Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The Cleaver and the chix

Options
lousubcap
lousubcap Posts: 32,403
As some of you know, I was the lucky (#38) recipient of a great hand-crafted cleaver (friggin sharp) made by @gmac which arrived last Friday.  A true work of skill and art-good that it travels with a sheath-did I mentioned sharp...Here it is;

At my on-line award ceremony I committed to posting the first cook using the cleaver.  Since my knife and photo skills are quite limited I thought about some simple cook but decided that such a great piece of work needed better than that.  So, it was time (after about a two year hiatus) to go with the Jaques Pepin Chix Ballotine (and I did not use the knife very much).   This thing is sharp.  I will confess that I did use a paring knife to scrape the thigh and leg bones.  Here's the chix before adding the stuffing:  (Not as bad a hack-job as I was anticipating-(I did have another chix ready to tackle if needed)).

Challenging part history-here's the chix on the BGE rolling along.

For the finish-sliced by that sharp cleaver:

Another big thank-you to @gmac for definitely going way beyond with his generosity, skill-set and craftsmanship.  What a gesture to make for those of us on the forum.  A truly unique gift that I will treat with the utmost respect.
Thanks for looking.  

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• SmokingPiney
    SmokingPiney Posts: 2,282
    Options
    Nice!

Cleavers scare the beejesus out of me - I have visions of lopped off fingers on the cutting board. Mandolines are a close second, and I have personal experience with shaved off fingertips with them.  :o
    South Jersey Pine Barrens. XL BGE , Assassin 24, Weber Kettle, CharBroil gasser, AMNPS 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    What no severed digits? :smiley:
    Meal looks great you ole salty dog. Sweet cleaver! :plus_one:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Super cool Cap!  Great looking stuffed bird and that's a beautiful gift from brother @gmac.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • JohnnyTarheel
    JohnnyTarheel Posts: 6,541
    Options
    Great looking cook... awesome use of the cleaver....
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Awesome, from one A's fan to another! I bet that puppy would turn a rack of side ribs into some mighty fine Chinese style ribs. If you need some garlic VH sauce, let me know....will send you some. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Well deserved and a great kick off with the bird. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Over the top cook right there!!   

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Great cook. Great cleaver. Great gesture. 

Greatness all around :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Mighty fine cook there, 'Cap. Talking about the stars lining up.
    I will use the number 38 on my next lotto ticket.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Very cool and congrats on keeping all your parts intact!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • PirateBill
    PirateBill Posts: 259
    Options

That cook looks awesome and the Cleaver is a work of art for sure!

Fight like a man so you don't die like a dog

- Calico Jack Rackham

1,000 watt Sharp - 1.1 Cu. Ft. Mid-Size Microwave and one sweet steakager (retail 229$) 

Scruffy City a.k.a. Knoxville, TN.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Great cook!! You and the beautiful cleaver did that chicken justice.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    This is what the Egg Experience is all about. Hats off the GMAC and really nice cook lousubcap. 
    I am going to try to make that knife on my next knife making. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Nice cleaver and cook.  Very deserving of the item too!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    @lousubcap Very glad to see that it made it. Beauty cook on the chicken. Looks like you did a great job. 
    Glad you liked it and honestly, glad it didn't shatter into a million pieces when you unboxed it. 
    Yes. It is sharp, I almost put a warning label on it. If anyone asks about best sharpening system, I will submit that as support for Japanese water stones. 

Best of luck with it and I'm so happy to see it went to someone who will put it to use. 
    Take care. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.