Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dry aging.

Options
Hey there dry agers, quick question. 
Do you like to leave the ribs on a rib roast before you age or always take off after?

I've done two full 7 bones before and always cut the ribs off after. I low and slowed the ribs alone after I removed them. Some of it was great and others like the end ribs were too hard and stringy. 

So will it matter if I take them off first or leave them on to protect the roast? 

If you think leave them on then when I'm done aging I'm going to just bone the ribs out and off for burger grind, if taking them.off first won't matter I'll keep them as ribs as my 4 and 5 yr olds get a kick out of chewing on them. 

Comments

• EggMcMic
    EggMcMic Posts: 340
    Options
    I have only aged two, but I like leaving the ribs in. I will then cut a few of the steaks leaving the bones in as well. Just my preference and my experience is limited. 
    EggMcMcc
    Central Illinois
    First L BGE July 2016, RecTec, Traeger, Weber, Campchef
    Second BGE, a MMX, February 2017
    Third BGE, another large, May, 2017
    Added another griddle (BassPro) December 2017
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Taking the ribs off before aging is perfectly fine if that's your preference.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    You can take them off or leave them on -whichever you prefer. Personally, I take them off and cook them separately. Once the roast is cut off the bone I tie as round as possible. Here is one just before cutting. 

And after. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,978
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:

Damn that looks perfect.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • CanadianAnvil
    CanadianAnvil Posts: 226
    Options
    So really either. I think I'll leave them on, age it 50 days like in the past. 
    When done cut off the ribs, bone them out for awesome burgers.