnip and plantain chips......just make sure it's all the no-added sugar stuff. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Eggs ok?  You can go far with eggs, you can put anything in a frittata.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    edited January 2018
    Options
    The truest time tested diet there is is pretty easy, eat as many plants as you can

for paleo eat like a caveman - nuts berries veggies and meat
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Legume said:
    Eggs ok?  You can go far with eggs, you can put anything in a frittata.
    Two poached eggs on top of oatmeal with Hot Sauce- my breakfast favorite!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    Olive oil is no bueno?

most ive seen says olive oil is acceptable
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hans61
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Olive oil is okay but a caveman wouldn’t have had it. 

Isnt the theory of the Paleo diet that our guts evolved over thousands of years to that diet and to follow the diet you should  only eat what a caveman would eat
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Olive oil is no bueno?

most ive seen says olive oil is acceptable
    I love it and it is good for you ( to an extent) just on salad I like plain mustard
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,685
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    ........  only eat what a caveman would eat

• FearlessTheEggNoob
    Options
    You squirt yellow mustard over a salad like other folks use ranch dressing? I'm curious enough to try it.
    Gittin' there...
  • lkapigian
    Options
    You squirt yellow mustard over a salad like other folks use ranch dressing? I'm curious enough to try it.
    I have had more than 1 odd look when I do it, and converted the same amount of people....
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Hans61 said:

Isnt the theory of the Paleo diet that our guts evolved over thousands of years to that diet and to follow the diet you should  only eat what a caveman would eat
    That is the commonly stated basis for going Paleo.  But different Paleo diets existed so you should have some way to choose the proper one for your genetic makeup.  Insects are not mentioned much, but were an important part of the Paleo diet. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kalyn's Kitchen has the best low carb recipes I've found. Every single one of them that I have ever made have been fantastic. This was before the paleo craze hit so many of the recipe's are not Paleo specific but they are low carb and they are tasty. We still make her pan-seared Chicken in tarragon mustard sauce with her cauliflower puree all the time and we found it 10 years ago.

https://kalynskitchen.com/

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I see she has updated her page to reflect several styles of low carb eating. she has buttons that say "can be paleo". looks like you can Click on that and it modifies the recipe to the way you are eating. I highly recommend trying some of her stuff. She's good with the low carb-y stuff for sure.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Hans61
    Options
    Hans61 said:

That is the commonly stated basis for going Paleo.  But different Paleo diets existed so you should have some way to choose the proper one for your genetic makeup.  Insects are not mentioned much, but were an important part of the Paleo diet. 
    https://youtu.be/iDR-WT7pXGI
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • Markarm4119
    Options
    Another twist to salad dressing is no sugar added salsa !
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I’ve used this site for 3yrs.  Good stuff just use the selection tab for you preference 

https://www.skinnytaste.com/

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lkapigian
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Another twist to salad dressing is no sugar added salsa !
    This as well...my second favorite
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Not trying to be smart but do some people add sugar to their salsa?
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    If you are going low carb, grill a chicken breast ( boneless or not) top it with salsa when it almost to temp then put a slice of pepper jack cheese to melt. Add a couple slices of avacado when taken off the egg. Boneless are a little easier to handle 
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    Not trying to be smart but do some people add sugar to their salsa?
    Almost all prepared food has some form of sugar in it.

It might not say sugar, but there's sugar...

http://www.sugarbyhalf.com/how_spot_added_sugar